Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RedRockRider, Sep 16, 2011.

1. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tae--we all missed you a lot.
    Imu

you were with us in spirit
    [​IMG]
    sealsam likes this.
  2. ringokelly

ringokelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang, wish I had been invited...I was sitting here all day.....:(
    simbaboy and sealsam like this.
  3. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    No truer statement!
    simbaboy likes this.
  4. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    :baldy:baldy DAMMIT.

Kept telling myself to toss sumptin up on this thread to throw out the invite.

Sorry Kelly, "We'll be back"!!
    simbaboy likes this.
  5. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Remember I had told you about it but it was scheduled for Mother's Day. You had said you couldn't make it.

But when the schedule changed to Tuesday I totally forgot to tell you. Next time friend.

Currently, we are back in Moab. Today we spent all day at Valley Of Gods, Muki Dugway and Monument Valley. Twas another long day.

Imu
    sealsam likes this.
  6. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    Yes I was tied up Mothers Day but free the rest of the week...I really would have loved to join the ride. Oh well.
    simbaboy likes this.
  7. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Question for you local experts, I have a small non-freestanding tent I use when packing and traveling lite here on the east coast, rarely is it a problem to find ground to stake it down, is such a tent a nonstarter in the UT backcountry? As an alternative I'm looking at a few solo freestanding tents on sale at REI right now but would prefer to use my current tent if it will work.

Thanks in advance.
  8. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    Overall I think you would be fine...lots of rocky areas, but you can always find adequate soil. But one comment, why in the world would you support REI when that company supports efforts to shut down the very land we all love riding on and enjoying? REI will never get another nickel from me, nor will Patagonia. Maybe my $$ won't make an impact but I will do what I can to hurt those who want to destroy what I responsibly love to do.

Hope you get out this way...but just buy your tent at Cabelas.:-)
    spacely, Utrider1, bomose and 6 others like this.
  9. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Got it, thanks for the info.
  10. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    There are many places listed in the adv forum to buy great gear from people like us inmates. :-)
    I also think many people don't know what ringokelly has just said. :-)
    bomose, typeamark and simbaboy like this.
  11. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    Thanks for passing the word on...vote with your wallet. There is nothing worse than buying something at REI or Patagonia only to have YOUR money then donated to groups like Southern Utah Wilderness who spend every waking minute trying to lock all of us out of riding and enjoying our public land.

Ok I'll get off the soapbox...I am just passionate about it.
    renogeorge, Utrider1, bomose and 6 others like this.
  12. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Ok 2nd Q for you locals. I know July its HOT HOT HOT, but that's likely the only time I can get to UT this year, if I go it would be my 1st time riding UT and such dry hot conditions, my bro just moved to Washington. I know the dangers, etc., but just how bad an idea is to consider riding for week or so at this time? I've plenty of experience riding east coast hot, 98 and swamp humidity and typically wear 2L hydration pack plus carry another 2L. Looking to do part of the UTBDR, alternativey I could do day rides from my bros place, riding a Husky TE510. Ok so call me crazy but informative input appreciated.
  13. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode in 103* temps in The Maze District for ONE day, I was done. Admittedly, I'm no spring chicken :gerg but it was foolish and dangerous. I don't think you can maintain your hydration for several days. In mesh gear, you'll evaporate water faster than you can drink it. :knary :knary :knary :tb :tb :tb

In the shade at the end of the day (and there is no shade).
    [​IMG]

When I stopped to take this photo the heat engulfed me, I realized my situation and switched to plan B, get the hell out of here.
    [​IMG]

But it sure is pretty and why I was there (duh).
    [​IMG]
    Sledred, Utrider1, TaZ9 and 4 others like this.
  14. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    Sorry to say but I think you'll have a miserable and possible dangerous time going then. The heat is just too much to take.
    DCrider and ER70S-2 like this.
  15. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Well that's basically what I thought but figured worth having others who live there verify. I guess everyone puts their bikes away for the summer until fall or heads north to ride?
    Sidewaysxr likes this.
  16. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm doing the same thing at the end of July out there. Just ride in the am, stay hydrated, lots of breaks. I'm going to keep it close to a base as well.
  17. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually what people in the southwest do is stop riding in the desert in the summer and move to the mountains. There are many mountain ranges interspersed with the desert in NM, AZ, UT, NV, and of course CO. You don't have to go any further north than you would to ride desert just different locales. Once you get above 7-8k ft temps are very reasonable and can be downright cold if you get caught in a thunderstorm.

There are several 10k ft mountain areas in southern Utah specifically. You should do some research on them and modify your plans accordingly. If you are riding point to point you can cross the desert areas on pavement or easy dirt roads where you can keep your speed high enough so the heat is tolerable. Don't try to do the heavy technical trails in >90 degree temps.
    renogeorge, Utrider1, Magus and 2 others like this.
  18. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    Went out this morning to celebrate the 4th and July and our great freedom to enjoy what we love to do! Beautiful day, not too hot this morning and some good solitude to really think about life. Hope you all had a wonderful day and celebrated as well.
    IMG_0256.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0251.JPG
    simbaboy, WDG, Utrider1 and 8 others like this.
  19. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Davethestick likes this.
  20. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    If you make it out here, I am happy to go!
    spacely and simbaboy like this.