southern humboldt rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by brewmike, Feb 27, 2016.

1. they

they bewilderness

Oddometer:
    I don't think anybody goes race speed on the street and lives very long. I go about seven tenths but still have front tire issues. Might be a super enduro thing, tire pressures, wrong tire, Idunno. I want an 80 percent dirt tire that i can trust on the street. The back tire can wag around all, it wants.
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    That's tricky. Probably a TKC 80 is about as close as you get. I tend to run a TKC or a knobbie of some sort on front and what ever on the rear. I get maybe 2000 miles out of a dunlop 606 on the back,and about 3000 out of a 705. But the 705 spins alot on gravel,as it gets worn it spins more and wears quicker. I try to attack tighter corners coming in hot on pavement hard on brakes and then right back on the gas and stay on the gas,which seems to keep the front end stuck better.
    I did race district 36 a lot starting in 72 to about 84 or 85. Way too much fun.
    Raced Cycleland a lot,also Orland,Gridley,Quincy,San Jose 1/2 mile inside the Mile,Triple M in Marysville.
    And Motocross and scrambles and TT up at Happy Valley.
    they and WestSlopeNorCal like this.
  3. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Public Notice ! BLM opens Lost Coast Campgrounds.

Recreation sites in the King Range National Conservation Area, including the Lost Coast Trail, will be reopened to the public beginning Tuesday, June 23. Included in the reopening plans are the Mattole, Nadelos, Wailaki and Tolkan campgrounds and all trailheads.
  4. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sunday Sunday SUNDAY!!!!!!!
    Scotty707 likes this.
  5. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eh ?
  6. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Just reminded me of this commercial that used to play, I can't fnd it on Youtube but it was similar to:

but clearly not as awesome. The announcer began by yelling "Public notice, SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY... furniture liquidation, everything must go", etc... then a month later it was the same announcer screaming about a SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY public notice starving artists wholesale event... etc

Meh

Had to be there I guess

Might could have just been an Ohio thing too
    Scotty707 and Hookalatch like this.
  7. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    Wasn't just Ohio. At the races the announcer would also almost scream " You have to pay for the whole seat but you'll only use the edge!"
    Scotty707 and Bike Guy like this.
  8. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Big Daddy Don Garlits was a wild man,he survived some truly crazy shit.
    WestSlopeNorCal likes this.
  9. WestSlopeNorCal

WestSlopeNorCal Mark Supporter

Oddometer:
    So many great memories from that era.

Garlits was a top performer in the field and set many speed records. He was also known for his design contributions for the rear engine top fuel dragsters after his foot was injured in a front engine accident.

Top crazy guy?
    How about Jungle Jim Liberman (and Pam of course) who would return from burnouts at 100 mph in reverse.

Best drag memories for me?
    Friday night grudge racing at Fremont Drag strip against my buddies in the early '70's. I was still in high school and driving a stock 383 Mopar. It was junk but I learned a lot from owning it.
    My buddy had a 426 Hemi his dad helped him set up for racing. I had no chance.

Grudge night was awesome. One pairing might be 2 VW Beatles, the next might be a couple of 12 second cars.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  10. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    The biography of Big Daddy on you tube is a good one. Crazy times.
  11. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    No one is posting; I hope you are all out riding.

Me, I've been getting in sanity rides several times a day.

My wife's infernal 22 yo daughter and her two kids 6 yo and 4 mo are visiting and were it not for motorcycles I'd be losing my shit.

Adult kid was nearly the cause of our relationship ending some years ago; back in her teens she was just a foul, unpleasant little urchin that fucking drained the life out of me. We moved 3000 miles from her for a reason. She is not much better now. She's about the most self-absorbed human I have ever encountered; except now she is supposed to be responsible for two additional life forms but spends a lot of time trying to shirk that responsibility.

The grandkids are moderately cool I guess, although in the span of 7 minutes yesterday the 6 year old managed to lose one of my dogs and then get both dogs and he and I sprayed by a skunk. He started bawling for no obvious reason and wouldn't stop. I was compassionate for about 3 minutes but then I told him to pull his shit together and quit sniveling which sent him into a hour long weep-fest. I got sprayed to, kid! Shit happens. Apparently you are not supposed to harden kids the fuck up but are supposed to kiss their boo boos and put band aids on invisible injuries. Who fucking knew? He does like motorcycles though so we've done some laps on the V-Strom even though his feet don't quite touch the passenger pegs. The 4 mo doesn't have much to say so we get along the best.

Anyway, the goats on Kneeland were a nice calming influence on me today.

Thank god I go back to work the next 3 days, and they leave on Sunday.

[​IMG]
  12. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    In a major way,you are lucky,although it doesnt sound good......3000 miles is a crucial thing..............As do most, I have friends who are raising their 30 to 40 year old children and always will be. The "kids" will most likely out live their parents so its a life of indentured servitude/misery trying to helicopter parent a more than grown adult.
    Kids are meth/pot/heroin/alcohol addicts,they are graduated college students who realized waiting for inheritance is a better fate than going to work,they are entitled from birth some of them and life is too hard,which may be the parents doing really.

Im not sure how it switched from a kid being grateful that a parent born em,raised,em,fed em,clothed em,then let em pick a path in the world.............................to a parent owing the child everything and putting his or her own life on hold for as long as it takes to create a life for the child.
    And if that doesnt work then the child can always live at home till he/she finds them selves. Sometimes they never move out though.

I have a cat and some bikes. Maybe I'll get another dog.
  14. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea that who having kids thing
    Looks like an expensive hobby with not a lot of up side
    More details on the skunk spraying
    Foot dragger and MeefZah like this.
  15. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Thanks for asking about the skunk episode. Very curious.
  16. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    To be brutally honest, I dislike kids immensely. That's why I've never had any. That said, I can fake it like a fucking Oscar winning actor for brief intervals.

6 yo has been getting along great with the dogs. One dog is super chill and totally beta, never even barks. Very docile with humans and strange dogs. Meredith has taken the 6yo on several walks and lets him walk the beta dog once they get off the road and into the trail system (McKay Tract). He and I walked them ourselves one day at Sequoia Park. So he's got "experience" with the dog.

Anyway, he wants to walk them again. Off we go, into the woods, just me and him and the dogs. He has the leash basically tied around his wrist. He's a few feet ahead of me. Suddenly a skunk runs across in front of him and beta dog is beta no more. Lunges, knocks kid down, then runs through the woods after the skunk, barking like a monster, dragging the kid by the leash. Kid ricochets off trees and gets dragged for a bit before the leash disengages and he gets unceremoniously dumped. He is of course screaming his head off. Dog is gone, chasing skunk. Other dog, the one I'm walking, is also going crazy.

My instinct tells me to go after the dog but the little bit of humanity still inside me dictates I stay with the kid. The kid is totally fine, BTW. He basically got a free and totally awesome ride and now needs to man up and go collect the dog that he was responsible for. But he just lies there screaming. I give him a few minutes but every minute is my favorite dog getting farther away so after about 3 minutes I tell the kid "stay right here, I'll be right back". "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!, don't leave!" Jesus Christ kid, I have to get the fucking dog, I can't pat your ass and tell you it's alright, hold this frothing monster that's going crazy on leash, and go chase the other dog down at the same fucking time so guess what, you get to stay here by yourself for a minute.

So I go after the first dog and collect him. He's in some sort of crazy standoff with the skunk, which has to be the dumbest fucking skunk on earth because it hasn't really run super far nor has it climbed a tree or gone under a log or, you know, a place a dog can't chase it. I hear cracking behind me and here comes the 6 yo, because he couldn't stay put like he was told. As I'm looking at him and telling him to get back, my dog slips her collar and pounces on the skunk. Skunk discharges, both dogs get it full in the face. The kid and I are 10 feet away and get it. The dogs grab the skunk and each begin ripping on their half, and they shred the skunk in this massive display of teeth and tearing. They get their snouts torn up during this process. The 6 yo watches this and begins screaming again.

I grab both dogs and drag them away. Now they are trying to burrow into the ground to rasp off the skunk spray. I can barely see and it sucks to breathe. The kid continues to scream. We make it to the road and the kid refuses to keep walking. He's not hurt at all, he's just scared, which in my mind would motivate someone to keep moving but apparently I don't see things like a 6 yo. I try to cajole him to keep going but he won't. I end up having to call Meredith to come get him in the truck (which now also smells like skunk). I walk the dogs home and Meredith gives the kid a bath (his mom is busy on her phone), then we bathe the dogs, then I shower like 9 times, wash our clothes several times, wash the dogs again using this Remington skunk soap. Everything smells like skunk to me, now... it's in my nose.
  17. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Bike Guy, waylongway and MeefZah like this.
  18. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I never quite got talked into having children,something always screamed "DONT,SUCKER!" inside me. So freaking glad I didnt do it. Some women when the bio clock starts whanging away they would get El pregunto from the neighbor dog if they thought it would work.Baby,Baby,Baby,Baby,Baby..............Not for me.
    -----------------
    So wish you could video some of the stuff you pull off over there,I go on walks and its pretty calm.
    Your living TV episodes one day at a time. Its never too late to adopt.
    BigDogRaven and MeefZah like this.
  19. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    I hope your dogs are well vaccinated for rabies. Between the skunk being active in the daytime and displaying behavior you describe as "the dumbest skunk on earth" there are reasons to be concerned it may have been rabid. I would certainly be concerned. Skunks are the primary reservoir of rabies in California and Humboldt County has had plenty of positive cases in the past.

On the subject of kids- my wife of 43 years and my 2 boys are the best thing that ever happened to me. You guys certainly have a right to your opinions but I think you are in a minority.
  20. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Yeah they are vaccinated. One actually just got the "update" or whatever the second shot is after the first year. I don't know how much better vaccinated they can be? I assume the vaccine is the vaccine, yes? At any rate they appear okay thus far.

As far as kids go, I recognize that my opinion is the minority opinion, and if I had my own I'd likely feel differently. I usually keep my opinion to myself but a week of this has me needing a fucking outlet!