1. eNewsletter Sign Up

southern humboldt rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by brewmike, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    The problem may be my head is shaped like a pumpkin,but somehow the Shoei works. The 2nd gen Hornet they figured out the quick change shield better,and made the eyeport bigger for goggles. The peak has all kinds of artsy holes in it and doesnt catch the wind much at all. I broke the tall windshield on my DR so am running a short shield for a while.
    That means the helmet is right out in the wind catching the breeze more.

I ended up with 2 VFX Dirt Shoei's here,I havent tried them for dual sporting but they are good trail riding helmets.
  2. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    That market place in Fieldbrook is really, really nice. We went in there for the first time on the Bald Hills loop today. Top notch food. The Reuben is about the best I've ever had.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    >"That market place in Fieldbrook is really, really nice. We went in there for the first time on the Bald Hills loop today. Top notch food. The Reuben is about the best I've ever had."

Okie dokie... now it's on the list to try. Went by there last week with Gary...
    we talked on the Scala (radio) and wondered how the food was.

The old Fieldbrook market went broke a few years ago...
    looks like somebody is 'hanging on' to business with the restaurant.

Nice photos ! Any snow remaining on top and down in the hollows ?
  4. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    The place was actually quite busy, not that the photo shows it.

No snow whatsoever!
  5. Kenny M.

Kenny M. Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kind of a crappy day today so I turned it into a sausage day. Maple/apple and sweet Italian. To keep this on a moto track, I also had some new shoes put on the big BMW. Some big miles (for me) coming up in June 20200213_113115.jpg 20200213_144738.jpg 20200213_133614.jpg

Attached Files:

Hookalatch likes this.
  6. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Where you going in June?
  7. Kenny M.

Oddometer:
    Oregon, Washington, Montana. BMW rallies. Not my favorite diversion any more,but great bases for some good rides.
  8. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Nice
  9. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the Interstate Battery still next door to North Coast Cycle? Your trip sounds like fun, really some beautiful country you will be in.
    Kenny M. likes this.
  10. Kenny M.

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  11. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    Meanwhile... a big congrats to Meftah.

Officer Mark Meftah is awarded the Life Saving Award for actions taken while assigned to the Eureka Police Department’s Patrol Division for the period of July 2018. The Life Saving Award is given for the direct saving of a human life by applied knowledge of life saving or rescue techniques in a situation which does not threaten the life of the employee.

[​IMG]

On July 13 th 2018, Officer Mark Meftah, while assigned to the Eureka Police Department’s Patrol Division, was notified of a medical emergency regarding an elderly male adult who was unresponsive at a nearby home. Officer Meftah responded to the scene to assist emergency medical personnel.Upon his arrival, Officer Meftah located the elderly male and determined the subject was unresponsive and without a pulse. Officer Meftah began performing rescue breathing and subsequent chest compressions. EMS personnel were short staffed and requested Officer Meftah continue his rescue breathing and chest compressions while transporting the subject by ambulance to St Joseph hospital.

Officer Meftah continued to administer CPR during the subject’s transport. Upon arrival at St. Joseph Hospital, medical staff were able to regain a pulse and stabilize the subject. Officer Meftah was credited with saving the victim’s life.

Officer Meftah’s applied knowledge of life-saving techniques under stressful conditions is a testament to his outstanding professionalism as a first responder which brings credit upon himself, the Eureka Police Department and the City of Eureka.

Awarded… January 17th, 2020
    Bike Guy, BigDogRaven, WRC51 and 4 others like this.
  12. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to see that they used the picture taken from sort of above, it minimizes the double chins!
    Bike Guy, WRC51 and TwilightZone like this.
  13. Kenny M.

Oddometer:
    I just now saw this on Kym Kemp's site. Good on you young man. Some very nice comments for a change.
  14. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    Heh heh...
  15. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Did the Eureka-Kneeland Rd-Blocksburg Rd-Alderpoint Rd-AoG-Eureka route today.

The county is grading Kneeland Rd and there is also some logging near Sunny Basin that is essentially right on Kneeland Rd... this pic was of the road, they just parked the machine on it.

[​IMG]

My favorite old barn near Blocksburg, gotta time it just right otherwise it's cast in shadows.

[​IMG]

Also the Alderpoint store has basically barren shelves, I wanted a snack and a bottle of water and I had to settle for a bottle of water because there was literally nothing else in the store... the gas pump is also broken and they won't have it fixed for 2 weeks at least, so don't rely on the store as a snack and fuel stop for a while.

Luckily there's still gas available to spare out here as evidence by the crop of burned cars growing along the road.

[​IMG]
  16. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Nice pics as usual! One would think the profit ratio would be low in a store with nothing in it,and no gas to sell. Very quiet living out by Blocksburg.
    I think where the cars run out of gas,that's where they get burnt.
  17. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    IMHO: Burned by trimmigrants/tweakers.

Step 1: Steal a car.
    Step 2: Use it up in the backwoods.
    Step 3: Need to move or need a new car ? Burn the car.
  18. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    The store still serves as a hitching post where you can hang up missing persons fliers...
  19. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    And I just can’t help but believe those last two posts are related
  20. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would think that the legalization of the devil weed has pushed a lot of old long time growers out of the biz having to comply w/ all the water runoff stuff and the fact that my bosses son is a game warden over there and complains that busting farms is ALL he gets to do......? :hmmmmm

Hard times unless you have a storefront w/ tv, radio ads and meet the grade test,to sell the stuff too... ?