Southern Illinois

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by eldomike, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a work weekend for me. Take some pictures. Need @BigDogAdventures to climb on the side for scale.
    toypro1 likes this.
  2. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  3. Ccieurzo

Ccieurzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the track. Going to get the drone out and get some action shots along the route. I was able to see 4014 in Utah in 2019 along with 844. They have a diesel helper along to keep thing moving. 3F45F056-62C2-4CF1-BC6D-447747C38667.jpeg F7E169FF-D788-495B-BED0-A947D6D6B3E3.jpeg 07BD87F1-F621-4337-9FCA-77EB9373B050.jpeg
    Got to see this beaut today in Strasburg, PA.
  4. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rattle snakes in the Shawnee. Have any close calls??? Accidently ran over one a week ago on a seasonal road. Looking ahead as I should going up a weed-limb-rutted road I missed seeing it. I happened to look in front of the tire and there it was. Only choice was give it some gas and lift my legs as high as I can. The rider behind me said it just shucked it's rattle after being ran over. I was expecting it to strike at my legs.

Has anyone hear of anyone being bite while riding? If bite, does one just kiss your a** goodbye??? Is there time to get to a doctors office/hospital for the antidote??? I have talked to couple people but I need more info!!!

Thanks for a response.
    Old 179
    toypro1 likes this.
  5. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:

That sounds great, count me in.
  6. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that instant death thing goes back to old westerns. I don't think many people actually die from bites.
    toypro1 likes this.
  7. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wondering if this is one of those new USFS approved “stop/spike sticks” for motorcycles??? It stopped me for about 8-10 minutes. A45C9C10-A1D4-4DA7-AD77-E80BE1447818.jpeg

On a side note, was caught by @Oldad and @LSHenk wondering around the Eagle Mountain area yesterday. :-)
  8. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Wow .........that's a wopper.
    1stgenfarmboy, Old 179 and toypro1 like this.
  9. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    P1070429.jpg

Chance encounter on Eagle Mountain Road.
    T-34 and Old 179 like this.
  10. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not absolutely sure but I think rattle snakes are not an endangered species in Illinois. They may still be a protected species, though and should not be killed unnecessarily.
    Almost all the rattlers I've seen in the Shawnee were in the area between Williams Hill and Glen O. Jones Lake, all while mountain biking. I've found them to actually be quite passive. Generally, they seem to just want to get away. They're not all that plentiful either. I think I read that they don't reproduce until they're at least 3 years old. So, if you kill one, it has a big effect on the population.
    T-34, 1stgenfarmboy and Old 179 like this.
  11. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:

Dang that's huge for here, out of all the trails my wife and I have hiked in our 35 years of marriage and all the dirt and gravel I have road I have seen exactly one rattler in IL, it was at the top of the overlook trail at Pine hills off rt3.
    Old 179 likes this.
  12. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2nd in three weeks for me! (logged about 1300 miles in that time frame) Then a 3rd one on western side of LN2014 tracks in 2018. Two made their way across the road without interference. :-) Other was accidently used for wheel traction. :(
    toypro1 likes this.
  13. LSHenk

LSHenk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    969A0545-1602-4032-A9AC-32D488D0CA9E.jpeg I found this one on Blackman Hill Rd this evening.
    1stgenfarmboy, Old 179 and toypro1 like this.
  14. LSHenk

LSHenk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Oldad and I got a nice long ride in today on the smaller bikes. We haven't been able to spend much time riding in the woods due to having to care for our injured wives. I have been getting reacquainted with doing laundry, cooking, cleaning and all the fun stuff she normally gets to do. We hit Palestine, Bill Hill Holler, Appel, Jackson Falls, Maxwell Ford, Cedar Grove, Burden Falls and back to the beginning to complete the loop. A big thank you goes out to whoever it was that cut the 4' tall weeds to make a path to get through Maxwell Ford. Without that being done I don't think we would have had a chance to get through. It's not often we get a chance to cross at this location but the low water and weed cutting made it just right for us today. Jeff Maxwell Ford crossing 2021 landscape.jpg
    T-34, RLMS, Old 179 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same road/area where I seen mine the week before. Pic is on my SET thread!
  16. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    I haven't crossed at Maxwell ford since 2006----------can't remember dates---but remember I was on my brand new Husky TE610-----------and fell over and got wet. :rofl:rofl
    That's the way I remember dates--by the bike I was riding.

I also remember seeing the remnants of an old bridge---some concrete stuff---any of that still there ?????
    BD
  17. LSHenk

LSHenk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    View attachment 3141167 I don’t remember seeing any old bridge remnants at Maxwell Ford but it could be there somewhere. I think it is time for you to go through there again. It is very steep with dislodged rocks going to Jackson Falls from the creek. Going east is no cakewalk but it is not steep. A lot of mud holes and large boulders to navigate. There is one old bridge that @Oldad and I would like to show you sometime. It is in the middle of nowhere but we have to let the weeds die before we could get to it again. Maybe this fall or winter. Just give us a heads up when you’re in this area and we will join you on a ride. View attachment 3141153
  18. LSHenk

LSHenk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm struggling to get this picture loaded the right direction. Hope this works. Old bridge.JPG
    rhino_adv and William42 like this.
  19. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, there are some concrete abutments or piers at Maxwell Ford. They are upstream from where we cross now.
  20. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer: