southern humboldt rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by brewmike, Feb 27, 2016.

1. zacnzoe

zacnzoe bustnluc

Oddometer:
    As a current owner of a 2016 Anniversary Super Tenere, I completely agree with your assessment. The cruise control is the shit on an otherwise completely boring, super reliable, very comfortable, go anywhere and get it done enjoyable motorcycle. The KTM 950 in my tag line photo never failed to put a smile on my face, and was a little (lot) more thrilling for a variety of reasons, when it took me everywhere I wanted to go without a cruise control. I sold the KTM. Would like to sell ST. I hope the next steed will be a little bit of both????
  2. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    After having the GS I agree cruise is fucking awesome on a motorcycle.

@zacnzoe ... deets on the ST you might want to sell?
  3. zacnzoe

zacnzoe bustnluc

Oddometer:
    2016 Yamaha Super Tenere Anniversary edition with 5.5 gallon flat bed fuel cell. Many other comfort riding aids, bar risers, big pegs, big/tall windshield, led lights, Denali driving lights, yada-yada-yada - I’ll have to get my list. I’ll send you a PM, but I thought you were on a buying moratorium until the Cali bail?????

Attached Files:

4. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...and shaft drive....
    I had a Seca 750 back in the 80’s. Shaft drive Yamaha. Loved that bike. That ST is probably a mile eater.
  5. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. WestSlopeNorCal

WestSlopeNorCal Mark Supporter

Oddometer:
    Humboldt County Nevada: June of 2012
    Fuel consumption and other challenges.

Fuel Challenge. We won.
    Wish I could claim I have never run out of fuel. Only ran completely out once dirt biking but only 1/2 mile from staging so no big deal.

On the adventure bike Jacque and were riding eastern Oregon. We started the last ride segment that day with full tank in the twisties and exiting those my miles to empty gauge made me think I had final destination for that night made.
    I should have known better. Once out in heavy headwinds at speed with lots of uphill the MTE gauge plummeted. I was on fumes with 25 mi to go late in the day, getting cold and dark. I am thinking we will be knocking on some ranchers door soon. One last small town with like 3 buildings and the last one was a barn with a guy working a fork lift. I spotted a fuel tank near the barn. OK Jacque time for you to do your thing. She's the type nobody can say no to. A gallon of fuel and we were good to go. He tried to refuse but I paid him more than I ever have for a gallon.

Back to Humboldt County NV.

01_1.JPG

Fuel Challenge: We won.
    Nearly every year since the mid 90's I have taken my family to Black Rock (BR) for a full family riding/camp out. It's the highlight of the year for all of us. We rarely see another rider when we go.

Jacque and I always go out a few days early to set up the staging area. In 2012 I had my boys and a buddy come out alone a day before their families so we could get a full day ride in.
    I mapped it for 237 miles all dirt starting in the north finger of the playa riding south around BR Point then north through the BR Range wrapping further north around Summit Lake then south through Soldier Meadows and back return to staging.

To make that possible Jacque and I rode out the day before to drop fuel midway for the all day ride. She is a durable quad rider.
    02_1.JPG

Below a couple of pics from the ride the next day.
    02a_1.JPG
    02b_1.JPG
    02c.JPG
    02d.JPG
    02e.JPG

The next day the early ride went well. One canyon was blocked by a rancher's gate that I missed in my research but I found a wrap around that got us back on track. We made the gas stop and found the bottles fairly easily.
    03_1.JPG
    03a_1.JPG
    03b_1.JPG

We won the fuel challenge but I did cut one leg off the ride due to delays. May have been close otherwise.

Wind Challenge: We got the beat down.
    Jacque had spent the entire day alone in camp and when we arrived back camp was under wind attack.
    Poor girl was trying to salvage tents and shades all alone.
    The bent shade was strapped to the trailer and staked to the ground but it did not survive. Poor Jacque had no hope.
    Revisit the first pic in this post and check the flag to get a sense of the wind out there.
    As a side note I mounted flashing lights from the wings of an airplane atop that flag pole. Super bright.
    We turn them on when out on night rides so we can find our way back to camp which in total darkness or during dust storms can be difficult.
    06_1.JPG
    07_1.JPG
    19_2_1.JPG

19a_2_1.JPG
  7. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Ive camped on that Playa twice for Burning Man,which fully cured me for going to Burning Man again,but it was fun when I went. I purposely took a tent with almost zero mesh anywhere,to keep the flying silt out.
    We sat on a tail gate and watched my tent blow flat,as a pancake. Then spring back up again,then blow flat. Raining with dust so thick nothing could be seen even 3' away. I remember a squad of naked college girls came into our camp for drinks during a dust storm. Poor things coated with dust then rain then dust again. Filthy girls but happy as clams.
    ==================
    Ive camped out in Death Valley about 4 times,and gas range is the meaning of life out there. Its like a huge dirtbike exploration area as long as you have a plate on the bike. 200 miles is a beginner amount of range,so much to do and see but gotta have the range to do it. I rode the DR650 out there once from Chico,took all the luggage/windshield crap etc off. Then rode it for 3 days all over hell and back in DV,then rode it home in one sitting of 630 miles.
    We had killer wind out there that time but just tucked in and went.

The thing with gas range for real dirt riding,if you put a humongous tank on bike it will handle like a bloated pig on stilts.

Trick with 2 strokes for distance of any sort is jetting. If you really get the jetting down to a fine science,40+ mpg can be had,maybe 50 at times.
    Guys make no attempt and get 20 mpg which gets you no where,and pisses off riding buddies that have to give you their gas to get you home.
    zacnzoe and WestSlopeNorCal like this.
  8. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    Hey Meef there's a real pretty 1090 for sale in FM down in L.A., orange tank, no affiliation.
    MeefZah likes this.
  9. MeefZah

Oddometer:
  10. Rips Millar

Oddometer:
    no cruise, not sure about tubeless.
  11. Rips Millar

Oddometer:
    there's resale value in that skidplate, i think it's almost $500 new....heehee
    MeefZah likes this.
  12. Richard Dryden

Richard Dryden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Outex tubeless conversion works well if not. I did the 990 rims on Larry and I's 690 's.
    MeefZah likes this.
  13. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    As much as I hate tubes I’m not sold on tubeless or the variant that uses the inner- inner tube.
    Maybe I’m more of a Luddite then I think.
  14. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    I used the Outex system on my Triumph Bonneville. Still working fine 2+ years later despite using tubeless tires on tube type rims. I would hesitate to use it on a bike that was likely to run lower tire pressures off road.
  15. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    61F32E3C-8B3B-45A1-8A69-B49348DC4A0A.jpeg My beach find isn’t looking any better
    Foot dragger and MeefZah like this.
  16. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    It's a gradual process
    stormdog likes this.
  17. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    MeefZah likes this.
  18. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    In real civilization,that would have been drug off the beach.
    I think with the right buffing compound it can be saved,start coarse and work it down.
    Scotty707 likes this.
  19. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone here ride a bumblebee Airhead GS? And rode Kneeland road today? Cool bike.
  20. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    If by gradual you mean three weeks then yea.
    I don’t think the thing rolled it just got pounded by the last big waves.