1. eNewsletter Sign Up

southern humboldt rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by brewmike, Feb 27, 2016.

1. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Showers Pass 'snowed in' is (or was) typical for a 'normal' winter.
    But this week is all 'warm rain'. That could produce havoc in the back country and in the rivers.

Went for a mini ride yesterday (1/24/2020) out to Table Bluff/Centerville/Blue Slide road.

Centerville beach is continuing to change. Sand is spreading inland, taking over the pastures...
    big ponds of salt/or fresh water are now along the shore. Bluff has been eaten away, some of the old 'crosses'
    are now laying alongside the road. Tip of the bluff is only a few yards further away from the road.

Parking lot at the beach is now non-existent. County has a 'sand wall' pushed up to try
    and hold the ocean off the road (won't last for long). The road itself is now about 25(+-) yards from the ocean.
    In a couple years, county is gonna have to make a new road south of Centerville beach.
    There are some multi-$million$ dollar homes back in there.

Meanwhile, a bunch of sand is moving north. I imagine they may be needing another 'emergency dredging'
    of the Humboldt Bay bar again.
    WRC51 likes this.
  2. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting TZ I have been wanting to make a Moto trip up North, I will have to check that out. There has been just enough " too wet for me " weather the past week or so.
  3. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    Yup. Weather may be improving. (?) Temps up in the low 60's.

Thursday
    A slight chance of rain. Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 61.
    Friday
    Patchy fog. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 63.
    Saturday
    Partly sunny, with a high near 63.
    WRC51 likes this.
  4. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200109_131326.jpg Even at the small stations full service is standard
    TwilightZone and WRC51 like this.
  5. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    So about a year ago I got an Arai XD4 which was my first ever "nice" helmet. I only got it because insurance covered the cost (garage fire Feb 2019).

Previous to that I always had $100 Bells or HJCs or Scorpions or whatever.

I disliked that Arai. It fogs terribly, it's noisy, the shield doesn't go up high enough when I want to ride with it fully open, and I have to always cock my head down to keep the visor under the airstream. It takes tools and 10 minutes to take off the shield to clean it. It's no more plush inside and no more comfortable than any cheap helmet I've ever used.

To say I was disappointed in it given its $600 price tag would be an understatement. I don't get the hype of a dual sport visor helmet, and I don't understand how high end helmets have essentially fooled people into thinking they are so much better than a $100 shitbox Scorpion.

I went back to a cheapy closeout $130 Scorpion EXO-R2000 street helmet

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-exo-r2000-helmet-white-xl-demo-good-1

and it is so much more quiet, and comfortable, and flows air better, and doesn't fog, and has a nice big opening with good visibility.

I am looking for a closeout or gently used XL MX lid so I can wear goggles on dirt rides but for street ADV use a street helmet just makes more sense.

No point to this rambling except that cost and popularity don't mean shit when it comes to actually being usable, plus it's a free bump for this thread which has been sorely lacking in posters lately.
    Bike Guy and waylongway like this.
  6. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    I have a Bell MX9 'Adventure' Works good. Nice wide opening for the face, almost like a dirt helmet.
    I like most helmets with a face shield and visor.
    Hmmm... current pricing... it was a lot cheaper a couple years ago ($120) !

I have an AFX "Aventure' helmet... Not a bad helmet, bought it for the wife...
    but it looks like she may not be riding anymore. If you want, give it a go. It's free if you like it !

>"...this thread which has been sorely lacking in posters..."

Well, the weather has been a bit grim lately... only a few 'short rides'... but the weather is improving !
  7. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Most generous. Does she wear an XL?
  8. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    I too had an bought an Arai when I gave up the street bikes for good.$600 I think back then. Hated it..:beccaAfter that, I said never again ..:stupid

$150 is more than enough for a lid that you can find on closeout if you do not need the latest and greatest ..... I have 3 or 4 as some work better on different bikes as buffering and such....

Good deals here....:deal
    https://motorcyclecloseouts.com/

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/

Eye candy for you of my winter (Therapy) project.....:lol3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :loco....
    lvscrvs likes this.
  9. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    It is an 'L'.
  10. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... helicopter landing lights ?

11. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Ah thanks, I'm a XL bordering on XXL

Meredith is a lucky girl
  12. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm.... what size shoes do you wear ??????
  13. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Haha
  14. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Interesting,Ive found exactly the opposite to be true,but helmets either fit one's head perfectly,or they dont. I tried on a 1st gen Shoei Hornet and immediately bought one and wore it to death,till it was frazzled out and a guy still gave me 100.00 for it.
    Then I tried a Bell Dual sport helmet. Absolute POS,despite friends telling me theirs were great. Interior is cheap glued to cheap with odd bumps that ground hair off my head,the visor twisted in the wind and tried to pull the helmet off my head. The shield was an optically odd thing to look through with small bubbles on it in the lower area....And didnt really seal,whistling noises etc. Complete piece of crap,but they get good ratings.

Then I got a 2nd gen Shoei Hornet and its way better then 1st gen. Goggles fit in the eye port easy,the shield goes up and out of view,it fits my head perfect..No wind noise,the shield clicks into place,seals, and stays there.
    The shield can be swapped tint to clear in about 4 minutes with no tools. The visor/peak is actually aerodynamically designed to not catch the wind.

Every cheap helmet Ive tried has been just that,cheap. Dont last,air leaks in,rub holes in skin on ears,Shields are cheap for a reason. Ive found Shoei's in ADV FM where guys try them on and sell them right away. For the novelty of it or what I dont know, but I find em. They smell and look new when they show up.
  15. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Wow. That might be a record for the amount of stuff bolted to the front of a bike,even for rally bikes. Im always trying to figure out how to have less.
  16. Kenny M.

Kenny M. Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For as long as I can remember, you either had a Shoei or an Arai head. Shoei fits great, Arai is really uncomfortable for me.
  17. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Shoei's used to grind hair off the front top of my head long ago,at some point they wised up and made them fit my head perfectly. Arai's were never for me. I did have 1 HJC that fit great, a couple years later I tried on another one and they had changed fit completely. Cheap will always be cheap for a reason.
  18. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    Odd... my Bell fits fine... no odd bumps... er... on my helmet. Hmmm...

Wear the Bell when I'm going to go mainly off road or on narrow back roads.
    Wear the Shoei Hornet for mostly street riding and long distances.

Bell is quite a bit lighter... but for me the benefit is the big open face port.
    You can see very well out of it, when going around tight corners.
    Maple Creek on the west side, Salmon River Road... etc.
    waylongway likes this.
  19. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    Apparently Arai's must do the same thing. I have worn them for many years and I have less and less hair every year! I have only used Arai and Shoei helmets for several decades. Perhaps I should have tried something else. They both have always had wind noise no matter what model. So did the Bell's I wore in the 60's. I just figured it was something to live with. I agree about the face shield on the Arai XD4. I hate that it won't go up completely out of my field of vision but leave it on for the rare occasion when I want it down. I like the visor because it is easy to tilt the helmet down a little to block the sun when needed. It doesn't seem to catch the wind on my GS Adventure. My other gripe with the XD4 and the XD3 I had previously is the chin strap is fairly short and can be a pain to fasten sometimes.
  20. Kenny M.

Kenny M. Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That seems to be a problem with most helmets lately. My biggest problem now is AeroStitch. My semi-retired 25 year old Stitch was always great. I replaced it two years ago with a new stitch and I gained weight. Could it be a different fabric from China?
    Foot dragger likes this.