Southern Maryland Adventure Riders

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by EOD3MC, Mar 15, 2012.

1. EOD3MC

EOD3MC What will break next

Oddometer:
    Guessing "fireball" and company made it back OK ?
  2. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    SMAR always puts the AAAAAH! in Adv :lol3
  3. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    :ddog

My version: I've been told a lot of things about my trusty steed, Dorito. Some have said they'd never buy a used bike from me, ironically after they just nose dived, and today I learned it might be quicker to start tracking the parts I haven't replaced!

Nevertheless a few months ago, I bought this swanky brake lever as I have sufficiently ruined the old one through the last 1,000,0001 falls. Also, I have been ever questing to gain my "A", in "GSA" and I thought this would be one step closer.

[​IMG]

It finally arrived from South Africa, and I was giddy with joy. Notice the fold down tip on the nose? I followed the instructions for installation, and I had been riding it around. I wasn't quite happy with the engagement point of the brake as it seemed a bit low. Up on the lift little Dorito went and we took some of the slack out of the engagement. While she was up on the rack, I also added this nice addition (rear brake cover) donated from Lakota's totaled steed (it wouldn't fit his new F700).

[​IMG]

But now I wonder if the rear brake cover might have "evil" from within it. Is this like stealing a ring from a dead person?

Blaster and I arrived at the rendezvous point plenty early. I put the bike on the center stand as usual, but the rear tire felt weird. After Blaster was done fueling I asked him to look at it too. All I got was "another dumb girl question" look. I filled up then found a spot to relax. Since it was cold out still, I left the bike running and the electrics plugged in. About this time, a really well dress man in a Volvo makes a bee line to my all but abandoned part of the lot. He gets out and somewhat startles me. He has something large in his hand, which turns out to be....

....the dreaded Watchtower publication and a bible.

I very politely decline and he nods and departs the parking lot. About that time, Blaster is now sauntering over. I point out the Volvo and tell him story. He gets somewhat concerned that we learned not to "diss" gifts previously, and bad juju ensues.

Exhibit A

Sure enough J4S arrives a few mins later and the story repeats. Having New York City as our final destination, J4S decrees that we should evaluate how we are doing once we get to Philadelphia today.

However, that was not to happen. The best we saw was the Baltimore Skyline. And lots of white smoke. Fortuitously, there was no flame else the rear gas tank bike might have gone up like a Roman Candle on the 4th of July.

[​IMG]

Apparently, the rear brake adjustment was too tight and it has been dragging on the rotor for the last 60 miles. The piston has over pressured and pissed brake fluid all over. Now I've trashed the rotor, the pads and the caliper.

After Blaster douches the caliper with 1 liter of water, we are able to get it unstuck. We take the linkage out of the brake lever and turn off the ABS (linked brakes). I offer to head for home and let them continue. However, J4S won't have any of leaving any man behind. I guess he was afraid I'd get home first and start a post in Jo Momma! :D

We are only 11 miles from Bob's BMW, mind as well and go buy some parts. It needs about north of $750 in parts, and none of which are in stock. We contemplate leaving Dorito at the doctor and heading 2-up to NYC.

[​IMG]

J4S is itching for someone to buy a new bike. He's trying to convince me to trade Dorito in and get a new F700. I think we need more sensitivity training :D

While we are dropping kit on the bikes, a man approaches asking directions to the salvation army which is apparently a bit up the street. Now sensitized to the JuJu factor, J4S all but gives the man $$ and Blaster considers giving him a lift. :freaky

However, we find this little gem right around the corner, which seems to appease the masses. Primo greasy spoon, and we'll be back there again.
    Franks Diner
    7395 Cedar Ave
    Jessup, MD 20794

Right across the street is a high performance racing shop, so the customers are arriving with all kinds of neat rides:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

J4S now decides he needs this "replacement trailer"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We next head off to bury our misery in some shopping. REI it is. After we park in the north 40, Blaster finds his new friend. The guy tells Blaster that his bike had been all the way to Gettysburg. On that VERY bike! :huh

[​IMG]

I guess I shouldn't chuckle as he at least has functional brakes...

We end the RTE with a happy ending. Some cream from Rita's, and a quick detour to Motovation Cycle. On the way back down RT 6, I spy a tall Dual Sport bike a few cars back..

We have found him----BadGuy himself LIVES! :clap
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the detour today, it would have been a fab day to RTE NYC. J4S please do find us a new date for "take 2".
  4. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    Welcome! Poke around and you will find several groups in the area all of which usually have something going on any given weekend. Anything from simple asphalt rides to dirt roads out in Virginia/West Virginia, some camp, some hotel, all seem to have a great time! Maybe we can get together for dinner some night and introduce ourselves....do you like sushi? :evil or :puke1
  5. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Anybody want to get together for Breakfast tomorrow? If we are lucky maybe we can get EOD3MC to show up and give us an after action report on Rawhyde while it's still fresh. Dana says not before 0900 though.
  6. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    Not this Sunday...got a meeting with the Easter Bunny
  7. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I forget that others have family and kids. :lol3
  8. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    You're welcome to borrow them anytime you need you like....
    (Best when you have small slave labor jobs :evil)
  9. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    It's cool too bring him along too. I've got some extra carrots for him and an extra chair.

:freaky
  10. gastone

gastone R.I.P. my little girl Izzy

Oddometer:
    Breakfast where? When? If you're down for a halfway kinda thing...
  11. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    :cry
    Somehow, I don't think this was in the battle plan of action for the days festivities:
    [​IMG]

This brake pad should flatten right out..
    [​IMG]

It wore on a diagonal?
    [​IMG]

The old brake pads compared to center new one:
    [​IMG]

Rotor damage
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And either the new table isn't flat, or the rotor is noticeable warped too
    [​IMG]

Melted and warped the cast Brembo caliper "ears" which hold the pads
    [​IMG]

These shouldn't flare out on the ends:
    [​IMG]

Frag damaged the caliper hanger too
    [​IMG]

The absolutely worse part of this...the smell of burnt brake fluid is god aweful....really you need smell-evision.
  12. blaster11

Oddometer:
    I am open to suggestions. It could be tough to find some place open with the bunny coming and all.
  13. gastone

gastone R.I.P. my little girl Izzy

Oddometer:
    Hmmm....hadn't thought about that.
  14. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    Well it looks like Dana can cook brakes about as well as she cooks eggs...

Would halfway be around Dahlgren?
    I got a 2 hour hall pass for around 10am tomorrow...:D

Sheets and WaWa should be open for breakfast
  15. motomandan

motomandan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen some cooked brakes. Dana is the best brake Chef I have ever seen!
  16. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Yep, some of those parts will be going on the wall of the garage! :D

Looks like the rotor off my failed final drive unit will work as a replacement for Dorito and a guy overseas looks to have the caliper assembly so the cost of repair has come down drastically.
  17. blaster11

Oddometer:
    How about Burger King so we can sit somewhere dry and chat....looks like rain is moving in as well about that time. Dave you can set the final time if still interested.
  18. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    10am @ Dahlgren Burger King :deal
  19. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    If I wasn't so close to the situation, this might actually be footer material...

Anyhow, here's that sleeping bag liner I was talking about. It is the size of Chipolte burrito:

[​IMG]

Thermolite

20. blaster11

Oddometer:
    I will be there.