1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Southern Alberta one Weekend at a time

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Lycan1, Jun 9, 2013.

1. m11harker

m11harker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Before the snow I was thinking cochrane to the 40 then 40 to 579 Harold creek road and out to water valley
  2. m11harker

m11harker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My wife will be with me as well
  3. sirvelo

sirvelo Miles to go before I sleep Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmm I wonder how soggy that will be? I have taken that run many times but when I was on it early April last year the road had lots of running water at the front end heading toward Water Valley off of 40. Make sure you and your wife stop at the saloon in Water Valley for a burger. My wife rides a Honda VFR 1200 and a Honda Rebel 1100 so no go on that road for her. She did follow me in her Jeep last year and joined me at the saloon.
    ColumbusTheExplorer likes this.
  4. m11harker

m11harker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I read somewhere that the solan had to close its doors due to the PLANdemic
    cal08 likes this.
  5. sirvelo

sirvelo Miles to go before I sleep Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was open last year during Covid, I went there a few times but I see they posted a closure 4 days ago due a positive Covid 19 test. "We are closing to allow our staff to self isolate and will be doing a deep clean on our building." They look forward to reopening soon. Sigh, and so it goes.
  6. m11harker

m11harker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So sad right. Not trying to start anything but this Covid Bull$*%@ has taken down lots of good business and honest people trying to make a living
    cal08 and Cal like this.
  7. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Go a bit further over the bridge at Mountain Aire then at the top of the hill jump on two 312 to Sundre and take the Bergen back road. A&W in Sundre South on 760, over to RR 53B, twp 304, RR 54 to 579 to Water Valley, RR 50, twp 284, hwy 22, twp 280A, twp 275, RR 34, Twp 272, RR 25 south. Over to RR24 to 144 Ave and home.

Map that baby out!
  8. m11harker

m11harker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WOW that's a saucy little route, if the snow didn't shut down the roads I'll see what i can get done
  9. m11harker

m11harker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    She’s mapped and ready, this is an open invite to anyone that would like to go! If we want to meet somewhere in cochrane on Saturday morning. Keeping in mind I won’t be flying down the gravel with my wife on the back

Attached Files:

10. m11harker

m11harker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah the KTM my ride maps isn’t perfect but I’d like to try it before I go get lost on Vancouver island for the first week and a half in July
  11. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Your map takes you up by Bearberry. You missed Coal camp road. After the blue bridge at mountain Aire. You turn right, climb the hill and turn right at the first proper road. It winds along the river and becomes pavement. It meets 584 just west of Sundre. Your route take you up further on 40 before going east to 584 much higher up. Nothing wrong with that route either. I just like Coal camp road.
  12. m11harker

m11harker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got it changed now good eye

Attached Files:

Lycan1 likes this.
  13. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Looks like you timed your return perfectly. Those are pretty ominous clouds and snow. And the wind did eventually pick up 'a bit'.

pictor1 likes this.
  14. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    There are a few interested in a ride and going NW is the only loop route without a ton of paved connectors. Too many gates this time of year for SW or west.

Typically the Tim's in Cochrane by the Hwy is the meetup of choice. Good fuel available at the Shell in Cochrane the new one at the top of the hill or the original one by the Fasgas.
    The bigger the group the longer the time the loop would take with stops to BS, take pictures etc. The Super tankers like mine can likely do the loop without fuel up if filled in Calgary but anyone else should fill in Cochrane as Sundre is the next available.

Then time at Cochrane? Mornings are still cold early on and 10 am before reasonable. Calgary is warm by comparison to Waiprous so what time to meet for anyone interested?
    m11harker likes this.
  15. flossandfly

flossandfly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will join on the xr650r if you go. I will bundle up too. :happay
    Lycan1 likes this.
  16. m11harker

m11harker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We had a change of plans we are going to go on Friday ride safe guys
    Lycan1 likes this.
  17. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Bundle up and ride safe. Here is a refined GPS track put together with a bunch of clips of various rides with a few basic POIs. Personally and from Floss& Fly intel, I'd avoid the optional "For those about to Mud, We salute you" track and stay on the gravel. Added just in case your life is going too well and you like drama and strife. Do that one in mid summer when dry if your not a masochist.

Attached Files:

m11harker likes this.
  18. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just checked their FB page and it seems to be back open.
    sirvelo likes this.
  19. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Found nearby, just down a few doors from the grocery store by the fast gas in Black Diamond: new chocolatier. Tried a few morsels of tastiness and they are quite good. He is missing a coffee machine, so if you need to tie the two together, they are in seperate locations. A definite would recommend/would buy again.
    superfunkomatic and Lycan1 like this.
  20. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2021 April 2nd

A bonus day without plan, without destination, just a vague direction and time.
    _MG_1900.jpg
    Abandoned Military installation near Alkali Lake... Or not. In reality, a familiar landmark just north of High River.

_MG_1902.jpg
    South of High River looking snowy in the front range. The wind steady but not problematic. Warm by 2 pm after a cold start.

_MG_1908.jpg
    When Google says road and reality disagrees. Once long ago perhaps, but there was a small creek in the gully and no remnants of a crossing.

_MG_1912.jpg
    Faces on the hillside.

Stay Dusty My Friends!
    MGV8 and superfunkomatic like this.