Southern New Mexico

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by EWCMR2, Feb 7, 2020.

1. EWCMR2

EWCMR2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Moving my kid to Alamogordo, he had to go to work, I went for a ride.
    Headed out towards Cloudcroft on Rt82 without a plan, I turned north on Sheep Hill road to find a short side trail with good views of White sands.
    7EFC9E3C-AF8E-4D63-A2E7-C4BD5DF5CE2B.jpeg

Continuing up the pass towards Cloudcroft I turned south out of Mountain Park, followed small paved road to the “pavement ends” sign. Yay Dirt! Oh wait, snow...
    6A2AC1AA-A59A-444A-8C0C-E3F8D692A40B.jpeg

With the amount of snow at higher elevations I headed across Rt82 to county rd A-060 to go back to Alamogordo. The upper section of this was melting snow and red clay mud. Lower part was paved but twisty. No pictures of mud, I wasn’t going to stop if I didn’t have to! More white sands view with easier to ride on snow.
    upload_2020-2-7_20-22-27.jpeg
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! One of my bucket list items is to do the full CDR that winds through NM. So cool to see the desert in the distance while you're riding in snow; and props for taking on the snow. Having been turned back by deep snow, I know how unfun (lol) it can be.

Great pics, appreciate you posting 'em @EWCMR2 :thumb
  3. EWCMR2

EWCMR2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had to try the snow, no snow in SoCal (without trip to mountains) and I don’t typically travel much in the winter. The paths packed down by 4 wheelers was slick but ride able. When front wheel slid out of path it dropped down 6” into the heavy fluff, which was a nice soft place for a nap!

It was a fun day, I rode on pretty much every imaginable, pavement, dirt, sand, gravel, mud, snow. Keeping bike upright in the slick stuff reminded me of muscles this 50+ hasn’t used in decades.

Side bonus, I stopped at thrift store and snagged three 10mm sockets for $1.50
    liv2day likes this.