southern humboldt rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by brewmike, Feb 27, 2016.

1. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well thanks!
  2. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Baird road. Not good... it seems like there is a 'lotsa shit' up there nowadays.

---------- (Copied from Lost Coast Outpost)

...Incident occured on Baird Rd in Hoopa.

HVTPD Officers spoke with the male victim.

The male victim stated he was sitting in his vehicle when suspect Daniel Pratt, Jr. (18 years old)
    drove up to his vehicle in a white SUV, exited his vehicle with a firearm and fired several shots
    into the air.

Pratt brandished an additional handgun and demanded the victim hand over all of his stuff.
    The victim began to drive away and Pratt fired shots into the victim’s vehicle.
    No one was injured during this incident.
  3. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    I'm on that road with some regularity, it's kind of a fun mountainside gravel road that shortcuts a chunk of 299 + 96. I have to think that there's more to that story than just some random occurrence, clearly the victim knew the suspects name, so there was a history there.
    Kenny M. likes this.
  4. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    >"clearly the victim knew the suspects name, so there was a history there."

Well, if he lived in Hoopa... yup.

Unfortunately, there's lots of other 'stuff' up there.
    A body was found just down off of the Lone Pine Road a few years ago.
    Junked cars... meth, kind of a 'dumping' area for drug stuff.

I usually ride that road with other bikes.
    Sfcootz likes this.
  5. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few years ago my brother -in-law and I did a 3 day moto-camp out into Oregon. I can not remember the route we took but we left Fortuna went out 299 to Willow Creek. From there we hooked on a Main road in town that lead us North thru Hoopa?? Anyway it took us up and around some beautiful mountains and dumped us on 199 just West of Cave Junction. I believe the road took us thru Happy Camp (??) not sure but it was a great ride. I haven't been able to find any of my ride and route maps I used when I lived in Humboldt Co.
  6. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    >"From there we hooked on a Main road in town that lead us North thru Hoopa??"

The main road was probably Hwy 96... then (likely) you took 'Greyback' road from Happy Camp,
    (up over the mountain), and ended up at O'Brien or Cave Junction.
    We went that way quite a few times... but I don't think you came with
    us on that route.

There are 3 or 4 ways er... 'over the mountain' from hwy 96 to Orygun.
    Greyback is (standard FS) paved, the others are gravel/dirt.
  7. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Hey Twilight Zone, does 169 go all the way "through" or dies it dead end not to far SE of Klamath?
  8. Scotty707

Scotty707 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    169 does not go all the way through.
  9. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Is there a way through via secondary roads? I tried to go from Klamath to 96 a while back and every road basically looped back on itself. Rode along the river bed for a while and explored, but there was no obvious route through to 96.
  10. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha ha yes Twilight you are correct as usual. It dumped us right in O'Brien. My brother-in-law was kind of freaking out about going thru Hoopa ( we will probably get killed or something of that nature) he said. We didn't ... when we talked about that trip later he said " that it was the most fun we had on one of our trips. Lone Mt.Camp Grounds is where we stayed, right on 199 just a few miles West of Cave Junction great place to stay.
  11. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    I usually gas up prior to going through Hoopa - Willow Creek is a decent place to get fuel. I did, however, make the mistake of running pretty low coming across Bair(d) Rd one time, and had to get gas in Hoopa. That place is an incredible shithole, but it's exacerbated if you actually stop there and don't just drive through on 96. It's a great example of what happens when government teats spew their creamy money-milk all over a bunch of lazy and entitled shitstains.

I would wager that almost every pedestrian I saw was drunk or high, based on their staggering around. Shitheels were just sitting on the bases of lamp poles and such, inches from the edge of the road, staring blankly at nothing. When I pulled into the gas station I damn near ran over a drunk Indian on a bicycle who was riding in lazy circles in the parking lot, totally oblivious to cars entering. There were 3 or 4 other drunk Indians actively drinking beer standing in the middle of the parking lot hooting and hollering. It wasn't frightening, it was just pathetic. Anyway, drunk on bike almost gets knocked over by me, but is so out of it that he doesn't notice or care. A few minutes later, as I'm pumping gas, he rides up and says "Cool bike, man!" as if I hadn't just nearly run him over 10 feet away. Then off he goes, resuming his lazy riding in circles in the parking lot.

I have zero concerns that these knuckleheads would bother me, but goddamn, it's fucking sad how those people live. I mean, Eureka is a shithole, but by comparison to Hoopa it is the fucking garden of Eden.
  12. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    >'but there was no obvious route through to 96.

Routes from Hwy 96 to Orygun start at Happy Camp.
    Nothing south of there, it ... runs into 'Wilderness'.
    The G/O road (Gasquet/Orleans) road would have been one way across there.
    Greenies killed the last mile of road remaining to connect it. (But that is a long story).

Anyway... roads I've 'been' on up there.

Greyback (Paved)
    Bolan Lake (unpaved) (Boland Lake is pretty neat).
    Sied Road (mostly unpaved, goes over to the Applegate Res)
    and a 4th route (unnamed) up over the hill that comes out at the Ashland Ski Bowl.
    (IMHO: That route is really neat)
    There are some side roads that (maybe) tie a lot of that together.

>"199 just a few miles West of Cave Junction great place to stay."

If you happen to go through Cave Junction...
    'Taylors Sausage Works' = Great Lunch !!! IMHO: Must stop.

>"169 does not go all the way through."

Yup. 169 ends up at the "Johnsons Resort". That was an old ferry site, and is now a fishing resort (which I think still running).
    If you go on Bald Hills road... you can take "Johnson Road" north. It goes quite a ways, ends up on nice dirt surface.
    Road finishes out on the south bank of the Klamath river... opposite the end of '169'' (Johnsons) on the North Bank.
    IMHO: Lots of dope on that route, but nobody bothered us.

Simpson Timber company (long ago) was going to build a road from Korbel up to the Klamath,
    and then was crossed the Klamath to get to the northern timberlands that were owned by that company. (K&K road)
    Excess costs caused the end of that project tho.
    Then the Redwood Park expansion came along and took most of the land up there.
    WRC51 likes this.
  13. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    >"That place is an incredible shithole, but it's exacerbated if you actually stop there and don't just drive through on 96. It's a great example of what happens when government teats spew their creamy money-milk all over a bunch of lazy and entitled shitstains."

Hoopa is a microcosm for Indian Reservations everywhere.
    Frankly, There is nothing to do.
    No economic way out, you can either leave or (all to often) stay drunk or stoned.

Long ago, there was a sawmill or two, now closed, USFS reduced timber harvest...
    (and they cut most of the easy stuff anyway).

Tried to build a 'modular home' plant... but haulage costs in and out on 96/299 is crazy.
    Now they are going to produce a hybrid (plastic/wood) panel product... but (IMHO) trucking costs will likely kill it.

Same thing at Witchipec, Orleans, Klamath. There is nothing going on.

Dozens and dozens of 'white' small communities are now closed.
    Places like Forest Glen, Peanut, Ruth, Zenia, Alderpoint, Blocksburg, Bridgeville, Hayfork, Hyampom...
    There is nothing there... except maybe Dope now.
  14. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few years back I broke down on Baird road and had to limp into Hoopa. I waited for 2/12 hours for a friend to show up with a truck for my bike.
    This one drunk would wander up next to me and yell at passing cars " this guy wants to fight you"
  15. Scotty707

Scotty707 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know there are a bunch of logging roads in the area that might get you there. I've never been out that way though.

Looking at the map, there's a road that heads out of Klamath called Red Mountain Rd. that leads to another unnamed road that takes you over a bridge to Blue Creek Campground. There's a road that leads out of there that has several offshoots that appear to take you to Johnsons or several other spots along Hwy 169. Unfortunately there's no way to tell from the satellite views if there are gates blocking any of these roads. I also can't tell if any are passable. Much of this area is on the Yurok Reservation and there are a lot of residents in the area who aren't very friendly to outsiders.

It seems getting to the Blue Creek Campground (Topo Map) might be your key to making it from Johnsons to Klamath.
  16. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    >"There's a road that leads out of there that has several offshoots that appear to take you to Johnsons or several other spots along Hwy 169. Unfortunately there's no way to tell from the satellite views if there are gates blocking any of these roads."

Those are all old logging roads from the Simpson Timber Company.
    They cut the timber out and the land was sold to the Yurok tribe about 8-10 years ago.

I have ridden into Blue Creek (awesome place)... that was many, many years (45?) ago.
    The motorcycle club in Crescent City put on enduros up in that country.
    (The Rattlesnake Enduro was a big one, it was a national championship in about... er... 1974 or so).

>"Blue Creek Campground (Topo Map)"

Blue Creek Campground is now a native 'Indian Camp'.
    CalTopo is made of lots of 'dated' maps. Pretty good for.. 'what was' there.

>"Klamath called Red Mountain Rd."

You can still get to Red Mountain... by coming off the south fork of the Smith River.
    There is a gate before the Lookout/Repeater station. About 1/2 mile walk in there at that point.

The Klamath/Red Mtn road is Yurok land now. The road is gated.
    I rode that way when it was still 'Simpson' (I worked for Simpson/Green Diamond).
    (Here's the lower gate near Klamath).

upload_2016-11-24_8-5-37.jpeg

Here's the 'Upper' gate on the Klamath/Red Mtn road.

upload_2016-11-24_8-9-36.jpeg

Red Mtn Lookout/Repeater Station. Those 12' high poles are to locate the road during snows !

upload_2016-11-24_8-7-24.jpeg

Here's an image of Blue Creek. The water is actually BLUE.
    Strikingly Blue ! If you somehow get a chance... see it.

[​IMG]
    Foot dragger and WRC51 like this.
  17. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Henny Youngman had it right

Oddometer:
    You guys want an ADVenture? Stop and eat at the Hoopa Burger Bar. A. local inmate brought me there. The earlier descriptions do apply. One silver lining to their free money and lack of thought is the huge wad one of them gave me for my old Tacoma six months ago. A fool and his money parted that day. :rofl
  18. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Well heck,Ive ridden through Hoopa more then a few times with out giving it a thought,never stopped though knowing Willow Creek was just down the road. Ive ridden all along the Klamath River from where the Salmon River comes in and there's a lot of river access areas/hiking/kayaking/suspension bridges over the river for hiking,it looks like good camping spots also. I didnt see much in the way of people around though.

From a local's point of view is camping a good idea there or ?
  19. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    >"I didn't see much in the way of people around though."

Klamath river users... summer... rafters and some kayakers... and in mid/late winter steelhead fishermen.
    That's about it. River is kind of er... 'slimy' with algae in the summer when the water warms up.

Main use on the Salmon is Kayakers and maybe a few rafters.
    Protected stream, so no fishermen up there.

>"From a local's point of view is camping a good idea there or ?"

Camping on the Klamath... or on the Salmon ?

Lower Klamath along 96, there are a few 'good' campgrounds.
    I've stayed at Dillon Creek before.

Salmon - Good campgrounds on the main river and on both forks.
  20. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    The Salmon River area seems kinda deserted when Ive been through in Summer,with the low water level and bathtub ring effect it does look slimy and green,very poison-oakey,out in the Forks of the Salmon area theres a few people,awfully quiet living out there I bet. The Klamath seems to keep a good amount of water even in these past drought years. A friend from Chester moved to Cecilville some years ago,need to stop in and see whats up. They are supposed to be fixing the store up there Ive heard.