Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RedRockRider, Sep 16, 2011.

1. JamesHTrotter

JamesHTrotter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello! This post has been rerouted to a few different threads, @sealsam sent me here...

Having ridden a CRF230L from New York (down to to Saint Augustine, FL, then across) to Utah, I have had the opportunity to live and work in Zion National Park for the last few months. I have to make my way to New York on July 20th and am taking the Saint George Shuttle to Vegas airport. Would be in Saint George around 2pm on the 20th, looking to get the shuttle that evening. Does any one in Saint George have a garage for the CRF for two/three weeks while I am away?
    (Ride report: https://advrider.com/f/threads/cross-country-crf230l.1371217/ )
    Super grateful!
    -JHT
    Sledred likes this.
  2. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    @ringokelly and others:
    I am planning to be in St.G around July 27th, 28th and 29th. Then will head to Moab.
    Two other Buddies may join me for some rides up towards Zion, Kolob, Cedar Breaks, etc.
    I hope you can join.
    Imu
  3. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
    Sounds hot... Bring water.
  4. tuff enuff

tuff enuff Bloke

Oddometer:
    JamesHTrotter: Our garage is full but you can put the mighty 230 in my toy hauler trailer It is parked in our back yard in a safe rural area 8 miles north of St George on Hwy 18.
    Beemermcr and DCrider like this.
  5. ringokelly

ringokelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Imu, just got back in town after being gone for 6 weeks pretty much...so sorry I missed you guys. Hoping the ride was good and safe
    simbaboy likes this.
  6. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just rode some of the Duck Creek OHV and the North Fork County road from Navajo Lake to Zion today - all thanks to this thread - appreciate it Just passing through the area and what a resource.
    RedRockRider and DCrider like this.
  7. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    I apologize as this is not dual sport and a little more hard core but wanted to share my new ride...a KTM 300XC. Incredible bike to ride where I live......
    IMG_0409.JPG
    thumbnail_IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0411.JPG
    thumbnail_IMG_0340.jpg
    WDG, karter18, Bhart89 and 9 others like this.
  8. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sand Hollow is a gem. Have not taken my bike, but have a lot of fun there in my rock buggy.
    sealsam likes this.
  9. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    The info on this thread is a great resource, thanks!. A few weeks back I got my first taste of riding in UT out of St. George, what an awesome place, so different than east coast riding and a large diversity of terrain in a 2hr radius, you guys living out there are fortunate! Given I have no experience riding for days at a time in this remote landscape and everyone kept warning me to carry plenty of water and be fully self-sufficient, I carried a few extra tools and other gear in case the bike broke down in the middle of nowhere and I became vulture bait. First did two day rides in Warner Valley area then to escape the heat I headed north and rode through the Red Cliffs Conservation Area/Dixie NF, then over to Zion area, camped near Duck Creek, then made my way south down to Kanab, then rode further off the beaten path following the GPS Kevin TAT track that goes between Kanab and Paria, camped at BLM White House campground and then headed back to St. G. Can’t wait to get back hopefully this fall or maybe Xmas.
    20190724_151929.jpg KIMG0140.JPG KIMG0222.JPG 20190719_203128.jpg
    Bhart89, spacely and sealsam like this.
  10. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you get up to Kolob Res, Brian Head, Cedar Breaks NM? There is just so much as you can see. Fall will be perfect, winter in the higher elevations will be a No Go.

Don't forget Toroweap and Bar Ten area!

Here's RRR reaction when he finds out you didn't make it to Toroweap,

[​IMG]

Now that you've cut your teeth on the terrific St. Geo area, get yourself a Utah Benchmark map book, The Auto Clubs Indian Country map and a few Butler maps, then go explore!!

Glad you made it out, post up when you're headed back out.
    simbaboy and DCrider like this.
  11. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks Sealsam, several of those places were on my list but I realized I was trying to do too much in a week, especially since I had to first prep and "test ride" a bike I bought only from photos and videos, that took longer than expected so I basically only had 4 days left to ride. Despite the 102-106 heat Toroweap was prime on my list but I failed in my prep research as I thought you could just ride out and camp without a reservation, the St. G shuttle bus driver even said he and his wife did that, found out I as wrong on that, reservations are now required in advance. Despite that, after I figured out I was consistently getting 45-50 mpg so had enough gas capacity (3.5 gal) I planned to ride out/back in a day, but once I got the flat and saw it was due to a gash to the threads I bailed on that plan figuring the road to Toroweap in 104 heat was no place to be stranded solo. So hopefully I'll hit it next trip as the view looks incredible.
    KIMG0262.JPG
  12. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a fun few days!:clap
    DCrider likes this.
  13. Mala Suerte

Mala Suerte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm lat to the party to answer @DCrider but I'll throwout some things I've found helpful for riding in the God awful heat. I try to avoid it but living in the desert makes that a little difficult. I have a rough time with the heat and drinking a ton of water just makes me have to pull over and pee every 20 minutes.

If I know I'm going to be riding in the heat, I'll start taking electrolyte pills a couple days before I go - maybe two pills a day. Then on the days I ride I'll take 3-4 pills a day. I also will end up drinking over a gallon of water. I use a cooling scarf wetted and wrapped around my neck - helps to cool the blood as it flows through your neck. I also bought a long sleeve super lightweight and breathable fishing shirt and wear it under my mesh riding gear. I have found - I should have known this my grandpa did a lot of farming and herding in Southern UT - that with a short sleeve shirt on, I always feel thirsty. Evidently, the wind passing over your bare arms pulls out moisture and dehydrates you. Last handful of high temp rides, I wore the long sleeve shirt and didn't feel that constant dry mouth. I finally realized why my grandpa wore long sleeve shirts in high-temps. I also do as others have mentioned ride before it gets hot and later in the evening when possible.

This thread is awesome. I have done a few trips throughout S. Utah, but nowhere near enough. I now have a lot more ideas for rides.
    DCrider likes this.
  14. DCrider

Oddometer:
    ^^^agree with all the above, used them all plus a cooling vest along with scarf that I rewetted throughout the day by just dumping water on myself, and packets of pedialyte.
  15. DCrider

Oddometer:
    TIRES -- BTW, I am going to need at least a new front tire and maybe rear too to replace the current OEM Heidenau K60 front and rear (50/50 DS tire), not looking to start a big tire debate just some recommendations based on personal riding experience in the conditions of SE UT. The K60s did ok on my ride but the front did not feel real stable in corners at >50 mph on gravel, plus seemed to make lots of vibration on the pavement that transferred straight to the handle bars, which got old fast. On my DRZ400 here on the east coast I like the D606 f/r or D606 front/MT43 trials rear. Maybe best to PM thoughts so to not clutter up this thread, also a Mod can feel free to boot this post to another thread.
  16. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    Took a nice exploring trip into the Arizona desert (across the state line) and although it was hot, (100) it was a great ride. I dumped water on my shirt before I went and then a few times on the road. I never saw another soul in the 3 hours out there....
    thumbnail_IMG_0625.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0627.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0629.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0633.jpg
    simbaboy, MaNDan, Snake Oiler and 3 others like this.
  17. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    thumbnail_IMG_0635.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0637.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0639.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0640.jpg
    Sledred, simbaboy, MaNDan and 7 others like this.
  18. karter18

karter18 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regarding tires, I would search for Joe Motorcross ride reports as he lives in UT and rides all over and I believe they use a trials tire on the fronts that works well on the UT terrain.
    DCrider likes this.
  19. ringokelly

Oddometer:
    D606...I swear by them for what I ride here.....DOT legal, wear good and good off road traction
    simbaboy likes this.
  20. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Thx, and good in sand when aired down, which I assume would be about 10-13psi?