southern humboldt rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by brewmike, Feb 27, 2016.

1. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, there is no river crossing on that road / trail. The river crossing on the Van Duzen is at the eastern end of FR 1N10 (link below). The trail has a small creek at the bottom of a steep hill. In my one photo of the trail the creek is right behind me, I got out to check a good line to cross it and took that photo as I was walking back to the truck. That crossing is not hard, it just has a high bank that requires momentum to get over, and on a lower (non dirt) bike you might high center and need to drag it a few feet to clear. You can kind of see the one side just ahead of the truck, thee are some roots and such and then about a 2' drop into the creek, and a similar rise exiting the creek.

I think the VD crossing would be generally passable on a bike, but not with the raging torrent of water that was in the river when I went. I was sort of thinking about going for it, because I do love me a river crossing (again, see link below, LOL), but this was moving too fast even for my liking. I didn't relish the idea of wading through fast moving water to attach the winch to a tree, nor the idea (as Scotty 707 said) of the truck winding up in Alton via the river.

Map link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4154394,-123.5243647,16z

River crossing link (not the Van Duzen, though):

Foot dragger likes this.
  2. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Don't think it'd be in the air for long.
  3. MeefZah

Oddometer:

Cool links!
  4. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    These posts really bring back a lot of great memories. Another ride which we did quite often started in Garberville, we would get there from Fortuna or Hydesville a couple of different ways. Usually re-fuel and start up the AlderPoint/ Bridgeville Rd that leads to Hwy. 36. When you just get past AlterPoint and cross the large bridge over the river you start to climb just a bit and if pay attention you will first see a sign for Fort Seward and shortly after that a sign for Ketonpon. Sorry I am butchering the spelling of these two places. We did the Fort Seward route once, not much to see as you cross the river ( where the town once was) you can see just a little bit of things to show where it was. If you follow the road which is graded gravel/asphalt it will led you back to the Ave. of the Giants Rd. Now back to AlterPoint/ Bridgeville Rd. a few miles past the Fort Seward sign there is a sign for Ketonpoon, take that right and you wont be disappointed. It will led you into Ketonpoon, and from there you will pass thru Zenia. Either in Zenia or just past it is another road coming to that road on the right that road will bring you into the back side of Ruth Lake and or Hwy 36. If you decide to go thru Zenia that road will drop you back down onto AlterPoint/Bridgeville Rd. Sorry that I cant remember all of the road names, but I could ride there with no problems, when I lived there I used the AAA map for that area. It worked great for me. When the weather gets a little more stable I am heading that way, I love riding up there. Oh yeah I am heading to the AAA office for another map of that area....maybe it will help me with the spelling of these places. Another road I never got the chance to try was Bell Springs Rd. which you pass coming up out of Garberville, its on my to do list.
  5. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    I've been using this guy, it's about 99% reliable so far. I usually mark on there what routes are dead ends and where, what routes are through routes, etc. It's pretty detailed. Kind of large for the bike though. $25

[​IMG]
    WRC51 likes this.
  6. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that MeefZah I have been looking for a good map source. I had a Butler map for Northern Calif. but really couldn't get into to it.
  7. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a good 'free' online map service.

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=40.36932,-123.46619&z=14&b=t

Note that most of the maps are 'old'... it shows roads and
    trails abandoned by the USFS.

Another California Atlas... (Benchmark).
    IMHO: It has more 'readable' secondayr road settings. (Yes, I have both of 'em).

Amazon has both Benchmark and De-lorme Atlases.
    Both the DeLorme and the Benchmark are too big for the bikes... (bummer).

[​IMG]
    Foot dragger and WRC51 like this.
  8. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Yikes. That is pretty ballsy what with snow being on the ground,if things stuck it would be some cold hiking around in water to winch out. Ive done a good amount of 4X4 wallowing and destruction in my day but always in one I dont own.

Ive thrashed my DR650 into some kinda funny areas but have never attempted to drag it's 400+lb amazingness out of any water or big holes. Bike pictured here would be the one for tricky stuff. IMG_6075.JPG

It might be spring before I get back out that way on the DR,weve got a dirt route figured out from Paskenta to near Platina and so on, so it isnt all pavemento to Mad River,but takes hours to get there. (Nice Pics!,great Fall colors and northern wetness shots) The 300 goes out today,trails here are nice clean and wet decomposed granite,with a good amount of solid white granite to climb around on.
    slowerthanu likes this.
  9. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would be cool if one of you local guys setup a little Rally of the Redwoods type thing:D. One or two day thing couplea hundred miles or so. Such a great mix of roads and trails up there to choose from. Piece of Cake.....right :rofl
  10. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, and lower Arizona
    We've got a few decent camping areas within a few miles of Shelter Cove. I don't know if my new neighbors would appreciate an ADV rally in my yard. Maybe though.......
    WRC51 likes this.
  11. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe this could be rally Central?? 020.JPG
  12. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or this. 003.JPG
  13. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    That's the view out my window. I vote for here. Garage and tools available if needed.

Edit- deli, grocery store, gas, and pizza shop within .1- 2 miles.
  14. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha Ha I knew you lived in Shelter Cove.....yes your neighbors would love it. That parking lot was one of our go to lunch spots, beautiful setting.
    madeouttaglass likes this.
  15. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Set it up! We could do Usal, the twisty bit of 1 going back up to 101, lunch at the Peg House, over through Garberville and up Alderpoint... did I mention lunch at the Peg House? Because we could get lunch at the Peg House.
  16. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to me. I also recently bought the tall Transit van for hauling bikes if anyone has mechanical issues out here. When are we talking about? Camping in my yard would be fine. Neighbors are all actually pretty cool. They loved it when the CVOHarley people all came for coffee during their Redwood Ride. (Not the Redwood Run)
    SelfPropelledDevo and WRC51 like this.
  17. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    Recommended rides tomorrow.

FH1 - Ammon Ridge Road. Beautiful maples along that road !!!!
    Take your camera. Watch for needles/leaves on Ammon Road.
    WRC51 likes this.
  18. Scotty707

Scotty707 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If only there was a place to get lunch ...
  19. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    They'll let anyone in at the Peg House. You shoulda seen the outlaw I had to sit with.
  20. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    What's lunch like at the Peg House ? Burgers-n-fries ?
    I have driven by it for years, but have never stopped in.