Southern Eye's Trail (IL/IN)

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Old 179, Apr 24, 2020.

1. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    My daughter and myself have had Horses in the past and still have a mini for my granddaughter on our farm, I do know what it's like to meet a loud bike or jeep on trail, but you can always ride a trail where it's horse only. there is bad blood between horse people and moto riders in the Shawnee, always has been, I agree with George, please be overly considerate when you come upon a horse rider, will it help the attitude of them towards us...….probably not, but we have to try, stock exhaust goes along way.
    Critic, DIRTLIFE757, Old 179 and 2 others like this.
  2. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reinforcing the responsibility we have as riders, when we are riding in your backyard which is the SNF. :-)

I welcome all comments/thoughts from you fellow Southern Illinois ADVRIDERS (here or a PM) who know your area and know the do/don'ts so I/we do no harm of future riding in the SNF!

Old 179
    Critic and sieg like this.
  3. Cline.matt1

Cline.matt1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe we always have these responsibilities not just when we are in our backyard areas.
    No one wants to loose places to ride and its all way to easy to do
    rustycager and Old 179 like this.
  4. rustycager

rustycager Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know both groups. I like mechanical things better if I'm on em but horses are cool. Sometimes they are breaking one when out though. So I'll echo the be respectful when out because horse people are different. Even if some can be assholes and hate all. Some just like the simple things and usually have land and voices. Usually good folks.
    Old 179 likes this.
  5. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    I was out a couple days ago and came up on a solo rider on a single lane paved road. Pulled over, flipped up helmet, and turned off engine. She stopped, thanked me and we had a nice little chat. Oddly enough, she said the road cyclists spook her horse , not much else. I guess riding on the road in semi-rural KY the horse hears and is familiar with all kinds of cars and trucks, tractors and motorcycles, mowers etc. The bicyclists quietly approach from behind and suddenly appear, spooking the horse. Something to think about.

That said, it's not the horses we need to worry about. The courtesy shown, whether necessary or not, is what matters.
    rustycager and Old 179 like this.
  6. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    Having seen hundreds of horse riders, the women, and the folks below the age of 40ish seem to be fine with us, the old farts past retirement age are the worst, dang near 100% of them will say something negative about you riding a motorcycle on there trails.
    Old 179 likes this.
  7. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's why you have two middle fingers to always have a response.

Sure it's not the first time the old hags have seen that, (or their horses).
    Old 179 likes this.
  8. Indy-WReckeR

Indy-WReckeR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode much of the red leg of the Hoosier Loop from Versailles to Madison. I can't really call it a complaint, but be advised that there is no gas stop until you reach Madison. I see this morning that there is one in Vevay. I carry a 1-gal Rotopax, and I used it. Later, I left the route at Brooksburg along 56 and the river to reach Madison and get gas in town there. Thanks to Old 179 for marking the locations on the map. BUT...plan ahead for your gas stop, because if you're just riding along the red line, you may not need the gas at the time you see the marker.

The Laughery Creek crossing was not too difficult, except the yabbo whose cabin is there on the south side chose to park his quad in the dry rut just as I crossed, wanting to watch. It forced me in to a sharper turn into the muddy, slippery adjacent rut and I almost took both of us out. Nice guy and all, but sheesh. The rocks above the water as you approach the crossing line were...fun.

One other creek crossing...is it Indian Kentuck?...Very steep entry from the north into the creek, and then a bit of a deep plunge. The way I took it was to scoot down the steep hill to the water's edge, stop, and then enter. Not sure how the dynamics would've worked otherwise. Maybe this would be easier going the other direction, trying to climb out of, rather than descending into the creek.

Anyway, I may eventually get over to the Paoli / Patoka section. I'm having to get further and further out from my home in Indy to tackle these. Indiana isn't Kentucky by any stretch, our roads simply don't compare to the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway, but Southern Eyes is our own kind of great. You don't realize how rural and isolated Indiana can still be.

upload_2021-6-28_8-47-16.png
    duckster1959, jtclark13 and Old 179 like this.
  9. Indy-WReckeR

Indy-WReckeR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's a nod to your "Coma" lyric! It's always been one of my favorites, a top 5 from GnR. "Suspended deep in a see of black..."
    Themastermike likes this.
  10. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for hitting some of the SET tracks. You earn a SET sticker. Look for a 2020 black Ford with black utility trailer at HNF in October, or Loosenuts ride this November and look me up! Not sure of your GPS device, but there is a waypoint directing you to Vevay for fuel if needed. There are several tracks that may have 80-120 mile sections that do not go past/near a fuel station, but waypoints were added directing you to fuel if needed. These tracks are set up more as a BDR style track and not a "organized event ride" where it is required to pass by a fuel station every 60 miles. Best to review the track beforehand for fuel, food and camping opportunities. Each section has a small write up as I was getting each section done and post. All info reference to correct page is on the first page.

You mention having to travel "farther" for the Paoli/Patoka area as the next area to ride. You realize that there are good SET tracks in the Bloomington, Nashville, and Morgantown area. Hoosier Loop is the best we have in this area. It is no Eastern Kentucky, but eastern Kentucky is no Moab Utah area which I did last month! Now the "seasonal" tracks for the Shawnee loop will be good that I am working on now. It would compare more to eastern Kentucky then to Southern Indiana.

Old 179
    Loose Nut and Brown3690 like this.
  11. Indy-WReckeR

Indy-WReckeR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the sticker offer. I don't expect you to remember every post by every rider enjoying your Trail, but I actually did ride the Brown County section last month. I also wrote about it earlier. I liked it really well. Of course I can redo the same section more than once, but I prefer to keep exploring.

I have been a sportbike rider for 25 years. For the most part, I and my riding buddy never plan for gas. We have never run out while riding, though we've come within 20 miles of empty before. But off-road and when the route is deliberately rural as with Southern Eyes, I can no longer be so faithful. I have to plan ahead for when to get gas. That said, I'm also getting used to my WR250R, which I've only had for about a year. I guess when the low fuel indicator lights, I still have a half gallon, which is 30-35 miles. I thought it was closer to 20. So with my 1 gallon Rotopax, I have over a 200 mile range.

Anyway, yes, as I noted in my original post, I saw the waypoint to leave the Trail and head to Vevay for gas. Yesterday when I rode though, I had forgotten my phone mount and had to keep it in my tank bag behind the plastic see-through window. So I wasn't tapping the waypoints for information as I normally would, and I missed that point. It's great that you had it in there, and next time I hope not to miss it.
    Old 179 likes this.
  12. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    *Clarification* My post 370 - Quote: "Hoosier Loop is the best we have in this area". Just hit me now how "arrogant" that unintentionally sounded. :(

Rephrase: "Hoosier Loop covers most of what is in this area".

The HNF, Shat, R4S, LN rides and others cover this area as well. We all approach setting up tracks in our own unique way. My main focus is non-pavement terrain and the location of gas, food and lodging is secondary.

Old 179
    Indy-WReckeR likes this.
  13. duckster1959

duckster1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like me and a friend are gonna run the part east of I65 Friday and Saturday if anybody wants to meet up.
    Old 179 likes this.
  14. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that friend of yours "one puddle Mike" ??? Just kidding!!!! @DIRTLIFE757 group will be in that same area Sat/Sun riding his Southeast Loop. In Friendship we found a neat water crossing because of a bridge closer at that time on HWY 62. Look on top of page 18. I show a map from April showing that diversion thru that parking lot to the north.

Old 179
    DIRTLIFE757 likes this.
  15. duckster1959

duckster1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. mr_10brook

mr_10brook Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also don't remember that from your final recording!

I was thinking" why don't I remember that?" !:baldy
  18. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe they were riding "routes" instead of "tracks" like somebody use to do??? :rofl
  19. mr_10brook

mr_10brook Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who me???

:drif
    Old 179 likes this.
  20. LukeMacPU

LukeMacPU Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lots of small creek beds like that are private property. Cool places to explore, but be careful.
    Old 179 likes this.