southern humboldt rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by brewmike, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Kampfire

Kampfire Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer:
    Thanks to both of you. Opened up one of those rabbit holes for this old history buff.
    The Christmas Flood of 1964, the Douglas Bridge Memorial.... just have to get up there again and see some of it again, and some for the first time. So much to explore, but Google Earth helps develop a loose plan.
    MeefZah likes this.
  2. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My photo had a forklift in it though...

(Sighs) Had lots of adventures with the old man.
    Pulled out of school to watch the last casting at the old Eureka Iron Furnace.
    Rode a new Oyster barge being launched down into Humboldt Bay.
    Went out to the 'Bill Bailey' oyster dredge.
    Visited lots of mill sites all over Humboldt County.
    All gone now.

MeefZah likes this.
  3. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oddly funny, I was just telling Idea Wife that story last week when we drove though there. How the old town was washed away and the new townsite was built-ish. It got built a lot more after legalized gambling came to pass.
    Meef, if you haven’t done it yet, a suggestion to, in the spring, take your SO on a jet boat ride up the river. It used to be the mail delivery route for people living upstream.

Nice lookin’ S10. That thing probably just eats up the miles. Would be interested to hear your comparison between that and the 1200GS you had a few minutes ago.
    Scotty707 likes this.
  4. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friend of mine bought land in Klamath Glen in ( I’m guessing) 1963. Said he had the fruit trees planted and the house site prepped.
    The property literally disappeared.
    He and his wife never financially recovered.
  5. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    We did a version of that, the Gold Beach one. It was great fun. Klamath is sort of on the list, but we were told it sucks compared to the Gold Beach trip.

https://meefzah.smugmug.com/August-2019-Rogue-River-Jetboat-trip/

S10 v R1200GS:

To be fair I only have like 400 miles on the S10. I only had maybe 3,000 miles on the GS.

GS pros: power, comfort, wind management, fuel economy, great brakes, better off road IMO than the S10, everything integrated through CANBUS, aftermarket support, owner support / clubs

GS cons: transmission clunking, constant (probably misguided) worry about "when it breaks", annoying electrical "features" like auto dimming display that was always the wrong level, minor electrical glitches in the system that came and went, vague cruise control (it kept me within like 10 mph of the target with poor adjustability in individual increments), pointless features waiting to fail (auto unlocking fuel cap, WTF? ; keyless start), always whacking my shins on dem jugs, electronic suspension which I thought was gimmicky and not really perfectly adjustable, PO had dropped everything from the Touratech catalog on it, in some case 2 of everything, and some of it was done pretty half-ass and devoid of reasoning (how many sets of Clearwaters do you fucking need, and why does my horn honk every time I flash them?)

S10 pros: cost / value, power, comfort, appearance (I really have never liked beaks), reliability / peace of mind, rock steady cruise that's easily adjustable in 1 mph increments, no extra electrical bullshit that no one wants, no jug-based shin-whacking, very good manual suspension, this particular model was well sorted and set up pretty much exactly how I would have done it and done in a professional manner

S10 cons: wind buffeting still a minor issue, brakes aren't as good as the GS's, super-annoying gear indicator that blanks out when the clutch is pulled in, display is old tech looking as fuck, resale value is shit, not as good an aftermarket as the GS, weight

I could probably think of more pros / cons each way but that's what comes to mind as I sip my morning coffee. I will say the GS has more character and there was a more visceral sense of enjoyment I got from riding it.

Summary: A well sorted GS is better. Probably not $$$ better, but better. The S10 is good though, and Yamaha has appropriately refined it after the first year one I had which I disliked, back in 2012. I'd say the S10 is 90% of a GS with 0% of the worry of a GS. I paid $8400 for a 14k mile 2014 model with hard bags, Altrider guards, Rigid LED bar, lots of little tweaks; which impresses me as a good value.
  6. idea man

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comparo. Interesting stuff. Glad that S10 was sorted properly and that does sound like good value. Yamaha makes good stuff. That they have tuning forks as their corporate symbol spoke to their mission back in the day. Sounds like they may still mean it. Continued good luck with it.
    Oh, and how many Clearwater sets should a BMW owner put on a GS? That depends how many will fit. IMHO. :-)
  7. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    The answer is never more than one, if even that many

I recall you have two though

It's your money I reckon
    idea man likes this.
  8. idea man

Oddometer:
    I only added one (so far). The others are OEM. They come in handy every once in a while.
    That light bar looks pretty cool. :-)
  9. zacnzoe

zacnzoe bustnluc

Oddometer:

Like a deer in headlights? Or elk, or black cow, or dog(s), or skunks, or drunk urban camper in the middle of the road! You only need a lot of down country light when you need it. . . .
    idea man likes this.
  10. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    The Five-Oh Former Cycles of MeefZah club did a lap around Ruth today, then up and over Kneeland...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Need For Speed and TwilightZone like this.
  11. AnotherJones

AnotherJones Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this our official new MC name? Where's the clubhouse with the toothless hookers and beer gonna be?
    MeefZah likes this.
  12. idea man

Oddometer:
    Oh, you guys need to get t-shirts....or at least tank tops. :-)

Cool ride. Beautiful day.

I am starting to see the wisdom of Meef selling his bike to his co-workers and close friends. Instant riding partners.
    Well played Mr. Meef, well played.
    MeefZah likes this.
  13. Kenny M.

Kenny M. Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For a million years we always called him Big Tall Onion and Babe the Blue Balls. He will also talk to folks in the parking lot. When Linda asked why he wouldn't talk to her, I told her he knows you will just argue with him.
    MeefZah and AnotherJones like this.
  14. AnotherJones

AnotherJones Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They're a true family treasure....
    Screenshot_20210210-202251_Gallery.jpg
    MeefZah, Kenny M. and zacnzoe like this.
  15. Redwood Rider

Redwood Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Before you all get balls deep in Babe, can I get a ride recommendation?

Looking for a one-day ride starting in Santa Rosa that gets me off road at least briefly, maybe somewhere in the Mendo. National Forest. Heard there's some good stuff up there.

I'm on a pig of a GS so nothing too hairy. I've been most of the on-road places in the area already.

Oh yeah, and it's for this weekend.
  16. Kenny M.

Kenny M. Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @mootsuno to the customer service line.
  17. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bring your rain gear
    Rips Millar likes this.
  18. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe snow shoes too.
    Rips Millar likes this.
  19. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    Unless you are a baseball star it is probably useful to have large gonads if you are named Babe. However it is a little unusual for any color of Ox to be an intact male. Anatomic accuracy aside, those are pretty cool structures. Pretty neat that TwilightZone's dad had a part in it.
    Kenny M. and MeefZah like this.
  20. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    It's gonna be wet but if for some reason it's not, go north on 101 to Ukiah, take Talmage, first exit to the east and hunt for Cow Mountain, ride the main road (right at the first fork) all the way through, then wind south through wine country home....there's others, but that's a good starter .
    Redwood Rider likes this.