Southwest Dual Sport Riders Club - Phoenix, AZ

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Chick4KLRs, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Netaron

Netaron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Everyone, I just joined the forum in the new member area. Is the info pertaining to this group (email, meeting place etc.) on page 1 still relevant? We just moved back to the Phoenix area.
    Thanks.
    Aron
  2. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover Supporter

Oddometer:
    No meeting no more, guys who started this thread moved out of town, u can always post your upcoming ride/plans to this thread as well (
    N.W. of Phoenix ADV Riders) if u live on the west side of town. Welcome.
    AZ Mark and Netaron like this.
  3. 4serge

4serge +

Oddometer:
    Hello, I just moved to Tempe and looking for riding groups and found this thread so I guess I will post.
    Foiler likes this.
  4. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    can’t help with DS rides but can give you fun road rides!
  5. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    What do you ride and what kind of trails are you looking for?
  6. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    WOW!! what a nostalgic trip down memory lane. Went through some of the old posts from the past of SDR, what a great bunch of folks, some still lurk around here but most have gone with the wind. However, memories of the past still linger-- howz about a few OLD pix to jog the past good times DSCN0083.JPG DSCN0083.JPG DSCN0109.JPG DSCN0098.JPG DSCN0637.JPG DSCN0682.JPG
    Sledred, BIG-E and AZ TOM like this.
  7. 4serge

4serge +

Oddometer:
    Road rides are good too! I ride Honda NC700x.
  8. 4serge

4serge +

Oddometer:
    I ride NC700x. So I am not up for challenging single trails ;)

Pahrum.JPG
    Foiler likes this.
  9. Motorius

Oddometer:
    best closest fun road ride would be US60 to Superior, then 177S to Winkleman. Stop at Maria’s for some carne asada tacos, then to the light. Turn L on 77N. Take that back up to 60W and head back.

you'll pass the big Ray mine in 177S. Be careful of cops from before Kearney to past the field on your left S of there. Also as you get down to Hayden/Winkleman.

On 77N if I see LEO’s they’re usually either by town, or up at the north end south of 60.

when taking 60W be careful of LEO’s in town (Globe/Miami) as well as when you’re higher up creating the hill/mountain.

the good twisters on 177S are after you leave Superior to just past the Ray mine, on 77N they’re all over, and on 60W between Miami & Superior.

you can also do that triangle in reverse and get a whole different experience. Devils Canyon (you’ll know it when you see it) on 60 is a lovely bit of scenery.
    AZbiker and AZ TOM like this.
  10. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    yeah, the N.W of Phx and East of Phx threads are more active.

but i must say EVERYTHING has been very quite locally this year.
    Netaron and radmann10 like this.
  11. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those tires in sandy terrains is a not a good match. Especially on heavy bikes.
    Foiler likes this.
  12. Brain

Brain mr. self destruct

Oddometer:
    How funny. We just sold the Ural three weeks ago. Thinking of selling my CB500X for some thing more dirt worthy again.
  13. 4serge

4serge +

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the route, Motorius! I will check it out!

upload_2020-10-3_0-39-50.png
  14. Motorius

Oddometer:
    hope you try the tacos at Maria’s! BTW, their hot sauce is home made.

Once you’ve done that, if you have a two day span (you could do it in one but that would be a very long day), you want to ride the 191 between Eager & Morenci. You’ll want to do that before it starts getting cold at higher elevation. October is a great time.

my suggested route is 60E to Show Low. From there take the road to Lakeside-Pinetop (260) to Eager. The 260 is MUCH more scenic than the 60 from Show Low to Eagar. Very green and lush compared to most of AZ.

be sure to tank up in Eager as I think there’s only one place for gas before Morenci and it’s still pretty far north. Motels in Eagar are fairly cheap, and the one big Mexican joint in town is busy with good food.

when you get to Morenci you’ll literally drive thru a copper mine. The road on to Safford is still pretty good and may remind you of the lower section of 77N out of Winkelman. Once you get thru Safford it’s just a slog back to Globe.

do be aware of potential gravel in the turns on the 191 as you get to about the 2/3 point headed south. A few of the tighter turns tend to have it.

per Butler Maps the 191 (sometimes referred to as the Devil’s Hwy or the 666) is considered one of the better rides in the US.
    4serge likes this.
  15. Motorius

Oddometer:
    @4serge just a road point here. You’re by the 101 & 202. Taking the 101S to 60E is a few miles shorter but...

1) the 101 seems to attract some major d!cks as traffic builds, while the 60 tends to be a ‘good’ surface with a lot of pavement noice

2) the 202E will be a few miles longer, However, the surface is like a groomed ski run and in excellent shape. The drivers tend to be a bit more sedate as well.

Whether driving or riding I choose the 202 probably 90% of the time.
    4serge likes this.
  16. Netaron

Netaron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    4serge, that looks like the fork at Cline that turns sandy by 4 peaks, been "down" there myself. I'm usually up for an off road ride during the week with my schedule if that works.
  17. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    i would jump off the 260 and take 273/three forks rd to Alpine. gas, food ect in Alpine
  18. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of the past, I just heard from JimJib. He's thinking of putting on a new Burning Liberal Festival, only now calling it Burning Marxist Festival. Anyone who has been to his past BLF parties up in Crown King, knows it's a good time. I'll bug him for more info.

S.C.
    4serge, Foiler and Motorius like this.
  19. Motorius

Oddometer:
    what's that road like? Looking for it on iPhone but don’t really see it.
  20. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    great road, goes past the ski resort and big lake, ect, three forks was dirt until a couple years ago. its a two lane rd that meanders through the mtns past several lakes and the black river confluence. 35 mph speed limit, two thumbs up