1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

southern humboldt rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by brewmike, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I would ask how you got your ass caught in a waffle iron. But that would be impolite.
  2. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm kind of new here but my dad worked for State Parks back before the turn of the century so I've been to most in the area. Depending on the size of your trailer: Richardson's Grove in Southern Humboldt is open, I think. Benbow is usually closed this time of year when they take out the seasonal bridge to the campground. Not sure of that this year. Prairie Creek up near Orick, I think is open. I'm sure there are others. Happy Camping.
  3. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Usal campground is open from the south end, too; and you can get a bike around the gate if you wanted to ride Usal all the way north.
    madeouttaglass and Mrstig like this.
  4. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    So I still dunno who it was, but apparently dude was drunk and was riding up and down Walnut for a while stunting. After I was told this, I recalled a guy on a enduro of some sort pulled a massive wheelie in front of the house about 30 minutes prior to the crash. Turns out it was the same guy... riding, I was told, a 'KTM Enduro', which has since been impounded (hint, hint, auction time!).

He lost control in the curve just north of Campton on Walnut, lowsided, and threw the bike off into the woods. He has / had a broken hip, leg, and some broken ribs. According to my source his other hip was previously broken from... wait for it... a drunken motorcycle accident some years ago in which he was stunting on public roads and then lost control and crashed.

So probably he also got some drain bamage from the original crash because only a fuckmook extraordinaire would repeat history like that. Bonus silver lining: both legs get to be the same length now!

Never like to see a crash, and I'm not a sadistic guy, but fuck drunk drivers / riders. You reap what you sow.

Also for clarification in case there are any HIPAA snitches here, my source isn't in the medical field...
    Scotty707 and TwilightZone like this.
  5. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    There is a good gravel road out the back side of Richardson's Grove. We used to set out in a pack and ride gravel mostly from the bar in Wildwood,pop out in Richardson's grove take a right and head to the brewery in Fortuna. Spend the night and ride another gravel route back to Wildwood.
  6. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Must have been riding on PALCO* land back then ? (Translation: The good old days.)

*PALCO - Old time Pacific Lumber Company... before MAXXIM showed up...
    Now it is Humboldt Redwoods. (Family owns Old Navy Stores)
  7. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    This was maybe..........8 years ago at most,we took a succession of back roads and ended up in Richardson's Grove.
  8. WestSlopeNorCal

WestSlopeNorCal Mark Supporter

Oddometer:
    Waffle scar in name only.

Early 1970's, it was Jacque and my first apartment together.
    After showering I would stand in front of one of those tall wall mounted heaters to dry off.

I backed into that hot grid metal one night naked and picked up a nicely defined grid burn on my left butt cheek.
    I smelt it before I felt it. Lesson learned.

I later named it the waffle scar.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  9. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    He who smelt it, felt it
    Veeblefetzer and TwilightZone like this.
  10. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Now that is funny.
  11. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Usal is a great camp ground for sure, but towing any trailer of length into there would be problematic at best
  12. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    That's fair

I kinda overlooked the trailer thing
  13. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    Old days... logging trucks, lowboys with equipment etc etc on that road.
    Most of the that section (well, north anyways) had the second growth logged out back in the late 1960's.
    Would be nice to visit what's left of the old town of Wheeler. Too bad they closed the road down there.
  14. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    We rode in from the south right after a good rain..........there was no way we would have got back up the hill dropping into the campground.
    I had no idea it turned into full slime when wet but it sure does. Im a dirtrider and I was dragging both feet at some points with both wheels locked or nearly locked and it sure wouldnt slow down.
  15. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you imagine “ back in the day” it was easier to build the town of Wheeler. Then build a saw mill. Then convince a bunch of folks to move to the new town. Then drive out the lumber to market. then it was to drive a logging truck to the next closest mill.
    Side note, I think my grandmother on my mother’s side lived in Wheeler when she was little.
    I know she attended a town reunion held there.
    Mrstig, MeefZah and Foot dragger like this.
  16. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    There are a certain number of people,who are attracted to motorcycles and as soon as these certain people get a real good buzz on...............they cant help but get out on the bike for the sheer rush of it.
    Like riding on the street isnt dangerous enough, they put themselves out there like a sacrifice almost. Yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaw!

A guy headed out to the airport here at 2AM once,with girlfriend on the back on a big streetbike of some sort. Got it up to a buck twenty,the road makes a slow bend and they went straight,easily cleared a 10' wide slough and center punched a power pole. 2AM usually means we just left the bar and boy are we feeling good! I think its 80% of solo bike crashes with no car involved are alcohol related.
  17. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    Only way around that way is to go across the 'headwaters' of Bear River.
    That is the ridge between Eel and Bear River valley.
    That logging road is now heavily gated. That gate was the site of several 'protests' by anti-loggers.
  18. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:

I should read your story to my wife & watch her blush from experience! LOL!!! ;-)

I love following this thread when I have time. Great stories & info!

An old friend used to refer to a wet Usal Rd. as "Moose snot on teflon!"

Since several of you are locals up there, I got a question about an old acquaintance I've not seen in several years. So, who knows "The Big Indian" out at Honeydew? Tall, good-looking, happy guy of obvious heritage. I think I remember him being the only auto mechanic out there.

From the early 80s thru ~2015, we'd stop at the store in Honeydew once or twice a year, late afternoon, and he was always there. We got to recognizing each other and usually shared a conversation. The locals loved to tease him, but he just smiled. He invited me up to stay at his place a couple of times. Cue Dueling Banjos?!? ;-) Nope, never did.

Twice by there this year, but after 5pm closing time and no one was around. D'OH!

Any clues? Thanks!

Catfish ...
  19. Kenny M.

Kenny M. Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't know "The Big Indian" out at Honeydew but in high school I used to ride my bicycle and Honda 90 scrambler out Morgan Territory road.
  20. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:

You had fun then! It's still the same old kinda-paved goat trail. I used to commute thru there.

Catfish ...