Southwest by Versys

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by klaviator, May 18, 2015.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have fun on your trip. It would be real hard not to. I hope you take the time to do a report and post a few pics.

I am now back in Alabama and I'm pretty worn out. I'll get to work on filling in more to this report once I find some energy. Till then, thanks to everyone following and responding to this thread.
  2. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm

Oddometer:
    Great Ride Report. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. :clap
  3. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Not sure if you know, but that is Bridal Veil Falls. It's definitely an awesome sight to see. I've been there the last 2 years when I was DS riding in CO.

That road you were going up is basically the backside of Black Bear Pass that drops down into Telluride. The start of it is on Hwy 550 south of Ouray but it's a one way pass into Telluride once you hit the steps. That is an advanced pass for sure, but you can go up that route like you were until you get to the switch back that is level with the top of the falls. At that point it's a one way coming the other direction because of the steps. The switch backs get a bit tighter and steeper as you go up, but overall the road stays fairly modest on the Telluride side, but certainly still challenging on a bike like the Versys. I guess you didn't get to the spot where you are pretty close to the base of the falls or we would have seen that, but you still got to see some great falls and looking back over Telluride.

4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    If I was on my KLR, I would have continued to the Falls but I wasn't about to try it on a heavily loaded Versys. Some day I'd like to head back out there with a smaller Dual Sport bike and ride some of those high passes.
  5. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    It's definitely worth it. Silverton is a great town to base camp out of and puts you right near some of the best riding in the San Juans and of course the Alpine Loop. Or just ride the COBDR on your KLR and experience some of the best CO has to offer.

I've certainly enjoyed your report. :clap
  6. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Just got caught up with your RR. What an epic trip man!! Looking forward to your in depth additions! :clap
  7. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cape Royal is one of the best lookouts, remote and usually no crowds.

klaviator you captured Zion beautifully! It is a fantastic park with so much to offer and so many different ways to view it.

A fantastic report klav, thanks for taking the time putting together!:freaky
  8. VFR

VFR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll second that!!! Always good to see how someone else views the roads you have been on. Great photography!!!

I will be camping up in Ouray next week. Did the Black Canyon a couple of years ago after riding by it many times.

Thanks for the report.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:

Thanks for the replies. Since getting back I have been burned out. While on this trip I did some long days of riding followed by working on this RR. Then the drive back home was pretty grueling. Then, after two weeks of mostly cool weather on this trip, I returned to an Alabama heat wave. It was my intention, after I got back to go back and add some more pics and commentary that I just didn't have time for while on the trip. I didn't want to spend so much time posting that it reduced my actual riding time. I still plan on doing that but just haven't found the energy to do it since I got back.

One thing I can say about this trip is that more than any of my previous long trips, I really put effort into taking a lot of pics. It probably cut into my riding some but in the future when I look back on this trip, I will be glad I did it.
  10. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Klaviator,

I just found this. Now I'm going to have fun looking at all your pics. Glad you had a good ride.

Thanks, RRR. :wave
  11. Chippy369

Chippy369 n00b

Oddometer:
    Great RR. I enjoyed every bit of it... :clap

Thanks for putting in the effort. I'm sure it will inspire plenty of people to do more rides and take more photos. :ricky
  12. nameuhpete

nameuhpete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very Nice report. I hope to ride some of those roads before I'm too old. :-)
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Chippy369 and nameuhpete, thanks for the replies. It's always good to hear from people who enjoy my reports. I still come back and look at this report when I want to relive the memories from this ride. I hope to go back again in the next few years.

I was also planning on adding more pics to this report but it seems that I just never get around to it. Too many things to do and just not enough time.......I guess there are worse problems to have:D
  14. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:

You were standing in North Window! Did you walk a little further for this view of Turret Arch through the Window?

[​IMG]
    alpina and CharlieInStLouis like this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    No I don't think so. I walked to the arch and then to the other. My buddy was waiting so I didn't want to take too long. I'll be sure to do it next time.
    dave6253 likes this.
  16. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    I loved Arches. I did a hike to Broken Arch and while underway this fellow came jogging past at a pretty good clip. I never saw him again. Later back at the parking lot I saw a notice on the message board warning against running in the area because mountain lions would then regard you as prey.....Yikes!!!!
    klaviator likes this.
  17. RJ44

RJ44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed the ride report. Some fantastic roads and scenery.

Rob
    klaviator likes this.