Southern Illinois

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by eldomike, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Solll Monday riding IMG_20190520_114955158.jpg
    MCRIDER1959 likes this.
  2. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Took off at the crack of dawn---right after O'Turd thirty------------headed for the ole' Mississippi at Chester.
    Coming off the bridge going West
    flooding (1) (1024x573).jpg

I knew the bridge was closing today---------but wanted to be the last person to cross it before the whole thing collapsed and got washed down the river. :lol3
    flooding (1) (1024x573).jpg

flooding (2) (1024x768).jpg

Going back into Illinois

Attached Files:

3. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    After breakfast in the Family farmhouse bakery in Chester-----------I went back.
    flooding (7) (1024x768).jpg

In Grand Tower----this sink hole is getting worse.
    Personally------------I think it's gonna blow.

flooding (8) (1024x768).jpg
  4. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Thebes is having big issues---------me and Loosenut rode thru here not long ago and none of this was under water. Had a hoot that day (Sunday) and probably put 400 miles on the bike. Damn near ran out of gas backtracking flooded and gated roads.

flooding (13) (1024x768).jpg
  5. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    We do the pumps and motors for the power plant at Grand Tower, they said they issued arm and tube floaties for the workers today.......:lol3:lol3

Not to make light of a bad situation, I hope the folks along the mighty Mississippi, stay safe.
  6. Themastermike

Oddometer:
    Water.... Randolph county IMG_20190611_143607911.jpg
  7. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    061219.CapeBridgeGage.jpg Looked like 50 feet of clearance under the bridge at Cape Girardeau yesterday.
  8. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    061119.TOT.Campsite.jpg

Found some great camping sites we never even knew existed. Stumbled onto Trail of Tears State Forest while looking for the Pine Hills Forest Service campground. Operated by the State of Illinois. Estimate about 20 total sites dispersed along two loop roads, north and south of the county highway. Campsites are separated by at least several hundred yards, some by much more. Think about a half dozen have shelters as depicted in the attached photo. Fee is only $8 per day for groups up to 8 people. And, Big Dog ought to like this, fee is reduced to $0 for Illinois citizens 62 and older. I think most have their own toilets. No water or power hook ups for large rigs.

Apparently it is possible to reserve sites on line, though we registered in person. Only two sites were occupied in addition to us on Tuesday. There may be restrictions during deer and turkey season.

Had no idea.
    justdirtyfun, Cav47, TonyKZ1 and 2 others like this.
  9. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Hey Oldad,
    I've camped in there a lot-------super cool remote camping------I love that one lane road thru there.
    It's gated all winter and into the spring. I once rented a site there for a few days and was going to have a kind of rally there---------but I went to Alaska :lol3

They are very lenient about firewood there. The forest guy told me I could chain saw any wood laying about and could even cut a dead tree down. That was 3 years ago------not sure I'd just go and do that now. Better check.

Use to climb that fire tower all the time----------but that's no more.

BigDog
    MCRIDER1959 likes this.
  10. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    We have also stayed there a few times, agree with BD 100%.

Only thing we heard all night was some coyote.
  11. kanur

kanur cu new er

Oddometer:
    I try to ride those two loops anytime I'm in the area and they are open.
  12. Themastermike

Oddometer:
    Another ride 1560888138585.jpg
    TonyKZ1 and Suruppak like this.
  13. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Me and Cowboy Brad braved it across the Chester bridge for breakfast a couple days ago----------at Al's of course.
    Brad took me to a few places------flooded of course.
    His Triump is up and running great.
    I rode my Honda CB500X
    Fred's (2).jpg

Fred's (1).jpg
    MCRIDER1959 likes this.
  14. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    So.........................today I found my newest most favorite place to eat. We ate breakfast.
    BlueBirdDiner (1).jpg

Rally Twins----- 500's they were------------if you add them up :jack:jack:jack
    So what's so great you ask--------I'm going to tell you even tho you didn't.
    Small little Mom and Pop cafe------or maybe it's Grandma and GrandPa ????
    Super good food--------old style cooking the old way.
    You don't need a menu for breakfast--------surely you know what you like-------tell the waitress and you'll get it---no need for a big ta-doo. Just waisting time.
    Best coffee ever. I think 5 different people kept my coffee cup full---------would have to tip all of them ??????
    But it was the people and ambiance-----I don't know how to spell that word---but spell checker did.
    There's a big church next door and the preacher owns the cafe----not open open on Sunday or Monday.
    Seem's his whole family and half the town folk work there----your coffee up will not go empty. Maybe they are just hanging out. Everybody talks to you and makes you feel welcome.
    So don't come in here yakking on your phone (I'd hide it if I were you) and don't be spittin', chewin' and cussin'. The door will meet you quickly and hit you in the be-hind.
    To my displeasure the big TV was on--------------to my Pleasure it was stuck on the ME channel---------black and white Andy Giffith was on the whole time we were there . Now that's a way to relax. I expected Gunsmoke later.

Where's it at ?????? Downtown Valier, Illinois--------------close to Rend Lake.
    Open at 6AM---------not sure on the hours each day.
    Takin' Mrs. Dog there tomorrow morning.
    RallyTwins.jpg
    TonyKZ1 and Kaveman like this.
  15. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    My mission for the day today was to get Jay's brand new bike muddy.
    Success :clap

Come on Jay----show those pics ????
  16. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    how are you liking the 500X BD, my boy has one and he likes it alot, although we are getting it back together from slicing a deer in half a month ago, he is just riding the WR now and is missing the 500 bad.
  17. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Liking it just fine---------had to get something lighter than my Africa Twin.
    Just trying to get it outfitted now. They changed a lot of things on this bike for 2019 and a lot of the old stuff like luggage racks, center stand doesn't fit.
    The center stand I got almost fit---------and hour of cutting, grinding and welding fixed that. Was a lot easier for me to do that than send it back--------not sure they even have one to fit it yet???
    [​IMG]
  18. Kaveman

Kaveman Unga.. Bunga..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hauled the 450l to Mitchellsville Store. Asked if I could park in the lot beside the store and they said yes. This is very close to the LooseNut tracks I was going to ride so that was cool. I went West a little bit to catch Burden Falls and Bill Hill Road then followed the tracks and had a great day. 4D45A0D8-C55E-446C-B6FA-94F5ADDCF65A.jpeg Eagle Mountain road wasn’t as ruff as last year but still fun. 44A50472-694A-45C2-8CC3-CA5897E43750.jpeg I forget the name of the church but this swinging bridge is next to it. I don’t think it had new wood on it last year. I’m glad someone took the time to do this. It’s really cool. 37CBA185-34B8-4032-BB5A-1478C2118D88.jpeg Ate lunch in Cave in Rock. E6F0633D-9055-4819-B530-1909586B20BC.jpeg Trigg fire tower. I took Trigg tower road East to go back towards Mitchellsville and it was really fun. For some reason I always missed where this track turns after the Iron Furnace. I didn’t miss it today. What a great road. I always love riding in this area. A great day to ride.
  19. ShawneeElder

ShawneeElder Better than I was before I got like I am now

Oddometer:
    SouthSouthernEastEastern Illinois (Eldorado)
    You are probably well aware but the huge amount of fantastic single track ( now illegal ) you passed by on your ride today was absolute dirt bike nirvana. Miss those days in a large way.
    sieg and Kaveman like this.
  20. Kaveman

Kaveman Unga.. Bunga..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw several trails on just Eagle Mountain road. Most looked like quad or Jeep trails though.
    I can’t imagine what it used to be like riding dirt bikes there.