Southern Norway

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by rajeshck, Jan 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. rajeshck

rajeshck n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Riders

I am from middile east and its my first time riding in Norway. I am planning to spend 7-10 riding days in southern norway, starting and finishing in Lyngdal ( -:( that's the place eaglerider available for rental). It would be great if someone can advise a beautiful itinerary in which i dont miss scenic routes and must do attractions in southern Norway. I am ok between 7 - 10 riding days and, though i dont know the roads, i can ride 400-500KM A day (i am getting an indian roadmaster). i will land in oslo in the end of May and ride days span from last week of may to first week of june. Please also advise the right gears for May/June norway weather.

Thanks in advance
  2. Don T

Don T Bike Addict

Oddometer:
    Hello,

Here is a suggestion to an itinerary:
    Lysebotn (great road down to the fjord)
    Preikestolen
    Geiranger - follow road 63 through the town, this way you will ride both trollstigen and Ørneveigen.
    The Atlantic Road - I don't find it to be something special, but many dream of riding it.
    Bodø - follow the old coastal road Fv17 to get there.
    Take the ferry across to Lofoten.
    Ride along Lofoten back to the main land and return to Lyngdal.

Here is a map showing what I mean - ignore the routing around Geiranger, it won't follow road 63, as it's closed this time of year (due to snow).

If you run out of time during the trip, you can always turn inland and take the fastest route south.

Bring riding gear that works in all kind of weather. It often rain a lot along the west coast of Norway, and this early in the season you may even encounter snow at altitude.

Note that the only highways in Norway is around and south of Oslo.
    I will recommend that you keep to the speed limits. Fines are high and as a foreigner you have to pay on the spot.

Cheers
    Tonny
    stokerel and rajeshck like this.
  3. rajeshck

rajeshck n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow.. Thank you very much Tonny, let me prepare a plan based on your suggestion and come back. meanwhile do you have any advise for budget accommodation, i found Norway is really expensive for hotels.

4. Don T

Don T Bike Addict

Oddometer:
    Camping or cabins (hytter) on camp sites is the way to go in Norway.
    Be prepared that almost everything is very expensive in Norway - especially food and alcoholic beverage.

Have you booked the motorcycle for the trip? If not, I would go for something better suited for twisty roads than an Indian Roadmaster. The roads in Norway offer some of the best tarmac riding in the world.
  5. ktompkins

ktompkins Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Norway is a huge country! I rode there last summer and it was an absolute wonderful trip. I started in the South of Norway, arriving by ferry, and spent 7-8 days riding. I ride long days and I only went north as far as Seinkjer, a bit north of Trondheim. Before my trip I asked for suggestions as you are doing. Many local people said the south has the best riding. I cannot comment on the north but the south was fabulous and it deserves more than just taking one road and riding north.
    You will get great suggestions here from locals far better that I can offer. As for cost, yes, Norway is expensive but I knew that before I went and I didn't let that deter me from enjoying what a great country it is to ride. I was fortunate to get fantastic weather...I hope you get the same!
    Enjoy!
  6. norseXL

norseXL Northman

Oddometer:
    Starting and ending in Lyngdal with only a bit more than a week, you should realy only aspire to get as north as the Sogne-fjord, maybe Geiranger.
    In this area there is realy no "wrong" roads to take, even the main costal route E39 will leave you satisfied.
    Weather can be everything in May and early June, the passes can snow over or you can have a stop up there in T-shirt weather.
    Some passes, like the old Stryne-fjell road and the road over the mountain to Lærdal will be closed most likely, but there's still little snow in the mountains this year so maybe we can hope for a early opening of the high roads.
  7. Bozze

Bozze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Depending on which roads you take and amount of traffic & ferries etc. the mentioned 400-500 km/day will probably equal least 9-10 hours in the saddle, especially if you want to stop and take photos & enjoy the scenery (and there is a lot of stunning landscape in Norway).

Also good to remember is that Norway is definitely NOT the place to get a speeding ticket: http://www.speedingeurope.com/norway/
  8. itinerant wool stash

itinerant wool stash Inveterate optimist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seconding both the suggestion of the Lysebotn road, as well as getting a smaller/lighter bike: The Indian just is a bit on the heavy and unwieldy side for the small roads you'll be travelling on, and you're not really getting anything out of the bike you wouldn't also get on a more nimble one.

If Fylkesvei 55 (east/west) and 51 (north/south) across Jotunheimen are open they are a good ride as well. Assuming road 53 and Tindevegen (small road running from Ovre Ardal to Fortun; top-notch scenery) is open you can make it a circle itnerary.

There's an opportunity to visit an easily accessible glacier (guided tours across the glacier possible) and ice cave near Gaupne, by heading up the Jostedal valley.

Another suggestion would be to plan an intinerary for a max. of 4-5 hours (approx. 200 to 250 km) per day and spend the rest of the riding day exploring down whatever local roads tickle your fancy.
  9. rajeshck

rajeshck n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you All for pieces of advice and suggestions -
    I am locked with Indian as i have a huge refund to get from them for an earlier trip, which will be expired if we dont use it.
    Based on your inputs, i think i may choose any of these below, the total around 2000KM, so 250-300KMs a day - kindly comment on the itinerary - please suggest budget hytter along the route for 2-3 riders

https://tinyurl.com/y9r4gx36
    Lyngdal, 4580, Norway.
    Setesdal, Norway
    Røldal, 5760, Norway
    Odda Municipality, Norway
    Trollstigen ( i have to find a way from ODDA to TROLLSTIGEN )
    Kårvåg, 6530, Norway ( I am trying to cover Atlanterhavsveien Atlantic Road)
    Bergen, Norway
    Lysebotn, 4127, Norway ( I will try to go Pulpit Rock)
    Lyngdal, 4580, Norway

OR

https://tinyurl.com/ycus7n9k
    Lyngdal, 4580, Norway
    Fv500 18, 4127 Lysebotn, Norway
    Pulpit Rock, 4110 Songesand, Norway
    Geiranger, 6216, Norway
    Kårvåg, 6530, Norway
    Trollstigen, 6300 Åndalsnes, Norway
    Geiranger, 6216, Norway
    Bergen, Norway
    Stavanger, Norway