Southern Illinois

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by eldomike, Nov 27, 2011.

1. ShawneeElder

ShawneeElder Better than I was before I got like I am now

Oddometer:
    It’s been many years but Wildcat Bluff had trail all along its top . If memory serves one trail up to top started near the salt spring. Could ride nearly to Glen O. Good days they were.
  2. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bridge looks familiar. Is it in the Harco area out about 3 miles west of Harrisburg?
  3. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep Oldad you got it !!!
    North of the bridge is a gate now----and is so grown up it looked impassable---but you can't get across the bridge anyway now.
    old bridge.JPG
    toypro1 likes this.
  4. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking at post # 1838 picture Mark. Have you gone back to the "LITE" side? And a Yamaha at that. Oh yeah, I remember that bridge on post #1836. Scares the crap out of me just looking at it today.
    BackRoadNomad and toypro1 like this.
  5. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Yeah----what dumb shits we were riding on that I-Beam. I was with Mark Beckman the other day at that bridge--------I didn't remember him being there---but after him telling me how scared he was I knew he was there.
    So----"Turn Around Don't Drown"---------"live to Dream, stay off the I-Beam".

I made that rhyme up all by myself :jack
  6. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ride down to Grand Tower, Reynoldsville, Jonesboro and home.

They are putting electric service back in at devil's backbone park so I'd say that will be back open for the business. Lots looked might tight to my eye.

Saw this eagle on the lake by Reynoldsville. Good morning for a ride. IMG_20210513_085944128.jpg IMG_20210513_095311578.jpg
  7. ahung12

ahung12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I'm looking at Bell Smith in Shawnee for Memorial Day weekend. I found Redbud Campground there, but it says the sites are all first-come first-serve, so it seems that there's a limit. LSHenk mentioned primitive campgrounds though; where are those relative to Redbud Campground?
  8. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think Red Bud is considered primative. The sites have no power, water or sewer. They're only $10 per night though. It is rare that Red Bud is ever completely full.

Rock climbers camp primatively a few miles west of Bell Smith, at Jackson Falls, but the locations (Calling them sites would be an exageration.) are mostly along the road near the climbing area. It's very popular with rock climbers. Absolutely no amenities.

Pounds Hollow has a campground that is least likely to fill up, but it's 20 miles east of Bell Smith, but reletively close to Garden of the Gods. There are dozens of sites and a number of them do have electicity.
    ahung12 and Old 179 like this.
  9. ahung12

ahung12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My mistake. I was associating "primitive" with "free and anywhere you like" - saw the charge, assumed they weren't primitive. I guess I'll probably still hit it up. TY for the clarification.
  10. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Spent the last few days camping at Riverview campground in Kentucky just about 7 miles SE of cave in rock.
    The weather could not have been nicer. Made several day rides from camp.
    Camped right at the ferry tonite......watching the ferry make its last run for the day.
    Head home in the morning.
    175B6A60-73E5-46AA-8570-0BEE6B860079.jpeg
  11. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    0B63EE11-A1E9-4ADB-B03F-1C4DA1EAD8E1.jpeg
    1stgenfarmboy and toypro1 like this.
  12. milq

milq Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glen O. Jones lake is just north of Garden of the Gods also. Never camped there but looks to be well maintained.
  13. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glen O. Jones is fine too. I'ts a IDNR (State) facility. None of the sites there have power, so might also be considered primative. The campsites are clustered mostly on the lake shore which is cool, but many are sloped and a little close together. There are additional sites up on the ridge, without a lake view.
  14. Grafspee

Grafspee one bike is never enough

Oddometer:
    This is the second weekend I have had the new/old RT had not done a proper day ride yet. My buddy picked up his new/old R1200RT on Friday so a shakedown ride was in order. We topped off the fuel tanks early morning on Saturday and headed SSE on backroads to Metropolis IL. Been by Metropolis many times but had never stopped and I wanted to see Ft. Massac there. We had a loose plan to meet up with a friend who was camping at Lake Glendale. After hitting some really nice curves south of Rt. 13 we arrived in Metropolis about 10:45am and went straight to the fort as we pulled into the parking lot there was our friend from Lake Glendale.

tempImageIqypeM.jpg

tempImagec9ld98.jpg

The original fort grounds overlooking the Ohio river and statue of George Rogers Clark.

After walking the grounds for awhile we decided to go the Fat Edds for lunch - I highly recommend in Metropolis.

tempImagee5rQ80.jpg
    more to follow.......
    William42 likes this.
  15. Grafspee

Oddometer:
    tempImagehzAcMD.jpg

After lunch we discussed a few routes.
    It had been a number of years likely 12 - 15 since I had ridden Bay City road that runs south out of Golconda IL and I remembering it as pretty interesting plus there is an old general store in Bay City (basically a ghost town) that we could stop at for water and a break. So we headed east from Metropolis towards Brookport where we planned to pick up Unionville Rd and east again to start north on Bay City Rd. Eventually we made it to Big Bay and the road was a good as I remember it. That area of Illinois is really really off the beaten path and likely never would have considered riding there if we hadn't been in Metropolis.

tempImageJvTwYV.jpg

A private party celebrating the life of the owner of the store was going on. The general store had been closed for 5 years the owner had just recently passed away. We spent some time talking to the wife and son. She told us her husband was 83 when he passed. Now she planned to sell the store that was built in 1915 and had even been the filming location of a movie some years ago. After drinking some offered water we apologized for interrupting their memorial and thanked them for the hospitality then continued north to Golconda. We then took a nice twisted road up to Eddyville. This is where we planned to split up as we were starting for home and our friend heading to dinner in Vienna and then back to his camp site.

tempImage1zvkeM.jpg
    Rogers bike is a first year model on its seconded engine but he has 238,000 plus miles on it - so does his boots!

tempImageHymbwh.jpg
    Roger pointing out Mark is trying to figure out an interesting ride home on the Analog GPS he is fond of using.

tempImagedL1PtC.jpg
    Mark's nicely kitted R1200R: Olhins, Akrapovic, lighter wheels - pretty sweet! I thought the price was a steal with only 8400 miles on it.

tempImagexTtsqy.jpg
    I stripped my bike down for the day to just a tank bag from my F800gs - I need to find something that fits better on this bike. My bike now has 6700 miles on it and we did 248 miles for the day.
  16. oldbiker83

oldbiker83 oldbiker83

Oddometer:
    I still like paper gps ha ha
  17. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Illinois Sunday

My couch on the right IMG_20210530_155249981_HDR.jpg IMG_20210530_155306511_HDR.jpg IMG_20210530_164222301_HDR.jpg IMG_20210530_164612603_HDR.jpg
    MCRIDER1959 likes this.
  18. Grafspee

Oddometer:
    I camped there a couple of times (tent once then hammock later) a few years ago when I attended a class at the local college east of Harrisburg. It is a really nice campground. The first time was a real pleasure but the second time some local kids were driving around the campground possibly drinking as they were loud and disruptive. The big issue was nobody would come out and do anything about it.

I did my share of driving around the backroads consuming the occasional cocktail when I was young but avoided other people like the plague back then. We never tried to bring attention to myself or my buddies when we did something stupid like that. It made me wonder if that was a persistent problem there.
    MCRIDER1959 likes this.
  19. Grafspee

Oddometer:
    I worked at Dales Harley Davidson in the early 2000s and this past weekend their/my lead mechanic retired. Marty was the typical grumpy mechanic but a great guy -truly realized that even more after I moved on from that job. Anyway while I was at the retirement party on Saturday they let me testride one of their Pan America Adv bikes.

mike.jpg
    Stopped by a buddies house so he could try it on.

Here are some observations:
    Sitting on it and rocking from side to side it feels much lighter than I expected.
    Power is no issue.
    It handles pretty nice.
    Wind protection is good.
    TFT looks to be as good as BMW's.
    You don't even realize the bike is rising and lowering - works seamlessly.
    Standing position is fantastic no need to change anything!
    I did a little gravel - it felt good on it.
    Jumps nice.
    Seated position puts me a little too far from the handlebar as my arms were straight out - I like to sit closer to the steering head with my arms bent.
    I think ol' HD did a good job on this bike and I hope they sell a bunch of 'em.
    Will I buy one? Unlikely too much money for me, my adventure bike is now a 250cc CRF Rally w Ohlins suspension it goes fast enough on the roads I ride it on.

Marty the retiring mechanic - he bought one and is outfitting it with bags. He plans to find out what this ADV touring thing is all about. Enjoy it Marty you deserve sometime for yourself!
  20. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    BD......we eat at Rupert's in H-burg all the time, great folks and good food, plus I like helping out places like his just to keep it there.

I'm always torn on telling people about it because I want him to thrive, but as you and all of us know, sometimes people can ruin cool things.
    MCRIDER1959 likes this.