Southern Maryland Adventure Riders--Trans West Virginia Trail Take 2!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Dorito, Dec 9, 2012.

1. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    So for you guys that are going on the trip , how flexible are you on dates in case we need to push for some reason? I don't want to fall into the same trap as we did last year on the CDR and feel we have to go on those dates regardless.
  2. joints4sale

joints4sale No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer:
    See my answer above.
  3. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Got it....waiting on others.
  4. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Rog...everyone else can go anytime then...thanks!
  5. joints4sale

Oddometer:
    The reason you're asking is? Weather? Or other?
  6. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    It's all about options. Last time we did this in a typhoon, it was Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. The 10-day forecast is still good so we'll stay the course for now.
  7. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    I decided to run the Giant Loop without racks. I had to mount the but-fudgly Giant Loop Muffler guard, but it should work out. The DR had such a midget circumference muffler, I had to find a smaller hose clamp. I also ordered some adhesive heat shield for the bag. So, now nothing to do but watch the Giant Loop fill with water.
  8. joints4sale

Oddometer:
    Got the luggage sorted. Now I just gotta watch what I pack. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rode it home from Motovation and decided that I may need to go up a tooth on the front sprocket.
  9. joints4sale

Oddometer:
    Went from a 14 to a 15 tooth front sprocket and it made 55mph bearable. Wondering if I should go to a 17.
  10. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Never worry, I am WOT at 59MPH on the DR200..:rofl
  11. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Looks good, have you taken it for a ride to see how it feels yet? Just a little tidbit I picked up from H14 on the fender pack, use zipties to secure it on or it tends to come loose and fall off apparently. I used a small drill bit and drilled the fender and used small zipties through the buckle where the strap come through to secure it. I could provide pictures tomorrow if interested/needed.

As Dana said we won't be going very fast so I wouldn't sweat it unless it's just terrible. But with that said I am going back to stock gearing for the trip, currently 14/47 and stock is 15/44, won't be as much fun but should be better for the haul. Gotta go buy a 30mm socket tomorrow so I can get the nut loose on the front sprocket...apparently I don't have that one. I am hoping to get the rear tire, sprockets and chain done tomorrow. I got my front tire on and both of Dorito's done tonight. I also got my new waterproof connectors in so I need to get that shitty one the PO put on removed and replaced.

On another note I will be without a GPS for this trip since my Zumo 550 took a dump, so make sure you get the GPX files loaded. I got a lot to to get done this week!
  12. joints4sale

Oddometer:
    It rides great. I haven't gone through a full tank of gas yet, so my range is just a guess at this point. Great idea on the zip ties. I know what you mean about getting stuff done, departure date kinda snuck up on me.
  13. blaster11

Oddometer:
    J4S....give me a call we need to talk logistics.
  14. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Damn.....everything I did on the DRZ seemed to fight me tonight. It started last night with the front sprocket and not having a 30mm socket. I picked that up today and hit it with the impact and off it came. So tonight it was the rear sprocket and one bolt which did not want to come out, rounded the allen head out :cry, but I finally succeeded. Then it was the 606 tire with 2 bead locks and extra heavy duty tubes, damn that was hard. I had hoped to get that done tonight but it just wasn't in the cards so tomorrow it is. Clock is ticking down and I have a metric butt ton of shit to finish up, I am normally packed and ready to roll with only minor adjustments at this point of trip preparations....this sucks!!!! Hopefully tomorrow finish up the front sprocket and fitting the new chain and then to replace the ignition switch and connectors. So maybe if I am lucky I can begin packing out the bike and doing final preparations late tomorrow or Thursday. :clap
  15. blaster11

Oddometer:
    I am feeling a lot better about the trip now. I finished up the chain and sprockets. It goes a lot faster in 1st gear now than it did before now that it has the stock gearing. I got the new ignition switch on and the new connectors added so that the hack job electrical work is now gone, hopefully that gremlin is now behind me. Mounted the SPOT and GPS, the GPS seems to be working normal again...maybe I got some cleaner in it when I was cleaning the screen off and trying to remove some goo that was on it. Starting installing the Wolfman bags, but I may take them back off and ride the bike to work tomorrow to ensure the bike is OK after all the work. Now I just need to get my tools, camping gear, and clothes worked out and go for a test ride fully loaded.
  16. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    The little bike is just about done with packout. I think my Giant Loop lost it's Giantness. I felt like I was in a life raft and I had to make the decision who lives or dies. Alas, this will be the first trip without a laptop in hand :cry
  17. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Rode the DRZ to work today partially loaded and everything seems fine. With the new gearing I can now go 60MPH without the bike screaming its guts out. :D I will finish packing out tonight and then head out tomorrow morning. :clap
  18. EOD3MC

EOD3MC What will break next

Oddometer:
    Thought about bringing the DRZ in today....but I wooosed out...

Heated grips and windshield felt nice with the 45 degree temps :D
  19. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Alright....0800 Dahlgren Wawa tomorrow.
  20. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: