Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RedRockRider, Sep 16, 2011.

1. dirtydoug

dirtydoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My dad told me I would have to buy my own bike.... DIDNT WORK ... i got a newspaper route and bought my own Hodaka...
    norton73, AZ Mark, simbaboy and 2 others like this.
  2. Marcus I.

Marcus I. The virtual world can't compete

Oddometer:
    Going to be in So. Utah in early April. Know the best reference site for maps of the fire roads?
    I’m on a big 1190 R.
  3. zoo

zoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey St George guys. 2 of us will be riding into your area on april 10th for 8 days of riding. Planning on coming down from Ely to st george then onto ??? Would like to eventually end up in moab.
    I've seen postings here on roads from Caliente, to st george, any recommendations? Then it sounds like a few good options on a big ride to grand canyon overlook. then we need to move towards moab.
    Can anyone share some recommended travel routes, road names for us. thank you in advance. cheers zoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
  4. ringokelly

ringokelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would say with with the local BLM office, they should have one
  5. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]
    I have been on the dirt road from Caliente to St George with RRR. I followed him and did not pay attention but a fun ride.

Never been to Moab from here though.

The Grand canyon ride has two options North rim via the highway SG to Fredonia then to Jacobs lake and on in. beautiful ride on a street bike. Or there is SG to Toroweap lookout, fun dirt fire roads on a dual sport. That one you leave SG our south on River Road, cross into Arizona and the strip all the way to Mt Trumbell schoolhouse. If you Google map it is pretty straight forward. You can return from Toroweap more east and return into Hilldale/Colorado city, rather than SG, if you are heading to Moab. I think it is dirt roads 5 to the 20 into Hilldale from Toroweap.

Others on here likely know more...
  6. typeamark

typeamark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your riding an Adventure Bike Crazy Jug overlook is awesome but a lot of slap to get there. Lots of dirt and other North Rim overlooks. Dirt to Caliente is fun. Can make a loop out of it and come out in Veyo. But who knows what conditions these roads are with the amount of rain we have had.
  7. zoo

zoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome guys, thanks for getting me started, I will map what you mention. We like mostly dirt roads, backcountry. We now have 3 days of our 8 days covered thanks to you guys, so cheers.
  8. Manywheels

Manywheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been on the dirt road from Caliente to St George with RRR. I followed him and did not pay attention but a fun ride.

Never been to Moab from here though.

The Grand canyon ride has two options North rim via the highway SG to Fredonia then to Jacobs lake and on in. beautiful ride on a street bike. Or there is SG to Toroweap lookout, fun dirt fire roads on a dual sport. That one you leave SG our south on River Road, cross into Arizona and the strip all the way to Mt Trumbell schoolhouse. If you Google map it is pretty straight forward. You can return from Toroweap more east and return into Hilldale/Colorado city, rather than SG, if you are heading to Moab. I think it is dirt roads 5 to the 20 into Hilldale from Toroweap.

Others on here likely know more...[/QUOTE]
    Been thinking about doing the Toroweap trip this weekend if a friend comes over from Apace Jct. What kind of range does a person need to get in and back out?
    Anyone else interested in coming along with us, if this trip happens? We are riding a Versys 300 and Husky 350 so just a leisurely drive, sight seeing.
  9. gpsdualsport

gpsdualsport former mid life crisis motorcycle owner

Oddometer:
    From St. George to the Bar 10 Ranch near the North Rim is just over 90 miles.
    From the Bar 10 to Toroweap is 35 miles.
    Toroweap back to St. George is just over 95 miles taking the Temple Trail. Backtracking through Mt. Turnbull is a bit longer.
  10. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couple of thoughts, Toroweep is not to be missed, camping permit needed (in advance) from BLM office St George, then ride directly south. 15min hike to the rim, really awesome. The Red Clay areas (Mt Trumbull) are pretty slick, if within a week of rain. Like greased shit within 48hrs of rain. (ask how I know) Knobbys only, 50/50 tires not good enough. No water, nor Gas. Try for a 300mi range if possible (250mi. min.) I carried a 10L bag of H2o, plus a 1G Rotopax ea. of H2o & Gas.

YMMV
    Mike B.
    Magus likes this.
  11. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    I hauled a bunch of gas for that long ride...my butt hurt for weeks...It is spectacular though! P1050515.JPG
    P1050553.JPG
  12. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    Well again, I hate to see this thread putter out, so I'll try and keep it going. Lots of riding here the last few weeks, lots of rain and everything is green...beautiful! here is a few pics on my KTM as well as the good ole Kawi 250...
    IMG_3103.JPG
    IMG_3106.JPG
    IMG_3088.JPG
    IMG_3104.JPG
  13. ringokelly

Oddometer:
  14. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ll be riding out there in the dead of summer this year - July/Aug. Is there anywhere that will not be brutally hot?!?
  15. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    Hahaha....Nope....you better plan on starting early and being done by 9am....
    Magus likes this.
  16. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    You should probably re-think your plans and head further north like Montana or Idaho.
  17. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    Indeed, mid day can be outright dangerous if you are out riding and ill prepared
    everready likes this.
  18. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too late. Headed to Palm Springs (to cool off ) from Denver. It’ll be an adventure but I’ll play it safe and start early and bring a lot of water.
  19. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Those pictures of riding right now during the green season are killing me, I too won't be able to get out there to ride until late July. Was hoping to do part of the UTBDR, but will likely be solo unless I can find some fellow riders at that time, I'll adjust my plans accordingly when i get there, want to be safe. I'll be on this loaded with camping gear.

Attached Files:

20. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    What happened to RRR just decided to give up posting these days I really enjoyed his pics and ride reports