southern humboldt rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by brewmike, Feb 27, 2016.

1. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Gibroni FTMFW!!! Iron Sheik style!!
    Veeblefetzer and Scotty707 like this.
  2. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huzzah! Hell yeah. My cousin and her kid live in Chico, and I'm still dying to introduce my girl to them. Give me another reason.

Good to know that Stonyford isn't so special after all. I've known a few people who somehow saw it as some kind of Mecca. I was always pretty happy with Hollister Hills. But now that I've been riding around Bend, holy shit, I don't even like the city and I want to move there.

I'm open to ANY invites for trail riding this week. I don't want to be TOO bored.
  3. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Lots of folks call bicycles The Fountain Of Youth.
    I do have a lot of history on pedal bikes,from thrashing hard as a kid, to Mt bikes when they first came out, to road racing some, lots of club riding.
    Ridden Down Pikes Peak at full chat, Mammoth Mountain the same. Always liked em.

This one girlfriend I had was pretty wacked,we rode a century every weekend one summer and fall. Traveled all over doing that. Got a new knee in 2015 and worked back into pedaling again.
    So Im thinking maybe I can do some 100 milers again. Im slow going up hill,always have been but I get there.
    Did the Markleyville Death Ride twice. 17,400' of climbing last time I did it.

Like most dirtbikers going fast downhill on bicycles seems easy.
    idea man likes this.
  4. Scotty707

Scotty707 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We tried to go to Brick and Fire once and found the place empty. Yet they wouldn't give us a table because we didn't have a reservation. Other times I've called about reservations and nobody ever answers the phone. After seeing your review, I'm glad I've never given them money.
    WestSlopeNorCal likes this.
  5. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had dinner there once... dinner was pricey and basically was nothing special.
  6. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want good food, just go to pachangas. Best spot in town
  7. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, tandoori bites has been nothing but disappointment for me. My food was clearly reheated both times I had been there (and once, not enough).
  8. WestSlopeNorCal

WestSlopeNorCal Mark

Oddometer:
    Been invited to ride Stony many times, I have no interest.
    If I see another rider on my dirt rides I consider it a failure on my part from a ride planning stand point.
    I am a hermit, can't escape that reality. Besides riders gunning blind corners in the wrong lane make me want to pull out my Glock and shovel to end that madness.
    I only ride the popular OHV's when snow is deep enough to scare most off.
    Glamis, Sand Mountain, and Moon Rocks no longer for me unless I can ride the backside in weather.

My son recently invited me for a mountain bike ride. He has an E bike and me a regular Giant Trance II. I told him to wait at intervals for me and he said he was fine with that.
    He tricked me and brought another borrowed E bike for me to try.
    Bastard kid.
    I'm hooked now and just got an E mountain bike. Better workout than ever and I am on trails my aging body could never had considered before.

Reminds me of a place I used to have lunch or diner at many yrs ago on the El Camino Real in Sunnyvale.
    Amazing pork burritos with green sauce and Jack cheese. A dump with only 4 tables inside. They closed after a short while and it took us maybe 10 years to figure out how to duplicate the recipe.
    It's a regular for us at home now.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  9. AnotherJones

AnotherJones Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Food! Since I'm a fat bastard I must weigh in (yes, pun intended). Jerk Kitchen is awesome and I was also happy with Tandoori Bites. I've only been there once and it was with the Zah, so maybe we just hit it on the right day.
    MeefZah likes this.
  10. WestSlopeNorCal

WestSlopeNorCal Mark

Oddometer:
    i guess most know Stony was badly burned not too many years ago
  11. 2ndGen

2ndGen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m always curious what kind of riding is happening in Humboldt in terms of trails, single track, or non fire road kind of stuff. I only know Redwood House and Kneeland, which are super fun but decently busy, and then the King’s Peak stuff, which is my favorite ride up there. Crazy beautiful. Usal is fun. I ride a lot of OHV living in the Bay Area but I grew up in Humboldt and visit a bunch. If I knew there was good riding up there I’d be faster to move back. Is it mostly private land? Or you just gotta know?
  12. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I coached my sons mountain bike team several years ago and I finally had to buy an e-bike too. You are so right. They are so much fun. I got a 2.5in tire on my hard tail and it corners...confidently.

Jerk Kitchen! I just drove by there yesterday and wondered how it was. Thanks!
    Looking forward to trying the new KFC.... :-)
  13. Scotty707

Scotty707 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Every time I pass by, the "campers" are stacked several deep.
  14. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Im pretty confident,that by the time Im ready to buy an E-bike they are going to be really trick.
    They're pretty dang nice like they are, but it's a fast growing segment and demand is there.
    Friend's have bought them and done 60+ loops in the mountains that would take 2 grinding days on pedal mt bikes. Sierra City to Gold Lake's Basin via big climbs,and on and etc from there. The big tires means the ultra soft areas are way more do-able then on a pure pedal bike.
  15. sharpie1

sharpie1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I lived in Humboldt for a year a few years ago for work. I tried to find good small bike riding and people to ride with no luck. Lots of good big bike riding, but big bike day rides are not really my thing. I was happy getting back to Northern Nevada for the little bike riding.

And all this Stoneyford talk, IMO Stoney is stupid fun riding and linking it with Middle Creek you can ride single track all day and never hit the same trails twice.

EDIT: the Middle Creek side has more tighter, flowy single track...
    Rips Millar and 2ndGen like this.
  16. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the coastline... it is mostly private or parks.
    Going inland, most all the private sub-divided land is occupied by dope farms.
    SRNF is now becoming 'wilderness'. Lassics is mostly wilderness. Siskiyous are becoming 'wilderness'.
    Mendo forest is largely burned.

Few single tracks on the NF land... but it's shrinking.
    Only big BLM land is the Kings Range (by Shelter Cove) and it's also pretty restricted.

Any more, most of the riding is FS roads, but now you can't go er... 'legally' on most of them.
    No enduros anymore.
    Veeblefetzer and 2ndGen like this.
  17. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can imagine. On the MTB trails, I was able to clean sections on the e-bike that I had to walk on the 30 speed. More and more companies are selling them. Once I got my second one, I sort of stopped paying attention to the marketplace. I’ve always dreamed of as Ti framed, full sus’ed, mid drive. My Haibike hardtail is a robust 50 lbs.
  18. 2ndGen

2ndGen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah. That’s my impression. I ride dirt bikes and I like trails. People think I’m crazy when I say I’m closer to good riding in the Bay Area than Humboldt. I’ve been wanting to move back for years but I need a place to ride. I grew up there for the first 25 years and my dad has been there 45 years and still it’s Redwood House every time. Which is super fun. Gets old though. Kings Peak is the best, Alder Point, Dyerville Loop, Bell Springs... I can actually map a decent amount of dirt/gravel between my house and my dad’s. Solid loop. Still need trails though.
    My dad builds houses and knows a ton of people from working all over the county. Talks bikes with all of them. His impression is that if you don’t have access to property with trails you’re pretty out of luck. Good to have that confirmed here.
    Thanks for the Middle Creek tip! I ride the Sheet Iron every year (when that was happening) and what I’ve seen of Stonyford in that context seems fun. I don’t love 2 way trails though. That, among other things, is why Hollister is the best.
  19. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    Sorry everyone i can't let that go. How can you compare Hollister hills to Stonyford? Hollister is 800 acres, 24 miles of trails, catering to jeeps and bikes, with everyone from the Bay area there every day....

Stony is 90,000 acres with 200 miles of trails, and lots of times completely empty (excluding holidays we have mentioned). Like @sharpie1 said, link it to Middlecreek and omg, there's not a tank big enough... my .02$

one way trails are great, until that one dude drops something or loses his buddy or gets lost or whatever and decides to swim upstream....

rant over
    sharpie1 and 2ndGen like this.
  20. 2ndGen

2ndGen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rad!! I’ll definitely check it out. I’ve only ridden through on the Sheetiron like I said but it sounds spectacular and is always super fun for the short time I’m there. And yeah, try getting back to your struggling girlfriend on a 1 way trail. Ha. Empty and huge sounds amazing. And only an extra 20 minutes from me. That’s worth it for sure. I’ve heard it’s not the best for beginners but with that kind of acreage there’s gotta be something for the GF. I’m stoked.