southern humboldt rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by brewmike, Feb 27, 2016.

1. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mapping makes no sense there.

The north south road I have labeled as #1 on my stolen-from-a-Delorme-Gazeteer-map is unmarked both on paper maps and in person. However, GPS and Google maps show the southern half of it as "Hundred Acre Prairie Rd". About halfway up that notation disappears and it becomes an unknown road on GPS.

Meanwhile, what paper mapping has marked as "Pine Ridge Rd" shows on GPS for the northern third as "Hundred Acre Prairie Rd". That is also where the sign above is hanging, facing for southbound traffic (which is why I have never seen it, as I've never before run the road south). But that road is a good mile away from the other Hundred Acre Prairie Rd and on the other side of Pine Creek, one holler over.

All the east-west roads that link Hoopa to Pine Ridge Road are unmarked in person, on maps and on GPS. Weirdly, as you approach a certain area about half way down Pine Ridge Rd the GPS flashes that "Redwood Grove Rd is ahead", but no road shows on GPS and there is no actual road or even vestigial remnants of what used to be a road at that spot. The GPS indication disappears soon after.

And I still don't have any fucking idea where the actual prairie is!

I will say that after banging around all day in the truck on the rez I feel a lot more comfortable exploring it unsupported on a motorcycle. We saw three other people on the rez including on the more heavily traveled Bair Rd, and all of them were on the last 1/2 mile of the actual Hundred Acre Prairie Rd (#1) just before it empties onto Pine Creek Road. Everyone seemed appropriately friendly. All the roads were totally passable on even a big dual sport / Strom style bike. Creek crossing wouldn't have been any issue, either, it was flat bottomed and solid. You could make a very good and long day of running all those reservation roads on the west side of the Klamath up and down, then throwing in Big Hill Rd and associated roads on the east side of the river if you wanted to stretch it out.

Now I just need a motorcycle!
    catfish likes this.
  2. Scotty707

Scotty707 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Listed as "Hundred Acre Field" on the Lacks Creek Map. https://www.blm.gov/documents/calif...room/map/lacks-creek-management-area-map-2019
    catfish and MeefZah like this.
  3. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not you guys, but it is easy to see how city folks that get in the habit of blindly following a gps’s turn by turn directions can find themselves in a bind once they get outside the beltway.
    Kenny M. and MeefZah like this.
  4. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a reason why people come up here to get lost. This whole area of the west coast (Ukiah to Crescent City and east to the Sacto Valley) is remarkably under surveyed and under documented, at least for us non-timber folk. Kudo's for going exploring.
    MeefZah likes this.
  5. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    "Turn right NOW!!!!"
    Kenny M. likes this.
  6. zacnzoe

zacnzoe bustnluc

Oddometer:
    "REMAIN CALM!"

MeefZah and chrislitt like this.
  7. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I ride in Mexico, I have two different gps maps and more then one paper map, and I’ve been to spots where all of them are wrong.
    One time we stopped at a gas station in a town that didn’t show on any map, gps or otherwise, and the guy pumping the gas couldn’t show us where we were either.
    Bike Guy and catfish like this.
  8. Baby

Baby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, I appreciate that you reference the movie, which i enjoyed, having read the book and digging most of the cohen brothers' movies. If you were drawn to the sheriff's words in the movie, you will really like the book. That character's framing of the story in terms of what more or less is his interpretation of base humanity is more developed in the book. Happy to send you my copy if you like.
    WestSlopeNorCal likes this.
  9. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:

check it out Meef, maybe there's a job for ya.
  10. WestSlopeNorCal

WestSlopeNorCal Mark Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    No need to send the book. I'll get one and pass it down to my boys. Lots of good lessons within for them I am sure.

Welcome to the site/thread I see you are fairly new to posting anyway. How far Nor in Norcal are you?
    I live outside the Humboldt region (Grass Valley) but the locals have been welcoming.

I have read every post on this thread from page one and recorded every ride the Humboldt boys have written about. These boys know their region. I really wish a couple/few of them would do a book on the history and riding for the region as I have never experienced the depth of regional and historical knowledge seen on this thread.

A lurker for a number of years on the site I registered and started posting on this thread as I was working on mapping out a 2 up ride on my GSR12 for my wife and I. I was planning 2 weeks in Humboldt and north. Some health issues and then COVID have deterred us but I have many days of riding there mapped out on my GPS both on the GS and on my dirt bike.

I hope you get to enjoy the thread as much as I have.
    MeefZah, idea man and Surcease like this.
  11. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey I lived in Texas and you know what....
    Yea Fuck That place!
  12. Baby

Baby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the welcome. I started lurking on the forum about 15 years ago but don't post much. I've been reading along on this thread recently---tons of great info. I had some adventures on the roads in Humboldt in the '90s but haven't ridden through there since 2005 or so. I should change my info--I'm in Sonoma, not in real Northern California.
  13. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Ironman Bob and I have followed a GPS way the F out in the middle of BFE in Nevada,only to come upon a massive washout and gotta go back now. On a dirtbike with limited gas this can really throw a hitch in things. If an ice storm is blowing hard it sucks even worse.
  14. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    What most folks don’t “get” about fuel range is if your fuel range is 200 miles on a tank, every mile you travel past one hundred miles equates to two miles you have to walk if the route doesn’t go through.
    That’s why my bikes usually have a three hundred plus mile range.
    And on several occasions have run almost that far without passing up a gas opportunity.
  15. WestSlopeNorCal

WestSlopeNorCal Mark Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very well Baby.
    I ordered the book today.
    Baby likes this.
  16. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    I'll gladly borrow that book from you or Mr Baby upon completion...
    WestSlopeNorCal and Baby like this.
  17. MeefZah

Oddometer:
  18. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven’t ridden one, but the friend that I went to Mexico with a year ago has one and likes it a lot.
    The trip before he was on a GS 1200, and The 1090 appears to be night and day better at everything but freeway stuff.
    The only draw back really is that the 790 made it obsolete, then the 890 made the 790 obsolete.
    So not sure about the price or how well it will maintain value.
    TwilightZone likes this.
  19. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Good info.

Appears to be sold pending delivery to another dude now though.
    stormdog likes this.
  20. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since you weren’t an owner I’m curious why you think the 1090 isn’t that great with the “freeway stuff”

I owned a 16 GS and a 17 1090 at the same time. Both bikes were set up to my personal preferences, and both bikes were totally reliable. The only advantage my GS had over my 1090 was the cruise control IMHO. The GS is a great boring bike and the 1090 is a typical orange bike that puts a smile on your face

I’m not surprised the 1090 sold that quickly
    zacnzoe and MeefZah like this.