southern humboldt rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by brewmike, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    77303600_10216698652840473_2860517041691951104_o.jpg
    Dec 9th will be 4 years on my new left knee,works like a champ! Ive been doing up to 200 miles a week on bicycles all summer.
    Rode the West Side out of Elk Creek Sat on Mt bike we climbed 4700' to Alder Springs then flew downhill to lose that altitude in 20 minutes. Typical dirtbiker I tend to smoke everybody else on downhills.
    My knee works great!
    waylongway likes this.
  2. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    My knee works great!....I waited too long ( Stubborn..:thwak)

I Miss my New Scott MT bike ..I used to ride a LOT and some racing long ago, probably what wore my knee out ...:lol3

I guy at work bought 3 new bikes this summer and is always poking me to ride. Can't wait to feel the burn again....:thumb
    Foot dragger likes this.
  3. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I waited waaaay too long. Every Physical Therapist I talked to said the same thing,if Im a bicycle guy my new knee will work great,pedaling is the very best thing to strengthen and rebuild a new knee. Lots of people do huge mileage on bicycles with Ti knees.

On the other hand I sold my 300 KTM,after 50 years of destruction of my body,and basically getting bored with it, Im taking a break from singletrack riding on motorcycles.
    More bicycles keep showing up here. Even a Surly bike camping/touring bike.
    waylongway likes this.
  4. strictlyJDM

strictlyJDM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Selling a brand new set of Shinko 804/805 tires for big adv bikes

Manufacture dates in 2018. kept in garage away from sunlight/moisture etc. Was keeping them for my oilhead GS but tires are still good on my bike.

110/80/19
    150/70/17

$100 for a inmate. $120 bucks on craigslist

Thanks
  5. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, and lower Arizona
    Well, at least one of us moved to California to get away from snow.
    Foot dragger and waylongway like this.
  7. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like 'optional' snow. If I choose to be in it, it's fun. If I have to be in it (for 3 months in a row) then it fucking sucks!
  8. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, and lower Arizona
    Oh, I agree. It’s just that after my last few months living in NY that I am thoroughly done with it.
    Last night I was bored and was looking at the Shiny Things forum and glanced at the snowblower thread. It reminded me of replacing shear pins on my tracked Honda snowblower, plowing the 700’ driveway to my lodge with my head sticking out of the door of the Unimog because the defroster didn’t put out enough heat, spending two days pushing the huge snowbanks back while sitting exposed on my big New Holland 4wd tractor, and then, wait for it....
    Shortly after purchasing my Shelter Cove house in January, and while waiting a few months to move, we had our longest deep freeze of my life. The north facing skylight in the bathroom melted the snow on it, the water refroze a foot away from it, built an ice dam, let the melted water completely submurse the skylight, let the water creep around the flashing, soak the insulation, soak the drywall ceiling, keep getting heavier, then all this crashed through the ceiling and all over the only bathroom in the house. Wet insulation, iced insulation, and drywall everywhere. No ceiling to the attic. Sub zero temps. Shitter damn near frozen. I am preparing to move and now have a bathroom remodel added to the list. The lodge has guests coming and the long driveway through the woods needs constant looking after. My optics business is busy. The Manatee does nothing to help,...
    Yep, BTDT to extremes.
    I am done with snow.:jkam
    Foot dragger and TwilightZone like this.
  9. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    This goes on every winter near a friend's place out in the middle of no where,his 40 acres happens to be right next to where the snow gets too deep to go through every winter. 4000'.
    People go many miles out of their way to get stuck and destroy the road completely in their trick 4X4's. Then they come looking for him.

People have shown up at his gate with no money,no gas in their stuck rig,no winter clothes,no brains,no way out,dont know which way is home. He sorta gets a laugh out of helping them,it gets boring way out there. Nearest house is 9 miles away. People spend the night in their cars sometimes,one guy used a bumper jack jammed under the fenders on his full size deeply buried truck ,and destroyed the entire body pretty much.He was back within 2 weeks doing the same thing all over. Humans are a funny bunch at times. The one thing these loons always have is alcohol of some kind.
    17016130_10209777039876623_6738384003846114136_o.jpg
    waylongway likes this.
  10. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FH1 is open for a ways... plowed by dope farmers.
    I went as far as Clear Lake, which is 8.5 miles up. (Pickup)
    It was 50 degrees up there today. Gorgeous afternoon up there.
    Beautiful snow on the Trinities.
  11. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Good to hear the pot farmers are doing their civic duty.
    Mike Dirt and TwilightZone like this.
  12. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... yeah... I guess. We met a gro-dozer F350 with a snow plow on the way out.
    Used to be that the un-plowed road from the towers was used by cross country skiers, snowmobiler's and snowshoes. Just a part of the expansion of pot into the back country. Oh well...
  13. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    8.5 miles is about where there is a big grow down hill on your left.
    Last summer I was riding past the open gate when a bunch of exotic looking sheep came boiling up with a big ass dog chasing them down.
    Not sure why they left the gate wide open, also odd to have a bunch of herbivores in with a crop,but dummy me, I rode into the middle of the green houses in the hopes of finding someone to call off the dog.
    No luck, the workers scattered like I was from ICE.
    I felt sorry for the sheep but my self preservation instinct kicked in and I eased on out of there.
  14. melville

melville Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was annoyed to see that it was plowed last year. The year before I recall seeing several vehicles stuck in the snow past the Horse Mountain parking lot. If I had to guess, I'd think they were Grow Bride vehicles.

There had been someone up there with a Snow Cat.
  15. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    I'll have to run out to the end of the plowing and see where it stops.
    From past years, plowing ends at Grouse Mountain/Ammon Ridge turnoff.
    Big pot farms there.
  16. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went to HSU in the 80's. We used to go to Horse Mountain to play in the snow. The old ski lodge was still somewhat in tact, as well as a couple of other houses/structures and the wood stove still worked. Buddy had an ATC 250R 3-wheeler that was hoot to ride in the snow.

I also remember an old Tucker SnoCat/Powerwagen that was parked outside the old lodge. Got my 4x4 truck real bad one day and the Arcata High wrestling team was up there partying. These kids lifted the back end of my truck up and moved it out of the dutch I was in.

Picture lifted form the net. Lots of fun times, Coors drinking and some firearms thrown in for good measure at the old lodge.

[​IMG]
    Foot dragger likes this.
  17. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    Yup. In one year it was the longest operating ski area in the country... closed July 4th.
    I think that was '63 or '64. We had big snowstorm on Memorial Day. Snowed about 18" on Kneeland.
  18. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably the only ski hill in the country where you park at the top and have to know how to ski by the time you get to the bottom of your first run. Otherwise you won’t be able to use the rope tow to get back up the hill.
  19. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I learned to ski at Mount Lassen National Park in 1970 or so. The Palma lift went straight up the face/expert run and accessed most of the other intermediate runs. If you fell off the Palma lift you skied down the face.
  20. Scotty707

Scotty707 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably the Sheriff's Office rescuing people who thought they could make it through. I know they did several rescues up there last winter.