Southern Utah - "Leave the rain gear at home" Tour

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Bullseye, Oct 2, 2021.

1. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    @aanichols so glad you had that helmet camera to take some of those pics! I definitely earned my ADV handle that day :lol3
    Bullseye likes this.
  2. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
  3. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    I just wish I remembered to use it more...especially the video
    Bullseye likes this.
  4. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    Hey Matt:wave.....we still have a day left to ride out of Escalante but Taylor can get that started. Got back had a beer and got the luggage off.
    20210930_074533.jpg 20210930_074621.jpg
  5. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Thread has some legs today!

Not much to add about getting over Boulder except for Taylor's attempt to hole up somewhere at the top. I noticed him slowing down and looking off the road a whole bunch, and he eventually stopped by a pit toilet. I pulled up and he said he was going to wait there for the weather to pass.

I was already cold and wet, and thought to myself, "I gotta get the f*** off this mountain." Told him I was going to keep going. It got worse before it got better and we eventually caught up to Alan to ride into the sunshine.

At this point, John was a ways behind us. I got a little worried, especially with how nasty the roads were and poor visibility, but ultimately I convinced myself if the three of us got here, his chances were good enough :D

After Boulder, the temps warmed up and the sun sorta stayed out. We stopped for a few pics along the way.
    tempImageLsHv7r.jpg tempImagejnBwEr.jpg tempImagek6oPkU.jpg

We rolled into Escalante and had the most confusing and convoluted check-in process for our cabins you could imagine - seriously, it would take another 3 pages to explain it! I complicated things further by making the mistake of buying a pair of sunglasses that took three transactions to get right.

Anyway, we had our rooms, dumped our crap, took a seat and had a deep breath.
  6. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for adding those pics Alan. When the shit hits the fan, everyone keeps the cameras put away. That helmet cam did the job!
    IMG_1780.1.jpg

We got back into Escalante and crashed out.
    After coming back to life in the afternoon, I unloaded the bike in preparation for a little day-tripping. I couldn't wait to get out on the unburdened bike and have a little fun. I took a rip out Hole-in-the-Rock road and did my best to find some fun obscure side tracks.

Day 4
    This was now a day-ride day. We decided to head up to Barney Top and hike out to Powell Point. The ride up the ridge was easy forest service road... the ride across the ridge was good dirty fun... it had a bit of everything... rocks, roots, mud-holes, a couple of sporty climbs.... but best of all, it had Aspens on full display!
    IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

I did my best to keep up with Alan across the ridge.
    We made it out to the Powell Point trailhead but lost Alan. I knew he couldn't get very far... we were on a narrow mountain top.
    The view from Powell Point is pretty amazing. There was a bit of smoke and haze in the atmosphere from the CA fires.
    IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

Alan met us back at the bikes and we headed back down the way we came.
    IMG_1818.jpg

Then back to Escalante to complete a laid back day with beer and pizza.

Attached Files:

7. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    Great riding all day with weather to match.
    10CPROI210930-095008.JPG 10CPROI210930-100131.JPG

20210930_105705.jpg

Attached Files:

8. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed the ride out to Powell Point....... 10CPROI210930-101148.JPG 10CPROI210930-101211.JPG
  9. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
  10. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    Finally found them.

20210930_123808.jpg 20210930_132546.jpg 20210930_132603.jpg
  11. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
  12. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
  13. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    I like to have an expert riding sweep as then as a group leader you have added confidence that you won’t lose folks along the way.

Things are so different now with affordable comm devices and helmet to helmet comms.

Ride looks awesome and fantastic pics there
    Thanks for sharing
    Bullseye likes this.
  14. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Our problem was the expert was out front ripping it up with a broken GPS and blew past the turn :ricky
    Mr Head, N-Id-Jim and Bullseye like this.
  15. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    I've been known to blow by turn offs with a working GPS.:confused
    Bullseye and AllSeasonRider like this.
  16. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was a little envious... you got to do the ridge trail twice!
  17. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Day ride!!! So nice to get the bikes unloaded. Spent a little time in the morning stripping off luggage, backing off the preload and airing down the tires. The ride up to Powell Point was nice, and riding through the aspens was a treat. I've mostly ridden in the desert and adjacent areas, so this was the first time I recall dealing with roots, but it was dry so no worries. There were a couple tricky, rocky and loose climbs I was nervous about having to go back down, but that was for another time as Taylor, John and I hiked out to the point after losing Alan.
    tempImagezPUBWn.jpg tempImageUCyc8o.jpg tempImageA8Ctfl.jpg tempImagevXP2R3.jpg tempImagezWxyjC.jpg tempImageafGQsq.jpg tempImageO4t4VY.jpg

I was considering taking another route back into town to avoid the tricky descents I was concerned about, but convinced myself I was hyping it up in my head to be worse than it actually was. When we got to the worst of it, that's exactly what I thought - this isn't as bad as I remember on the way up.
    I took my time, but almost near the bottom I lost the front and washed out :muutt it was a stupid crash, jogging pace and I know I've done way harder sh*t before, but I've just been too inside my head on this trip, I guess.

No worries, it didn't really ruin the otherwise excellent day we were having.

Alan took off into town, but I tagged along with John and Taylor to explore some more tracks Taylor had on his map. Everything seemed to cross onto private land or dead end at small camp sites - it was a pretty ride through the woods, but ultimately all roads to nowhere.

We hit up the Mexican food truck in Escalante for a late lunch, stopped for gas so we wouldn't need to the next morning, and did a drive by of the Desert Doctor (Taylor will have to fill you all in on that one), before heading back to the cabins. Met Alan for a quick drink (or two) and some light snacks before calling it an early night. We all said goodbye to Alan as we'd be heading back to Hurricane the next day.

Oh yeah... NO RAIN!!!:jkam
    Mr Head, GringoRider, GSteve and 2 others like this.
  18. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    What a fantastic view...really sorry I didn't hike out there now....next time. Maybe next year we can do Toroweap and the Doll house.
    Bullseye and AllSeasonRider like this.
  19. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    Nice trip so far! When I first went over that Hell's Backbone bridge 20-ish years ago, it was just a little wooden bridge that could barely hold a truck. It's looking pretty fancy now! Powell point is a lovely view point, and you definitely don't want to get caught up there in a storm! Glad you were able to do it in better weather.
    Bullseye likes this.
  20. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Advent-ia before dementia Supporter

Oddometer:
    They have ruined it a bit by making a concrete bridge but Bull Valley gorge on the Skutempah road is well worth the side trip.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.