Southern Maryland Adventure Riders--Trans West Virginia Trail Take 2!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Dorito, Dec 9, 2012.

1. macaroni

macaroni Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We should coordinate, I'm planning on riding a few days too. I'm thinking more towards the end of the loop. My old man owns a cattle farm in Eagle Rock, Va not to far from the route so I'm planning on killing two birds with one stone.

If the rest of you are interested there's plenty of room on the farm for camping and what not....
  2. macaroni

Oddometer:
    That's interesting...when Garrett and I changed the tires on his XC we saw two holes drilled into the rim I wonder if the previous owner was running the same system?
  3. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    Possible or just a rim lock.
  4. macaroni

Oddometer:
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I don't know much about tires but why would a rim lock need an additional hole through the rim? I don't really know what a rim lock does.
  5. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    Secures the bead of the tire ensuring that it doesn't spin on the rim while running lower pressures for a broader softer tire which will give superior traction in various conditions....an off road thing.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ocg9b2elIMM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  6. macaroni

Oddometer:
    Ah ok, after a quick youtube video I have a slightly better understanding of a rim lock and it seems the rim lock is opposite of the valve stem. In Garrett's XC it was not. It was only 6" or so from the valve stem which seems to be more in line with the tubless system.
  7. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    i was thinking of catching the first weekend, but might be able to do the last weekend possibly including that Friday. Was sort of thinking of blasting down the blue ridge trail / parkway to catch up in one really long day in the saddle.

Dakar stage style nice 500 mile day :)

I'd be on 950adv.
  8. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've seen them both ways. It doesn't really matter. If you're going to run one on the street consider drilling them rim for 2 rim locks 180 apart from each other it makes balancing possible with out slapping on an insane amount of weight (2 to 3oz) opposite the rim lock
  9. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    The DR200 front forks are coming back from Racetech this week. They had been provided for R&D purposes, and cut me a sweet deal. She'll be sporting new, swanky suspension :clap
  10. joints4sale

joints4sale No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer:
    So.....

How many days are we camping?
  11. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Tough call. However, if I am going to drag all that crap, I'd like to do it more than once :Norton

Big factors will be:

1) Weather --If I ride in the rain all day, I won't be sporting to spend the night wet too

or

2) Weather--If it is <50F, Holiday Inn Express would be warmer

Ideally, 9 days total, I would be doing really good to camp 6 of those.
  12. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    So new tires are on order. One already came in :clap. Realized I needed something with some big knobs (D606).

[​IMG]

And while I always carry new tubes vacuum packed on the front fender, I also ordered TUbliss.

[​IMG]
  13. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Well, just over 6 weeks before launch. For those wondering about tracks, please see the link on page 1. You'll need to get the originators of the GPX file to email directly to you per their request.

Never underestimate how long it will take to load all the files into your GPX. It usually starts poorly with a Garmin map update, then renaming the files so I can find them. I will probably have this done as soon as we come home from Sugar Grove.

We'll got for the spring pipe opener and test all the winter mods in 2 weeks to Sugar Grove. Then well come home, put new shoes on the bikes, and launch.
  14. joints4sale

Oddometer:
    Have you pruned any of these tracks to suit our needs?:deal
  15. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    I will need to finish them up this weekend. All that really needs to be done is get the named files in the correct order and flip the direction of some of the tracks.
  16. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Got both of the GPSs firmware and maps updated. Hopefully, they are still working!
  17. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Track set pruned. About 2000 miles +/- an order of magnitude :nod And yet somehow we are never more than 250 miles from home. To get them to order correctly, I've also added a # before the track name.

I've made some crude assumptions on mileage:
    • You only get mileage for the main track (not any alts). I'd didn't want to split hairs on all the permutations. And since most are running parallel, you would be subtracting, etc
    • You will only ride one variation of Track 5

<iframe width="1000" height="500" src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ApmyRZJUDC4odEsxdWZvbnd5cWJTVGZBOGt1WWVlc3c&single=true&gid=0&output=html" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Please get your map set going! Instructions on post #1 if you haven't got them yet.
  18. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    I can't believe we are in the final glide slope. Started laying out the stuff that needs to be packed tonight.

I will begin to watch the weather. If the weather looks like it will be typhooning, we'll probably look to push out a week or two. How flexible are your plans?
  19. joints4sale

Oddometer:
    It would have to be after the 20th. I could even do Wednesday to Wednesday or something like that.
  20. Falcon86

Falcon86 I just work here.

Oddometer:
    This has a hell of a lot of potential.

Looking forward to seeing this thread progress!:clap