1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

southern humboldt rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by brewmike, Feb 27, 2016.

1. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reinforces the notion of Job security, aye?:zilla
    Scotty707 likes this.
  2. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    There very well could be a time to panic but we aren’t there yet. Not by a long shot.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  3. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    In moto-related, non-Covid news:

My dogs have more or less unfettered access to the garage. They're good dogs, albeit mischievous. If they get bored for 5 seconds, they're actively looking for stuff to get into. They've always got into garage things, so most stuff in the garage is up high, or in plastic totes to keep them from accessing it. Even still, they sometimes jump on top of the workbench and grab a tub of bolts or small items and run around the yard, scattering them. About 6 months ago they began ripping parts of the bikes. First it was small rubber things like the covers on brake bleeders, then they started ripping off rubber inner fender liners... aggravating, but still not anything bad enough to really piss me off or prompt me to take action. They got in my tank bag and ate my favorite pair of leather gloves that I got a decade ago in Wyoming and had ridden around the country with. Then they recently ripped the front brake line off my Strom, which obviously rendered the bike inoperable.

This last thing really pissed me off. The other stuff was laughable, I'd replace the bleeder cover with a 8 cent O'Reillys cap and be done with it. But the brake line is a big deal, and a safety risk.

I spent some time thinking on this. I can't reasonably keep them out of the garage since it's the link between backyard and house. I couldn't reasonably supervise them at all times in the garage.

I ended up building a modular fence using 3 stockyard panels and some scrap 2x4s. It's self supporting and can take the weight of them jumping on it. It has a gate so I can still access the garage side from the house without opening the garage door. It basically allows them to move between yard and house without giving them total access to the garage. My bikes are now safe!

[​IMG]

Also I made the hinges from bar clamps from an old bike...:clap

20200401_091404.jpg

The dogs don't even seem too pissed about it, unless of course they just licked their assholes and this is them getting me back...

[​IMG]
    motowest, zacnzoe, BrockEvan and 4 others like this.
  4. WestSlopeNorCal

WestSlopeNorCal Mark Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work, looks like the perfect layout. Nice that the 2 doors were on the same wall.
  5. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Yeah it wouldn't have been doable if they weren't. I just jockeyed everything around and i can still fit my truck in there, too!
  6. Kenny M.

Kenny M. Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just came home and saw the FedEx guy stopped by. 15859455325748985442675974849200.jpg
  7. Kenny M.

Oddometer:
    If I get sick and die, I want to be buried in this helmet. It's that nice.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  8. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Face mask comes up ?
  9. Kenny M.

Oddometer:
    Chin bar? Yes. Visor moves and locks in three different positions. Drop down sun shield. Really quiet and comfortable.
  10. Scotty707

Scotty707 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Built in N95 protection???
    Foot dragger likes this.
  11. WestSlopeNorCal

Oddometer:
    Is that the one you can get a communicator in the collar?
  12. Kenny M.

Oddometer:
    Yes, but this is a discontinued helmet and the SRC-SYSTEM PRO does not seem to be available any longer. I had a Schuberth helmet in the past but I didn't think I would ever be able to afford one again. This one was a great deal.
  13. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    Dammit. You probably got the last one of the 'Large' size. Great prices for the ones that remain.
  14. Kenny M.

Oddometer:
    I actually got this helmet for $399.00. I had initially ordered a slightly different E1 model. After charging my CC they found there was no more in stock so they offered me this one and refunded me $100.00. Only difference is slight color variation.
  15. WestSlopeNorCal

Oddometer:
    Quarantine Ride II

Justin and I made it over to Nevada to finally find some dirt at fairly high elevation.
    We were surprised to ride fairly snow and dust free. I had expected to be blocked by snow much lower.

With the exception of a group of campers way off in the distance we did not see another human out there all day. We made no stops on the road to and from staging to respect the isolation orders.

Warnings were ever present on the road signs on Hwy 80 and 267 north of Lake Tahoe.

20200402_095048_1.jpg

Below we staged off Hoye Canyon Road off of 208 in Wellington, NV.

20200402_115016_1.jpg

The Walker River.

20200402_114231_1.jpg
    20200402_122212_1.jpg
    20200402_121757_1.jpg
    20200402_122437_1.jpg
    20200402_123545_1.jpg
    20200402_123621_1.jpg
    20200402_131408_1.jpg
    20200402_155103_1.jpg

This (38° 34' 20.63" N, 119° 18' 12.60" W) is the beginning of the single track shown in the last clip of the video below.

20200402_161432_1_1.jpg
    20200402_165858_1_1.jpg
    Some clips of the ride.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    TwilightZone likes this.
  16. WestSlopeNorCal

Oddometer:
    Urgent warning captured via text messaging this morning.

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 7.44.54 AM.png
    Foot dragger and TwilightZone like this.
  17. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I dont wanna seem like a kill joy,but either dog could clear that fence in a split second,rip up the plastic on a strom,and be back over the fence licking his bung hole in no time.
  18. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I like the helmet bag. Very plush looking.
  19. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Yeah possibly, but in my ownership of them thus far I've never known them to be jumpers. Even when we had a really shitty, 40 year old, 4 foot fence around the backyard (which has since been replaced with a nice 6 foot redwood fence) they never went over it. Just through it...

Plus I don't think they really crave eating motorcycles, they just did it because they had handy access to them. I hope the fence is enough of a deterrent that they will skip the meal and just sit down and engage in self-analingus.
  20. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    >"...sit down and engage in self-analingus."

OMFG.
    Foot dragger likes this.