Southern Illinois

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by eldomike, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    050219.BillHillHolFalls.jpg 050219.WilkinsRdFord.PS.jpg

Rode a little Thursday between showers......and the creeks did rise.
  2. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Didn't realize there was a replacement building at the Fort Kaskaskia State Historic Site (not....Pierre Marquiete park). Not as nice as the burned one but not too bad. But not as good.

Water almost up to the house below.... And access to Kaskaskia island was denied.

IMG_20190506_125754832.jpg IMG_20190506_125919478_HDR.jpg IMG_20190506_125933451_HDR.jpg IMG_20190506_131430975.jpg IMG_20190506_131440185.jpg IMG_20190506_120306663.jpg
  3. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok...……hmmmm….... :fpalm They have just rebuilt the shelter that burned, with donated money and they are now collecting donations to fix the stone corner walls at Fort Kaskaskia State Historic Site near The Pierre Menard Home State Historic Site.

:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer
  4. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    62298 in lovely corrupt/bankrupt Southern Illinois
    Grafton is the new Ellis Grove??
    sieg likes this.
  5. Themastermike

Oddometer:
    My bad....
    Sorry guys
    sieg likes this.
  6. Themastermike

Oddometer:
    I am in some great seats at the old ball game... 1557193109843.jpg
    vfrpilot, Oldad and sieg like this.
  7. DutchTerror

DutchTerror Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know it's fairly short notice, but an open invitation to any inmates that want to tag along. I've got a couple of guys rounded up from up here in Northern IL headed down to the prettier part of the state to ride part of the 2014 Loose Nut tracks. Just a short weekend run, we'll be arriving at Ferne Clyffe campground on Friday, May 17th, and maybe ride an abridged version of the Saturday track yet that day. On Saturday the 18th, we'll ride the Sunday tracks. Stay overnight and tell lies by the fire, then head for home on Sunday. I'll be leading with GPS, but I have a revised GPX file to share if you want it. Send me a PM if you're interested and want to tag along.

Does anyone know if Bill Hill Hollow road and the water crossing are open? I thought I read some rumors that private parties had purchased the adjacent land and were warding off anyone attempting to pass through.
  8. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    050619.LBL.jpg You're right. Great seats and great weather for a ballgame, too.

We rode gobs of twisties across the river in Kentucky yesterday and today, with a campsite in between last night 050619.LBL.jpg at Land Between the Lakes. Great weather, too. It's going to get hot one of these days and we'll look back an see what we missed. From Cave In Rock ferry, south, on the Kentucky side of the Ohio River, it's amazing how many curvey, hill roads there are. And they have practically no traffic. Lost of fun.
  9. OzarkDave

OzarkDave Army Veteran

Oddometer:
    ADVLBL ride at Land Between The Lakes May 17-19 camping at Turkey Bay.

The post is in the southeast section.
    DutchTerror likes this.
  10. DutchTerror

Oddometer:
    Ah, whoops. Tend to forget to look in the adjoining sections. Oh well, we already have our reservations at Ferne Clyffe. Thanks for the info.
  11. OzarkDave

OzarkDave Army Veteran

Oddometer:
    That's also the same weekend the Blue Angels are at Cape airshow
    Cow Boy Brad and DutchTerror like this.
  12. DutchTerror

Oddometer:
    Well, if nothing else, it should be quiet out there! We picked that weekend knowingly trying to avoid the crowds and chaos of Memorial Day the following weekend.
  13. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bill Hill Hollow is open. It is a bonafide public road and not a Forest Service Road and has always been legally, if not physically, passable. There is an issue with an other road closeby, Don Scott Road, which now sports numerous signs claiming the road is closed and or private, but is not on the Loose Nut routes. Just be careful crossing the creek in Bill Hill Hollow. It can be a bit deep following significant rain. Might try to hook up of stars align. The loose nut route actually goes right by my house on Battleford Road.
    DutchTerror likes this.
  14. DutchTerror

Oddometer:
    Great, and thanks for the info! You're welcome to swing by, even if only in the evening to BS in camp.
    Oldad likes this.
  15. hoyden

hoyden http://www.no-destination.org

Oddometer:
    I moved back home to Carbondale, IL in November and it's been long enough since I've lived back here, I've forgotten good roads for riding.

Anyone have some recommendations on some dirt for toodling around? Or some maps? I don't have a GPS for my bike, but have cell - will adventure!
    Nothing too tricksy - just some nice dirt and/or gravel for some day riding.

thanks!
  16. Themastermike

Oddometer:
    Pomona area, pine Hill area that isn't closed. Quickest sample for you is the dirt roads behind the landfill in DeSoto.

Great tarmac south of cdale to putt on also.

Look up loose nut 2014 tracks and you may sample some of those but start of anything is 45 minutes from you.

You'll be fine.
    sieg likes this.
  17. Themastermike

Oddometer:
    Randolph county Wednesday

IMG_20190507_135910085.jpg IMG_20190507_145553042.jpg IMG_20190507_150447810.jpg IMG_20190507_152119553_HDR.jpg
  18. OzarkDave

OzarkDave Army Veteran

Oddometer:
    Where is the Don Scott Rd?
  19. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. OzarkDave

OzarkDave Army Veteran

Oddometer:
    Ha. Asked and answered. Forgot.

I also never heard of that name, only the number. It did used to have a gate across it years ago and had to remove it. It did have a fs road sign there long time ago.