southern humboldt rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by brewmike, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Redwood Rider

Redwood Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I was afraid of that.

Couple more weeks of warm weather and sunshine should change things.
  2. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been cold at night inland... no Red-Bud blooming so far. Usually blooms at Easter.
  3. Redwood Rider

Redwood Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How far inland? I saw lots of blooms a week ago along Highway 36, just west of Red Bluff.
  4. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    Up the Salmon River.
  5. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    So my Sat / Sun ride this week is north to Salmon River Rd (thanks for scouting it TZ), back across Scott River Rd. I think the whole loop from Eka back is about 400 mi. Next day probably do Hwy 1 south to 128, then over to Clearlake and back, probably 350 miles. Both all day, breakfast and lunch on the road. Taking Tenere b/c the poor KTM needs a damn break... over 2k on it already and need a new tire 20 days into ownership...

Reach out if you want to come.
  6. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I did in 10 sets of tires on my R1150R in ............ah,about 30,000 miles.
    It was so fun to drift it off tight rough corners,one set went 1800 but it was darn fun. The tele-lever ft end usually let it ruin the front tire first.
    Peeled the rubber right off the sides leaving all sorts of weird scallopy shapes.

Various street riders have told me about 18,000 mile tire life. The throttle would have to be detached from the bike for that to happen.
  7. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    20CBC15A-433E-42FA-B08D-A8454B0FF393.jpeg Random photo I took at a random spot on today’s ride
    catfish likes this.
  8. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Holy shit!!!! So, what's next?
  9. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    6F847DC4-7BB8-413A-B432-E58E9F8781D7.jpeg This should be an easy one.
    The only teepee burner on the only one lane state highway in California.
    I can’t believe I took two pictures yesterday and the world didn’t wobble off its axis or something.
    catfish, MeefZah and Foot dragger like this.
  10. Veeblefetzer

Veeblefetzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What the heck are those things? (I call them Daleks, after the Doctor Who villains.) I've seen them in Mendocino and Humboldt, and I think I even saw one from the Amtrak train to Portland. Some kind of charcoal furnace?
  11. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    I believe they burned off the sawdust from small lumber milling operations ? That's what I always thought....
    idea man likes this.
  12. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is one of these things in Carlotta off Hwy 36. I don't think this is that. One lane state highway....dunno. I need to get out more. Yeah, yeah, I know, priorities.
    Teepee burner is what I've always heard them called and Meef's right, used to burn "excess" wood product from the mills. Every mill seemed to have one.
  13. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    I'm actually having a harder time with the clues than I thought I would. Not the Carlotta one because that one is gated and has a bunch of shit around it. One lane state highway... nothing but 36 comes to mind and Google isn't helpful...

I'll figure it out if I have to satellite image the fucker though!
  14. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    NM, got it!
  15. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I see a rentable structure.
    That would bring 250 a month around here easy.
    Surcease likes this.
  16. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    My dad built lots of them after WWII. He had a welder that would get tied off on a harness at the top of the frame. Hoist him up the frame, then they would lift up a pre-cut straight plate... he would weld it down on the top and use his feet to form the sheet to the teepee frame. He could weld at about 3' distance. Then hoist up another plate.

Used to be a HUGE burner (not teepee shaped) at the old Carson mill in Eureka.
    Big wire/fire screen on top. During the night you could see the screen glowing (usually through the fog).

Every morning there would be a layer of ash covering Eureka. 'Old timers' may remember it.

upload_2021-4-2_11-49-59.png
    Veeblefetzer and MeefZah like this.
  17. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember the ash, even in the 60's and 70's. The burners were on their way out when I got here.
  18. Veeblefetzer

Veeblefetzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Allright, now I have to drop a pin on my GPS every time I see one of these, and that will undoubtedly lead to me trying to do one ride that passes by as many as I can in one day. There goes my summer, spent motorcycling again, just like all the others. When will I learn?

The first "teepee burner" I ever saw was on Orr Springs Road, across from Hoe Road just west of Montgomery Woods.
  19. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Here in the valley,we make do with rice farmers burning stubble. There are other ways to get rid if it but burning is the cheapest. With the inversion layer that gets going here we can be under a smoke layer with fine ash for a long time.
    If the wind is from the north Sacramento and other northern areas get the smoke.
  20. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    What’s fun about the one in the photo, and why I picked it, is that it was built to span a creek. The mill was on a small flat behind and to the right in the photo.
    I’m guessing it had some kind of grates on the bottom so the ashes and coals could be “ flushed out” rather then shoveled.
    MeefZah likes this.