1. eNewsletter Sign Up

southern humboldt rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by brewmike, Feb 27, 2016.

1. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup. In California it's all about 'taxes' and 'fees'. Legislators (with assistance from lobbyists) wrote the laws to make it nearly impossible to have a 'legit' pot business. Need an 'archeological' survey, water survey, soil survey, building permits, roadword fees, and 'whatever else'.
    Lots of 'consulting' businesses were built on trying to navigate the fee structure.

Taxes (50% on pot), 'testing fees', 'distribution fees' (25%-30%) also makes it impossible for 'legit' growers to stay out of the black market. Grow a little bit legal... and they sell the rest on the black market.

They (the wardens that is) could go to any cattle ranch, timber production, or even 'rural homeowners' and write violations for environmental laws till hell froze over... (but it wouldn't produce any 'tax' monies though).''

'Trinity Pines' pot farms.

[​IMG]
  2. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my last trip to Mexico I met a grower from Willow Creek who was on his way home from his annual winter vacation.
    He went completely legal right down to the ADA parking spot for his workers.
    I don’t think it is that hard to do comparatively speaking.
    The hard part is convincing a bunch of folks who made a conscious decision to commit a long term felony to change their behavior overnight.
  3. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    If you look at a 50% tax on product,and all the other taxes involved,and all the other fees,and all the expense to make a legal grow happen........and most of these growers were simple outback hillbillies with a pot patch a couple years ago.
    "Hard to do" would be an understatement. Meeting one guy who says he is successful at it isnt a huge indicator
    Ive done vacations in Mexico for way less than 1500.00 for a month or more.
  4. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pfffffttttt say it ain't so
  5. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, and lower Arizona
    ACC4DE63-EC98-4B71-9A54-323C6F54A218.jpeg 685B7106-8A29-470C-A14B-6D504EA0AEE7.jpeg 4961C2DB-05DA-4DBC-932A-FA0288CB8CA8.jpeg 287BD582-241D-48CE-A7E2-A83E036713FD.jpeg

I fell off this thread a while ago as life keeps changing in big ways. Yesterday was a nice day off that was much more in line with why I moved here to begin with. Inmate ABee, Sierra, and I did a 140 mile run from Shelter Cove to Ft. Bragg via Usal Rd. both ways.
  6. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Who's this Abee character?
  7. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    A neighbor and inmate here. Champion vintage/ senoir motocross rider. He rode the TAT on a Hodaka when he retired. He and his wife race mx across the country. Great people.
  8. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, there he is, he popped in this thread in January 2019. Not super active on here I guess.
  9. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    Too busy wrenching and riding. He has a large fleet of vintage bikes.
  10. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    He could get online while he poops.

It's what I'm doing

right

now
    Scotty707 likes this.
  11. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    I don’t ever want to have you hand me your pad or phone or laptop to see a picture the next time we meet.
  12. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    You've shaken my hand

What's the difference?
  13. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    Hayfork is almost exactly the same distance from my friend in Fortuna and my house and we like to meet there for lunch. Yesterday was another perfect February day for riding. The picture below is about the same spot on Hwy 36 that I took a Turkey Vulture hit to the head a little less than 9 months ago. Been thru there many times since and no harm, no fowl.
    IMG_2859.JPG
    We have had several smaller fires in Northern California already this February. We have had zero rain in the valley this February, normally the wettest month. It is the driest February on any record for the area. I was riding past this same area just a few days ago when this fire just started. I could see smoke along hwy 36 and by the time I got up on the Platina Road it had burned about a 1/4 acre and flames were shooting in the sky. There was also a smaller fire just starting several hundred yards down the hill. Seemed very suspicious to me.
    IMG_2864.JPG

IMG_2865.JPG

The mention of poorly stocked rural stores reminded me of some that we have lost over this way. In the last few years the store in Ono closed never to reopen, the Wildwood store burned down never to be rebuilt, and the Platina store is closed and for sale (again). The situation doesn't seem much better further west or on hwy 299.

IMG_2868.JPG
    Gregg from Fortuna wanted to show me his brand new BMW R1250RT. We had planned on Mexican food in Hayfork but the restaurant didn't open so we went to Lewiston instead. The section of Hwy 3 between Hayfork and Hwy 299 is one of my favorite stretches when there is no traffic and we didn't encounter any. All in all a great day.

IMG_2870.JPG
  14. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    I had hoped that you washed your hands afterwards.
  15. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    After shaking yours!
    Scotty707 likes this.
  16. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
  17. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    Casa De Castellanos ? Have always ridden by it.
    Is it any good ???
  18. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    There are certainly better places and lots of worse places. I would rate it as slightly above average but pretty good for Hayfork.
  19. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I had a burrito,and a coke last time I was there. It was bland but OK. They billed me like 15 bucks for it.
    With out my reading glasses I never really know what things cost,sometimes not even what Im ordering.

The coffee shop at the west end of town is a good stop if its still up and running.
  20. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    Okie dokie... I will give that one a go next time I'm there.
    Turned bloody cold and dark this Friday... looks like improving next week though.
    (Shit, it's MARCH ! Dammit.)
    Foot dragger likes this.