Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RedRockRider, Sep 16, 2011.

1. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    @ringokelly - that white & black color scheme is very nice on the KLX! I like it, but I sometimes get tired of Kaw green, and the red seems so Honda.

Did you do a plastics swap?
  2. typeamark

typeamark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0189.jpg
    Going to miss the spring rides as weather just gets better and better here in St George. Broke my distal radius in Echo Canyon, Death Valley on a slow speed bad get off. So keep the shiny side up guys. Out for 8 weeks. Killed my Baja ride as well.
    sealsam, simbaboy and TheAdmiral like this.
  3. ringokelly

ringokelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me too :dunno
  4. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    No they offered white in 2013...I really liked it so I bought it...I really love that bike and think it looks great as you say...
    simbaboy likes this.
  5. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    Oh crap....not good....glad it was not worse...heal up !:-)
    typeamark likes this.
  6. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hey typeamark, when were you in Death Valley ? I just got back 2 days ago. I was there for 17 days. I think I got there on the 24 th of March. I stayed at Panamint springs and when the Rally started on the 28th I got the heeeell out of there and went else where and came back on the 31st when the madness was over with. So sorry to hear about your arm. I had a slight mishap as well but didn't break anything. While I was unloading my Yamaha xt250 from the back of my 4x4 with 11 foot ramps cuzzzz it sits so high off the ground I got my foot caught in one of the rungs of the ramp and fell over on my left side. I managed to get my left arm up soon enough to protect my head from hitting the rocks I landed on but that exposed my forarm, left shoulder, and rib gage which I landed on rather hard jamming my shoulder pretty hard and I think I might have a small crack in a rib or something. And somehow I managed to catch my right foot on something while going off the left side of the bike cuzzz it's all nice and black and blue....hahahha Anyway I ended up doing mostly 4x4 routes and only some easy stuff on the bike. I was going to come over to St. George after Death Valley but that little mishap but the carbosh on riding my bike for a bit .
    Here are a few pics.
    KIMG0543.JPG Somewhere in Phinney Canyon KIMG0541.JPG Gold fish still at China Garden KIMG0764.JPG
    KIMG0849.JPG Dunes along 190 KIMG0874~(1).jpg
    sealsam, WDG and MaNDan like this.
  7. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    Wow, that could have been really bad...those ramps can be dangerous!
  8. typeamark

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that. I rode to Echo from Pahrump and was in my way to Noobs. Came back to St George saw an ortho and then back to Death Valley as a spectator. Came over about a 20 inch ledge, rolled back and grabbed a whiskey throttle and went down. Right now at Docs having them look at cast. Killing me.
  9. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yeah those dang ledge rocks can be a pain in the butt. There are a couple of good ones on the way up to Chloride city as well.
    typeamark likes this.
  10. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Was steered here by another thread, headed to southern Utah this weekend. Originally planned to hit moab, buddies canceled. I'm on a new ktm 500. Done a lot of tuff stuff in moab, lots around that area, Capitol Reef as well. Coming from LA for a few days, week with a small class c motorhome, plated ktm 500 on back. Street an hr or two doesn't bug me, anything to see, do mud free, places to camp, nice scenery? Anything close to Zion, Kanab?

Thanks,

Chuck
  11. typeamark

Oddometer:
    Warner Valley is our back yard. Toroweap is a must. Couple of good maps available from RMATV. Check out Everide YouTube channel to get a taste of Southwest Utah
    elBeardo, DCrider and LVCJT like this.
  12. RMLayman

RMLayman n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm going to be in St. George the weekend of May 17th and possibly again the weekend of May 31st. would be interested in getting together for a ride with someone like yourself who knows the area. I'm an intermediate rider on a WR250R. Any and all of your posts are the type of riding I enjoy. Let me know if your available and interested. Thanks. Russ L.

13. notsofasteddie

notsofasteddie Semi Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    That bandage looks suspiciously like the one I had on my left foot (twice) last fall provided by Dixie Regional Medical Center (two surgeries for ruptured anterior tibial tendon - and my standing on pegs days are probably over and shifting sucks). Heal up fast and better luck returning to riding off road than I've had...(I did get a Honda NC700 X with DCT with my wife's OK out of the deal though)

And I miss RRR's input also!
    typeamark likes this.
  14. typeamark

Oddometer:
    IMG_0276.jpg

Here’s what I got today. Three more weeks of no activity. Coral Desert Orthopedic

But do have 790R on order...so something to look forward to!
    Beemermcr likes this.
  15. amboss87

amboss87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I spent some time in the St. George Area when i was doing voluntary work for the American Conservation Experience arround the year 2010. Great Time, but i can not remember the exact place.

Does somebody know a Park Ranger named Ben Cramer from BLM? He was a fantastic guy to hang out with.
  16. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    LOTS or rain the last few days and man, the desert blooms!! Check out these flowers and the Indian writings I found. Sorry for the blurry picture at the end
    IMG_3250.JPG IMG_3244.JPG
    IMG_3240.JPG
    IMG_3249.JPG
    RideFreak, bomose and econwatch like this.
  17. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    IMG_3246.JPG
    IMG_3248.JPG
    IMG_3240.JPG
    Beemermcr, simbaboy, StG and 8 others like this.
  18. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    After a long Winter hibernation somebody came out to play:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ER70S-2, bomose, WDG and 8 others like this.
  19. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, we dragged him out.

Happy to report RRR is doing just fine and riding a lot. Let's just say he's got a few bikes and they're gettin' some exercise around the western states.

Thank you again friend for playing tour guide, but more importantly, just being there to hang out with Imu & I. It all started with a group ride back in June of '13 with us 3 and @StG(Tae), unfortunately Tae couldn't make this ride but we were thinking of him!

[​IMG]
    slimy, ER70S-2, WDG and 5 others like this.
  20. StG

StG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice to see you guys out riding again:). Sorry I missed it...

RedRockRider and simbaboy like this.