Southern Illinois

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by eldomike, Nov 27, 2011.

1. kanur

kanur cu new er

Oddometer:
    I hope a lot of you got to get out for a ride Sunday as it was about as good as it gets for January.After cutting and splitting wood Saturday I was ready for some fun.

When riding by myself I usually don't stop a lot much less stop and take pictures but today that was my goal.........well it was until I forgot the camera...........so we get Iphone pics instead.

Caution: KTM 690 pic heavy.

Thebes Courthouse with railroad bridge in the background
    [​IMG]

Under the bridge
    [​IMG]

Rock Springs
    [​IMG]

Barn Art
    [​IMG]

Sexton Creek: If you thought this was rough on the Loose Nuts ride it is down right brutal now after the 4" rain a couple weeks ago.
    Katoom is still clean at this point.
    [​IMG]

More later
    [​IMG]
  2. kanur

kanur cu new er

Oddometer:
    This rutted hill can be very slick at times but was very tractable for as wet as it's been.
    [​IMG]

Backwoods navigation made easy
    [​IMG]

Frozen lake
    [​IMG]

Eagles were everywhere and I saw at least 3 active nests.
    [​IMG]

Not so clean KTM now
    [​IMG]
  3. kanur

kanur cu new er

Oddometer:
    This is above the snake road that they close each spring and fall to let the snakes make their way safely to and from their dens.
    [​IMG]

I've always thought this rock looks like a giant hornets nest.
    [​IMG]

Last picture before my phone battery died. Time to head home, my low fuel light came one and it's getting late. The last ten miles at dusk was getting cold
    [​IMG]

This thread can now go back to it's regular cob-web state
  4. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    as soon as my son get his bike back together there will be no more cob webs on this thread, he rides the Shawnee almost every weekend, I just can't pull away to do as much riding as he can.

ride on gents.
  5. Curiousteve

Curiousteve Curiousteve

Oddometer:
    Kanur, you covered some ground! I know exactly where you were in those photos! Yesterday was a pretty good day too, but I went west instead of east. You know they say "Go west old man, go west." :D
  6. kanur

kanur cu new er

Oddometer:
    Farmboy and Ozark I hope to cross paths with you someday.

Curioussteve I did get a good ride in on the 690, I really like that bike. I can't wait to take it out west. Michelle and I got a ride in on the big bikes last Saturday, we went north between Hwy 61 and the Mississippi.
  7. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    It will happen for sure this summer sometime, my wife and I drove on most of the same roads you did in your last report last Saturday in the outback, it was a muddy mess but still a nice drive with some eagle sightings around the Pine hills too. :clap

I have been pinning roads and trails like a mad man on google earth south and east of the Pine hills this week, Me my boy, son-in-law and a co-worker and planning a bike camp and ride at the Pine Hills CG this summer, I will be sure to let you know ahead of time, maybe you can at least ride over and burn some gas, and we can ogle over the KTM.
  8. kanur

kanur cu new er

Oddometer:
    I'll be looking forward to it but there is a lot of riding to be done till then.
  9. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Usually need to force them on with a vice grip and nut or link press or whatever,..... but should be able to get it on. Even off the bike and without the rest of the chain you may need to force it a little.

BTW I'm a retired mechanic of 37 years, I've been riding for 43 years, I've had almost 40 bikes, and rode way over 500,000 miles, but I've never washed a chain, :deal ..... except when I detail a bike for sale. :D YRMV

Good luck, if you were closer you could come by and I'd put it together for you.
  10. lfs225

lfs225 Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.

Oddometer:
    Naples, Fl with a storage unit (house) Mo
    Sieg: In the 60's, when I first starting riding, you washed your chain after every ride. The chains were horrible. We purchased then in bulk from a tractor supply company.

The ritual was: remove the chain, wash it in kerosene, then roll it up and place it in a flat bottom pan, pour a mixture of STP and motor oil into the pan and let the chain soak for a few days, then hang it up over the pan to drain for few days. Reinstall and repeat the next week. Chains lasted about two months before they were stretched out so bad you couldn't use them.

Cables were not sealed and you had to wash then out as well and then use Dri-Slide on them. Brakes were drums that wore out and the shoes could not be adjusted enough to give you any brakes. It could say rain on the radio and the bikes would have no brakes.

I snapped a front axle into two pieces on one bike while I was riding in the woods. Junk on wheels is what they were.

But we had fun :clap
  11. William42

William42 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember this. We did have fun. Still do.
  12. sieg

Oddometer:
    I have ...... somewhere ..... a barbeque grill rotisserie motor with a #520 front sprocket welded on it. You hung it from above and put the chain on it so the bottom couple links were in a can of gear oil (or wherever) then plugged it in over night letting the chain run through the oil. I would use #50 chain because I could 10ft rolls of that at a good discount. Oh yeah the good old days! :topes
  13. William42

William42 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you steal that from Super Hunky?
  14. lfs225

lfs225 Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.

Oddometer:
    Naples, Fl with a storage unit (house) Mo
    Aah.....Super Hunky.......now there's a name from the past. Kinda' like "Honest Charlie".
  15. Curiousteve

Curiousteve Curiousteve

Oddometer:

Great idea! I think I've got an old motor laying around and I know someone who knows someone who knows how to weld... Thanks!:rofl
  16. sieg

Oddometer:
    Don't think it would do much for an "O" ring chain, and I think it would be to stiff to follow the sprocket.
    The idea was for the thick oil to work it's way into the pins with the chain bending back and forth, that ain't gonna happen with an "O" ring chain. Or maybe you aren't using an "O" ring chains.
  17. Curiousteve

Curiousteve Curiousteve

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... good point! Yeah, I'm running O-rings... got over 10,000 miles out of my first one on the WR250 and over 20,000 on the first one on the Wee without removing either one for "dip washing". I'm still on the original one on the Goldwing.:rofl

But I do get the crud off my chains with a GrungeBrush before lubing and I'm a fan of spray-on teflon... it dries non-sticky and doesn't built up in the small sprocket cavity like some or fly off and make a mess. What's your favorite chain lube method, if you don't mind sharing a little wisdom?
  18. Paul Penton

Paul Penton Trails Are Us

Oddometer:
    My thinking has been since the advent of oring chains that the purpose of the oring is to keep the factory lube in and the mud and water out. So as long as the oring doesn't dry out everything works.

I bought a XR650L in 1998 and rode it until 2004. I never used anything on the chain except WD40. It had the original chain and sprockets when I sold it and they were in good shape.

I just sold my 2009 DRZ400S with the original chain and sprockets and they are in good shape. It has over 5,500 miles and I never used anything except WD40.

Call it wisdom or stupidity I don't know but it works and is a lot cleaner than chain lube. I also spray the complete bike with WD40 each time after washing trying to keep it off of the disc brakes as much as possible.
  19. kanur

kanur cu new er

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap that's what I do, I find it very cost effective :deal

Ride this weekend?
  20. sieg

Oddometer:
    True this ^ ! :deal

Many people have good luck with all kinds of chain maintenance. From none at all to bike mounted chain oilers. Truth is, O-ring chains are so bullet proof that you can't hardly go wrong.

BTW When my kid was MXing we'd spray the whole bike down with WD40 to make it look nice at the gate and keep the mud from sticking to it. Now on my dirt bikes I don't care about looks so much.

Damm you. :evil This will get me tarred and feathered by some, but you had to ask, so here's my chain maintenance routine. :rofl
    I use chain wax for lube, seams that its not as messy, and dirt does not stick to it as bad as oil based lubes, and it doesn't seem to fling all over the bike. YRMV I lube dirt bikes generally ever day, street bikes evey 500 to 1000 miles or after riding in the rain.
    If I were to clean a chain for a bike detailing I'd use WD40 as it has some lubricating properties. I would never use kerosene to clean a chain, it just don't seem right to me using something that dissolves lube, and I have seen it swell some O rings. Again YRMV. And this will make some here get sick so please sit down and if you have a heart condition do not read the next sentence.> I have cleaned chains with a pressure washer, ahh ...:yikes !! I spray at the sideplates from the side at a 90 degree to the plate not at the O ring. :hung

Other than for looks I see no reason to clean a chain, I've never seen dirt on the roller and that is the only place the chain touches the sprocket. So what will the dirt hurt on the outside of the O rings or the sideplates? If it gets past the O rings you ain't gona clean it out and it's too late anyway. IMHO

The spring originally is always in, to keep #1 lube in, #2 dirt out. I put zerks in my hubs, and the seals in backwards, spring out, to #1 keep dirt out. YRMV