Southern Eye's Trail (IL/IN)

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Old 179, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, wise not to leave evidence in the cyber world.
    314ADV likes this.
  2. jtclark13

jtclark13 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I played on some of this route today, but the heat kept it fairly short. I slabbed it to Henryville and then picked up the Day 2 morning route and ran it backwards. I made it about 60 miles and decided to turn around and run it back to the end. I really liked some of the in and out sections, it let me get dirty :D I didn’t attempt the Rip Rap bridge, I could have gotten onto the bridge coming from the west, but I didn’t want to attempt getting out the other end. If someone was with me I think we could have “walked” it over the rocks between the two high piles, but didn’t want to try it alone. Can’t wait to ride more of it, I don’t think I’ve been on any of those roads before. Appreciate the hard work @Old 179!

74C451DA-5ECC-48C9-A1E6-F4A2CE335269.jpeg F1620829-06FB-4FA8-A438-14835E9EE214.jpeg 62E368C5-6736-435B-A808-65D8CD6C4FB2.jpeg 831BEC00-3375-44B3-8535-8B48AB69AA78.jpeg 53A6FBBA-0EE2-4D90-BBE6-2711240DC9E7.jpeg
    Old 179 and Brown3690 like this.
  3. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you got to run a little of it. :-)

Was that "gate" where you jumped onto the tracks?? Taylor Road? Needing info so I can update the track! :(

Pic of Rip Rap Bridge. Looks like the county may had added more rip-rap??? Pic on the page (18?) you pulled the track shows that eastside of the bridge in late April where @PlowHand, @mr_10brook had crossed.

Old 179
    mr_10brook and jtclark13 like this.
  4. jtclark13

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I forgot to mention the gate. It was about half way down the optional section near the spot I jumped on the route. I think it was called Optional Micrometer on the download. I’m pretty sure you are right that it was on Taylor Rd though. There was obviously room to go around, but not knowing the area I played it safe and turned around.

As for the bridge, that line shown in the pic on page 18 was definitely gone if that’s the east side. There was not a route around it, it was over or nothing from what I could see. (Should have gotten a better pic) The west side still had a line around it that didn’t look to tough to get through.
    Old 179 likes this.
  5. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info @jtclark13. You did the right thing with the gate. SET tracks do not go thru gates. (maybe around riprap :ilmostro) Looks like I will be heading over that way shortly for a "workday on the track" in that area.

As I have mention before, this is a perfect example as why I need all of the ADVRIDER communities help for me to keep these tracks up to date for everyone else use. Over a thousand miles and I personally only check them once a year. Past April I rode this area in question and was considered good for next January update.

Thanks again
    Old 179
    jtclark13 likes this.
  6. jtclark13

Oddometer:
    We all appreciate what you’re doing, so if a few pics and a basic ride report help you’ll be hearing a lot from me eventually. Love seeing these “new to me” roads, so I anticipate riding most of Indiana this year, especially anything east of 65. I know there’s some good riding there, but outside of the LN route which I’ve ridden maybe 65% of I’m still green. Seeing how far north you’ve gone, flirting with Columbus, I’m curious to check it out.

Hand surgery will put me down for at least a month starting July 14th, but once I’m healed I plan on getting out quite a bit. Even my wife knows I need more seat time, so who am I to fight her on that :lol3
    Old 179 likes this.
  7. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ......so if a few pics and a basic ride report...... Yes that is perfect, I can then investigate the situation. This happen last year. A pic was posted about the Shoals to Marengo track that had signage about "turn around because your GPS is wrong". I rode to it and then headed to the Dubois County garage. These were meant for delivery trucks following their GPS thru those dirt roads above ST Anthony and below the town of Dubois.

Also hope your surgery goes well. Have a speedy recovery!
    toypro1, jtclark13 and sieg like this.
  8. milq

milq Long timer

Oddometer:
    Headed out this morning to ride the St Francisville to Mt. Vernon leg, WR started losing power on the ride over so went back home. Bike was weird, didn’t seem right after shifts, then slow loss of speed….turns out my Oxford Hot Hands had come loose from the throttle tube!

Easy enough fix but had other things going on later this afternoon so will have to try again soon.
    toypro1, jtclark13 and Old 179 like this.
  9. josefmd

josefmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sucks! What is up with public roads being blocked off? I could sure as hell us some of the rip rap at my lake house in TN:D
  10. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Apparently the county has condemned that iron bridge last fall??? Notice going thru in late April there was couple core drill holes for soil bearing for a future bridge.
    toypro1 likes this.
  11. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This post above was from last 10/19/20. Today I see we just past the 25,000 hit mark to this thread. I again would like to thank everyone who has check this tread out. There are many of you that has rode (all?) parts of of it. Stickers are earn if you had. Big thanks go the ones who are mentioning (promoting) these tracks on the surrounding area ADVRIDER threads. Then there is Facebook. I believe there has been a big jump on hits when @mr_10brook had mention these tracks on that Indiana Facebook site. I then finally joined Facebook this spring.

Sorry about nothing new for Shawnee loop yet. Done some riding but need to do more before I can start piecing things together. I have a "ringer" who will be running a 120 mile "seasonal" loop for his opinion.

Thanks again!
    Old 179
    toypro1, motojunky21, 314ADV and 4 others like this.
  12. 314ADV

314ADV Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Careful with Gaia - I pay the premium dues for all the maps and they aren’t always accurate. I’ve ended up on private property and had a shot gun pointed at me (why I now use the private property layer when planning) and in 2019 I spent a few days playing on the East side of the Shawnee NF and ran into a ranger at a trail head that she didn’t know existed. I spent some time discussing with her “is this trail legal”. The Gaia app showed roads / trails they didn’t have on there paper maps (of which she had two from different sources showing different info), and we both had trails that did and didn’t show on the map at the trail head. Her advise to me - if it’s on the map on our website - you should be safe from getting in trouble, unless it clearly says no at the actual location (gait, sign, etc). She indicated they are regularly closing trails and roads great aren’t being used.
    Old 179 likes this.
  13. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have notice some slight difference in the GAIA MVUM map and the current 2021 Shawnee MVUM paper map. Navigating Shawnee to put out a clean legal track for year round and one with seasonal roads is a challenge, but doable.

Old 179
    toypro1, sieg and 314ADV like this.
  14. mr_10brook

mr_10brook Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    These riders were "spied" getting around Rip Rap recently.

Might have been this week even.

:ricky

IMG_4913.JPG IMG_4915.JPG IMG_4917.JPG
    toypro1 and Old 179 like this.
  15. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @jtclark13 had mention two (possible) issues he had notice on a recent ride. IN 135 to Madison.

Fortunately, Rip Rap bridge has not change since past April. See the above pics from @mr_10brook. Tread the needle on the north side without hard pans. Now east of this on IN 250 is closed down for bridge replacement. Looks like it has been closed couple weeks back and may be closed for a few more months. Approach the Rip Rap bridge clockwise (from the west).

Unfortunately, Taylor loop will be deleted from the IN 135 to Madison track at Little York and Zion Rds. The gate is just inside the state property and no motorized vehicles beyond is allowed. I will update this in next few days.

West Point Road (in/out west of Little York) seasonal gate was closed yesterday. Found out yesterday this gate gets opened/closed based on the "hunting" seasons.

Update on track maintenance (rode tracks this year): On everything east of Shoals has been rode except Shoals thru Marengo to US150, and Freetown to Paynetown (IN446). Nothing to change unless mention above.

Besides working with Shawnee National Forest tracks, I am adding something new. There are times when the Wabash/White River is in flood stage, but the Ohio River is not. There will be a "alt. track" from @RoadDad's neck of the woods to the Shawneetown Bridge. It will go off of the Shoals-Marengo track down to Yankeetown. Then follow (loosely) @Loose Nut's 2012 tracks (along the Ohio River) to Rockport, Owensboro, and Henderson. Then from Henderson it will be new track down to the Shawneetown Bridge. Be lots of little gravel and dirt. Yankeetown to Shawnee has been rode/recorded but needs editing.

Old 179
    Loose Nut and toypro1 like this.
  16. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couple pics along the Ohio River alt. Loop. 8C115AB9-DDA0-4DB5-9A96-6EA98BC643FC.jpeg 470A2076-73E8-4882-B1A6-3B01F70D65E7.jpeg 8BE0F798-7793-40E7-8C09-AB26EE22DAAE.jpeg
    Loose Nut, toypro1, szramer and 2 others like this.
  17. mr_10brook

Oddometer:
    Here is a picture of a "temporary" road closure that will hopefully be open the next time some rides through there.

IMG_4901 (2).JPG
    szramer, Old 179 and toypro1 like this.
  18. mr_10brook

Oddometer:
    Old 179, szramer, jtclark13 and 2 others like this.
  19. duckster1959

duckster1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another future Southern Eye's track. Its gonna be good!

20. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ohio River Corridor (Enter off of Shoals to Marengo track) - 245 miles

*updated 9/26/21*

With a little bit of nudging from @kentuckymike, I had found a way to add a little more track in that land south of the Ohio River. There is times when the Wabash-White-East Fork Rivers on up to Shoals is in flood stage while the Ohio River is not. This will be the connection from the Hoosier to the Shawnee National Forest. I had mention some of this couple post above. Track east of Henderson is mostly @Loose Nut past tracks on over to Yankeetown. I did change a few things to fit me, and we lost a nasty muddy section thru the woods that is now "posted" since the past year or two. :( These tracks should be all legal. Lots of dirt and a light gravel and your normal dust/mud along the river.

IN 162 to Shaweetown

Leave "Shoals to Marengo" track @ IN-162 & E 450S, head north. Be several dirt roads in that Huntingburg and Holland area. There is a historical marker (Freeman Line) SW of Holland. Below I-64 will be the Red Fox Motorcycle track. Near Gentryville on Pigeon Switch Rd is a swampy area. There is a bypass I put in. I have two danger symbols which shows where the greenish deep rutted water holes. "DO NOT ATTEMP" to go thru this water. There is a SXS trail on the south side of this 4-500 foot area. There will be some more dirt roads and then several iron bridges near Yankeetown. Gas is @ Huntington, Holland and Gentryville.

From Yankeetown, will cross a iron bridge and then follow along the flood plain of the River till it hits Rockport. You will see how this town gets it's name. Be crossing the new US-231 bridge and over thru Owensboro. Caution on "ONE WAY" streets in downtown Owensboro. They are mention on my track. Sand beach below the Newburgh Lock and Damn. Be wary of field irrigation systems. A in/out up to south side of Downtown Evansville. Leaves on the trees will only show you Westside/Reitz Hill as it was at the recording of these tracks. Atkinson Park-Henderson has a One Way road going East bound which is supplied. You will past a stone showing the 1937 Flood crest on the river front. Then back into river bottom down to Shawnee Bridge where it ties back into existing tracks.

Fuel in Rockport, Owensboro, Henderson, Uniontown and at the end Shawneetown.

Campgrounds: John Audubon State Park-Henderson.

Enjoy
    Old 179

Attached Files: