Southern Illinois

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by eldomike, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Solo and no Jerkins
  2. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    That sucks
  3. Themastermike

Oddometer:
    Thought I saw a post from @BigDogAdventures on here last night.

What happened to that?
  4. vfrpilot

vfrpilot Stress Relief Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw it too
    ?????????
    Hmmmm
  5. Themastermike

Oddometer:
    Might be a good day to see if the wheels are still round on a motorcycle today.
  6. Themastermike

Oddometer:
    Yup IMG_20190203_144449821.jpeg
    1stgenfarmboy and sieg like this.
  7. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    I slung a leg over and took a short ride for the first time in over 4 weeks, my leg feels good, the 14th is my next exray I sure hope he says I'm done with crutches, I'm going nuts not being able to ride.......and my armpits are sore as can be.
    sieg and Themastermike like this.
  8. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    020319.SaltWellRoad.jpg

You were right. Great day for riding. Hit a little snag on Salt Well Road near Equality. Never dawned on me that the river was up. Waited for a while for someone with bigger tires to verify the depth, but no one came so had to turn around. Water was somewhere between 6 inches and 3 feet deep. Discretion is the better part of valor.
  9. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    021219.BurdenFalls2.jpg 021219.BurdenFalls.jpg

Good to see the sun for a change, this evening!
  10. milq

milq Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somehow I’ve never managed to get to Burden Falls, been all around it though.
  11. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    We try to get over to Burden and Jackson after a big rain, they don't run big for long
  12. Suruppak

Suruppak Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    fredz43 likes this.
  13. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Suruppak likes this.
  14. motocrossross

motocrossross Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did anyone here get signed up for the lbl200? They did online registration this year, the 250 rider limit was full in 2 days. A few from pinckneyville made it in.
  15. milq

milq Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not me. A friend and I discussed it (he’s done it before) but it was already full by the time he tried to register us.
  16. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    BigDogs -----Old Mans Gravel Bicycle Ride Fun Run

There was a gravel bicycle race a couple weeks ago that started and ended in Alto Pass.
    Some serious racers rode that thing---no old men on Raleighs that's for sure.

Anyway I'm planning on lolly gagging the shorter route of 30 miles soon---long route is 62 miles.
    I'ts a cool route-------I'm not publishing the tracklog of it on here or some idiot (none of you guys of course) would ride a motorcycle jeep or side by side on it-----------a small piece of it is not legal for motorized vehicles---then it goes right across some guys property and down his driveway to the highway---they must have gotten permission from him I suppose. It's just a couple of miles that can be easily by-passed.

Almost none of it is on what I'd call a "highway"------as I won't ride a bicycle on a "highway".
    The rest is chip and seal and lots of gravel------stuff we've all been on.
    As an example a long portion of it goes high up into the gravel bluff road just Southeast of Grand Tower where you can go weeeeeeeeeeeee and coast down to Pine Hills Campground. You'll need that after climbing up there.
    A road bicycle with skinny tires would suck on this ride.
    But most anything with fatter tires would be good---the racers rode what looked like to me to be Tour De France race bikes with low bars but --------- fatter tires-------------not for me.

After doing this-------I'm going to ride the 2nd portion of the race route at some other date with good weather-------it is 31 miles and that route will really challenge me-----I can see me pushing my bike a lot. I'll camp at Pine bluff Campground when I do it----the route goes Southeast from there---makes a loop.

So when am I going to do this ???------------read Post number 2 and watch for updates------or cancellations.
    Loose Nut and sieg like this.
  17. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Ride On----Starting Wednesday March 13th
    If it ain't raining.

Watch here for latest ride info--------the first 2 words tell if it's on or off.
    Start date Wednesday March 13th in AltoPass, Illinois---the first day of some good weather.
    Start time: 10AM
    Post if your going to ride with me--otherwise I may just start riding anytime of day I please.

If the weather turns bad I won't go---and will re-schedule and post that the ride is off.
    If no one posts on here that they are coming I'm going anyway.

If need be------I'll furnish you a map so you'll know exactly where to go----------it's not like we are fighting thru brush on single track------all public roads.
    It's a no---brainer to navigate.
    You guys that ride down here a lot could take one quick look at the map and know exactly where the route goes by memory. If you ride faster than me---------you'll definitely need it---you don't have to stick with me---------I'm slow and look at stuff------and rest a lot----going fast bores the hell out of me.
    I'll be camping the night before in my van in downtown Alto Pass------or maybe at the rest stop overlook just out of town. Hope to get some breakfast in the little store in town that morning.
    Loose Nut, Oldad and sieg like this.
  18. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    Sooooooo can I be a safety guy on my V-STROM.....ya know like the Tour De France........:lol3
    Loose Nut likes this.
  19. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    That would be cool------------except I go so slow you'd probably fall over. :D
    Loose Nut likes this.
  20. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    If I was an old retired geezer I would ride with you, but some of us have to work and keep paying in so someone can fiddle around riding all over the place.:wave
    Loose Nut likes this.