Southern Alberta one Weekend at a time

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Lycan1, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Capture.JPG
    Well, a little more skill needed to get down the steep hills apparently. Thanks for helping with the bike on that down hill. I hope your back doesn't feel that one.

I was determined not to let the biggest hill beat me this time, but Damn that mud is slippery without a full knobbie. The ice didn't help either.

Capture2.JPG

Going up the big hills was easy, no time to over-think, just go. What's the worst that could happen.....
  2. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Video from Yesterdays run to Margaret Lake. This was as we left the lake, coming back out.

Cal likes this.
  3. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Happy Halloween

A great grey day for a ride!

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0527.JPG

If it had to be the last, it was a blast.

4. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2015 Wrap Up in Video;

and in pictures;

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

What once was an Emerald City is now a Crystal Town

The season teeters on the brink, the dawn revealing a thick crust of frost sparkling on the roof tops, lawns and vehicles. Exhaust curls up from thousands of chimneys across the city as I look to the north and the approach of winter. The word escapes my lips with bitter contempt as I contemplate my last ride of the season. The cold front that approaches will be dramatic, plunging this part of the world into winter with little hope of reprieve for 5 months. This is my 50th experience with this so why it should still feel so disparaging is a wonder. The answer to that is easy, but getting past the feeling, much less so.

I pushed the season as far as was safe, riding into November for the first time in many years. I remember a year where every month I managed at least one ride, but that was long ago and in recent memory Halloween was a challenge to get to on two wheels. As October wore on the rides became shorter and the days without riding became more numerous, each opportunity to ride more cherished. Today's will be bitter-sweet and brief, with a 4 hour window with bearable temperatures. Tonight when the mercury falls there will be little recovery as the arctic air pushes its way southward to stay. It is this time of year that I begin to ponder where I might like to migrate to as I get older. My only tie to the north being my children, I dream of a life on the road on my bike.

All other thoughts were temporarily banished as I enjoyed every moment of the ride today. Once I fired up the engine, the responsibilities and troubles of life were on hold, and the pleasure of riding was all encompassing. Each shift, every corner, and twist of the throttle was a joy. The rumble of the engine, the hum of the tires, the wind rushing past and pulling at my body was ecstasy. Without a destination, I rode where each whim took me, stopping to capture the moments on camera occasionally. Finally as the light began to slip along with the degrees, I stopped to wash the bike, having found a bit of mud during my wanderings. If it was the year’s last ride it was a glorious one and I smiled as I wheeled up to my garage. It has been a strange season so who knows, perhaps there will yet be more. I am forever hopeful, but now 24 hours after that ride we indeed live in a Crystal town, no frost, but rather a thick blanket of snow, the air well below zero.

Lee Kroeker

This Morning.
    IMAG0182.jpg
  5. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great stuff Lee. I got out with some guys on Saturday and did the loop out of the Ghost South staging area. Great final real ride of the season I think. As I went out to my truck to come to work I notices the snow in the area...time to ski I suppose!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lycan1 likes this.
  6. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Stole another day from Old Man Winter. November 7th 2015.

IMG_0556.jpg
    Sheep River Valley.

IMG_0548.jpg
    Blue Rock Wilderness area.

IMG_0544.jpg
    November in the wild.

IMG_0536.jpg
    Frozen Ponds.

Kona990 and Phipsd like this.
  7. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent! What kind of lens was used for that frozen pond photo? I'd like to get together for a beer and talk trips, bikes and maybe you can teach me a few things about my camera!
    Lycan1 likes this.
  8. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    The 4th 6th and 7th (frozen Pond) shots were all taken with a 10-17mm Tokina Lens. The 1st and last two shots were tone mapped to various degrees using an effect available on Picasa. The balance of the shots were taken using a 50 mm f2 prime Canon lens with a polarizing filter.

IMG_0589.jpg
    This was also the 10-17 Tokina Lens.

I always shoot in "RAW" so that any mistakes in exposure or "white balance" can be corrected without issue.

After I have finished, and am happy with a shot, I convert and save it as a jpeg before uploading it to photobucket.

There are months of beer/ scotch drinking weather days ahead and I'd be happy to be of whatever assistance I can Cal. I'm available just about any weekend.
  9. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Today's Video. I found two green-lanes that I had before today not yet ridden. Hidden treasures, and so much fun!

IMG_0558.jpg

Kona990 likes this.
  10. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lee, it looks like you had another good year despite the economic challenges! Thanks for the vicarious ride along. David
    Lycan1 likes this.
  11. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Just making lemonade from what life provided. :)

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg
    Kona990 and Phipsd like this.
  12. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Gorge Creek road, south end from the parking lot today. Hiked in about 2 kms before turning around. The snow was deeper than anticipated and tough slogging for an out of shape office type. I'm working on it.

GOPR0219.JPG GOPR0220.JPG
  13. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was wondering how the x country skiing was, going to check the Kananaskis country trail report right now.
  14. Fatallybitten

Oddometer:
    Lee, I didn't realize you went anywhere without your orange steed. If you plan to do any more hikes like this one, you should invest in a pair of snowshoes. They make a world of difference. And if you are interested in trying before you buy, I have two pairs so we could do a stroll and you could give them a go. Cheers, David
  15. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I actually have a pair of wood & gut snowshoes from Waaaaaaaay back that still fit just fine and are in pristine condition. I think that I need to get in a bit better shape before using them though.

If I could figure out a way to take the Orange Steed out without spending a fortune on "winterizing" it, I would! A nice dual-ski front end with a track drive at the rear and it would be the most kick ass sled ever.

I will include you in the email for the next winter hiking expedition. The goal with the foot-adventures is to get in better shape for next riding season.

IMG_0967.jpg
  16. xscoobysnack

xscoobysnack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Include me too! I bought shoes last year but only used them a couple times and am not sure where to go nearby.
  17. Fatallybitten

Oddometer:
    West of Bragg Creek was good today. A little elevation gain is also a good thing for getting in shape. David

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Phipsd and Lycan1 like this.
  18. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Time To resurrect this thread rather than dump photos on the CTD thread.

I leave the giants stranded....
    IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg
    A little highwood history.

IMG_0016.jpg
    Standing at a crossroad in more ways than one.

IMG_0024.JPG
    I turn my gaze toward the front range.
    Kona990, Phipsd, cal08 and 4 others like this.
  19. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Catch Up time with some of my favorites from Weekend rides up to this point.

South of Cochrane by the tower.
    IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg
    Cochrane's old bridge.

IMG_0314.jpg
    East of Rockyford.

IMG_0134.jpg
    Hesketh Alberta.

Fantastic road allowance plowed under.
    Kona990, cal08, G-Mac and 1 other person like this.
  20. G-Mac

G-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing photos lycan1 I've got to do more Albert/BC discovery

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    Lycan1 likes this.