Southwest by Versys

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by klaviator, May 18, 2015.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My last time out west was over 10 years ago when my wingman Steve (Raptorman) and I spent a week dual sporting around Moab and a few days in New Mexico. We both lived in the Atlanta area back then. Now he lives near Salt Lake City so he rode down today and we will be riding together the next 4 days.

[​IMG]
  2. GREY.HOUND

GREY.HOUND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enoying your report Klaviator. Thanks for stopping to take pics; I just can't seem to stop when I ride.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I didn't used to take very many pictures and now I regret not having more pictures of my past rides. Now I take a lot of pictures. I only post a fraction of the pictures I actually take. Also, I take many of my pictures without stopping.
  4. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The pics are paying off klav,

following you trip is sooooo gooood.
  5. notsofasteddie

notsofasteddie Semi Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    Congrats on making the hike! Great pictures too!

Too bad about the road and trail closures, but you really made the best of it anyway. There's a lot of really beautiful stuff to see all around there.

Enjoy the rest of the trip!

Ed
  6. iDave

iDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good morning Win :wave. Based on your current location, GREAT morning for you and Steve :nod. Thanks for sharing your photos and words. Looking forward to hearing about/seeing the next several days :evil.

:freaky
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Doing this trip s soooooo gooooood:happay

There is so much great stuff around here. I wish I had an exxtra week ......or 10 to see more of it.

***I went back to post # 76 and added more pics.***
  8. complexCarlo

complexCarlo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When planning my trip I knew which spots I wanted to hit in Las Vegas and in Colorado but could only think of a few in Utah. This will help sort that out. Just gotta figure out whats on the way. I will be traveling up through Vegas into the Grand Staircase National Monument and then up to camp in Moab.

Loving those Zion pictures. Absolutely stunning, cant imagine actually being there.
  9. SparkyL

SparkyL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More please! :ear
    Thank you for posting pics and story.
  10. skyguy

skyguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report! I grew up in Tempe, and a much younger version of myself rode a lot of these same roads on a bicycle many years ago. Always meant to get back there on my current two-wheeler.

Keep it coming!
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Steve and I are now in Torrey after a day of absolutely stunning scenery. Again, we took a few bazillion pics. 60% chance of rain today but we managed to avoid it except for when we were inside eating brunch and again at dinner. Now I have to look through all those pics and I'll try to post some later.
  12. kawi_girl

kawi_girl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your trip, what great pictures! That hike looked spectacular.
    I am another one who is interested in your bike, as I have considered a Versys from time to time. I tour on a Ninja 650r and really like it, yet have thought that maybe the seating position on a Versys is a bit more comfortable for long days? Mine is a fairly upright position yet I think the Versys seems even more so.
    You did previously mention that your legs are a bit cramped. How tall are you? I was hoping the opposite would be true.

Enjoy your ride!
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We started out by riding to and then through Zion NP. This is without a doubt one of the most scenic places on Earth. Here are just a few of the pics we took.

[​IMG]

Waiting to go through the tunnel. Ywo way traffic is allowed for cars and motorcycles but for larger vehicles like RVs it's one way only.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a few windows in the tunnel.

[​IMG]

The scenery once through the tunnel is different but still spectacular. I think Steve took even more pics than I did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll add more zion pics later.

Edit: More pics taken by Steve:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We stopped in Carmel Junction and decided to get a second breakfast and some famous HO-made pies.

[​IMG]

No comment on this pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading towards Bryce Canyon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We took a ride into Bryce Canyon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we rode Hwy 12 to Torrey. The stretch from Escalante to Boulder is one of the best roads anywhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    I'm laughing at the bear photobomb! :rofl

16. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm

Oddometer:
    Utah has specacular scenery and some great roads. :thumb

Enjoy your ride and thanks for taking the time posting your ride report. Enjoying every bit of it.
  17. notsofasteddie

notsofasteddie Semi Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    You guys must be living right! Glad you didn't get wet. I was thinking about you when it was dumping rain here in Page earlier today. Looked like a string of thunderstorms was heading north from here in steady flow, basically right into your path.

Great pictures!

I'll bet Boulder Summit was a bit cool today.

Thanks for going to the trouble of posting stuff up while you're traveling.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    There are sooooo many great places to ride in Utah. I could easily spend a few extra weeks here in Southern Utah. You can't go far without coming across a national park, national monument or scenic road.

Thanks for checking in. More coming up.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for checking in. We did see a few bicyclists but not nearly as many as I normally see in the mountains of N. GA and NC.

I'm 6-2 with a 34" inseam. I think the seat to peg distance on the Versys is at least as much as the Ninja 650 however the seat is also taller. I added an Airhawk AND foam pad to give me an additional inch or more. I still plan on getting an aftermarket seat and also some 1" bar risers. The bars would be high enough with the stock seat but are a little low with my raised seating position.

I didn't even notice the bear until you mentioned it:lol3
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Good morning Dave. I'm sure you recognize many of the scenes in my pics. My route was inspired from the route you and your brother took although I will be making a few side trips.

Thanks for checking in. Yes, Utah has unmatched scenery.

It rained while we were eating the HO- MADE pies but cleared by the time we hit the road. We rode on many wet roads. We could hear and see thunderstorms while in Bryce and it dumped big time while we were eating dinner but we really lucked out with the rain. We got the 40% chance of no rain. The forecast is the same for tomorrow. It was cold nearly the entire ride. I really wasn't expecting that.