Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RedRockRider, Sep 16, 2011.

1. typeamark

typeamark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was at top of Elbow Canyon Sunday on my 500 EXC and my pal on 1090. We dropped down about a half mile before aborting. Needed too much adrenaline and maybe an ounce or two of stupidity to continue. But certainly was cooler in the AZ mountains than St George.
    N-Id-Jim and jtwest like this.
  2. typeamark

typeamark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys at St George Rocky Mtn ATV have steered me to Mitas Desert. Have hooked up well for me on my 500 EXC in surrounding terrain.
    Snake Oiler and DCrider like this.
  3. dhardison

dhardison n00b

Oddometer:
    My first post on this forum, but I've been lurking for a while..... :wave

I've been enduro/dual sport/dirt riding since I was 6 (now 52), but mainly in the Eastern and Midwestern US. I've always wanted to ride out West so late last year I hatched a plan for my oldest son (23) and I to haul a couple dual sports from Ohio to Utah and spend a week riding/exploring. He just graduated from college in May so it's my graduation present to him (and me too!). The drive is 27 hours both ways but it'll give us some quality time to chat (lol - captive audience)!

I came across this thread while Googling dual sport riding in Utah and I was hooked! I've spent WAY too many hours looking at RRR's maps and laying out rides for our upcoming trip (Sept 14-22, 2019).
    My son has decent experience on ATVs, but not much on bikes and little street time. So, my planned trips have very little time on pavement to get to the trails, but plenty of dirt action.

We're staying in a house in Hurricane (found on AirBNB) and I've laid out a trip for each weekday, plus we're taking a UTV excursion one morning from Kanab to Peek-a-boo Slot Canyon. I've spent WAY too much money on bike upgrades, gear, supplies, bags, etc. but I want to make sure this is a great, trouble-free, safe trip for us both!

Anyway, sorry to drag on, but I'm super excited about our trip. Thanks to everyone that's posted info about the St. George area on this thread!

Dan
    Utrider1, simbaboy, karter18 and 7 others like this.
  4. jtwest

jtwest Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer:
    I like elbow canyon. Its a fun ride.
  5. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    First and foremost, congratulations to you son on the graduation! ...also to you, it's a team effort!

Secondly, send a PM to @RedRockRider, I'm sure he'll share some pointers with ya. If you're lucky enough to meet up with him you'll find him to be one of the most quality dudes you'll ever meet.

I don't want to speak for RRR but he'll most likely tell ya go to Amazon and order the Benchmark Utah, and I'll tell ya to also get Auto Clubs Indian country(I'll mail ya one if you need it, just PM you details).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few quick notes of where I've followed RRR around. Kolob Reservoir and the dirt trail past there to Hwy 14, Yankee Meadows, the Brian Head area, Toroweap overlook, you have to eat pie at the Thunderbird Mt. Carmel Junction, North Rim of Grand Canyon, Bryce & Zion.

On the west side of the I-15, New Harmony & 029 to Pinto Rd which will intersect with Hwy 18(check out the Mountain Meadows Massacre site),Veyo, Gunlock Res., blah blah blah...

Hopefully some of the locals will weigh in and you'll get tons of info here!

Enjoy the west, you'll most likely start searching for your retirement home now. Hopefully you'll chime back in and let us know how it's going!!

:wave RRR.
  6. dhardison

dhardison n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Sam,

Thanks for the reply/info!
    My son is doing great since his graduation and he even has a "big boy" job now! :beer It's definitely a team effort and I still have two more to get through college, so :baldy.

I sent RRR a 'conversation' but never heard anything back (he's probably busy being retired :clap). I'm not sure if on this forum a 'conversation' is the same as a PM however.. In either case I already have the Benchmark atlas and folding map. I also plan on stopping by the
    St George BLM Office for the Arizona Strip Visitor map. Thanks for the Indian country map offer (I'll PM/'converse' you :beer).

I have the following trips planned for the week:

- Hurricane to the Petroglyphs/Dino tracks/glitter mountain
    monday.jpg

- Hurricane to Hurricane Cliffs, Grafton Cemetery, and views of Zion National Park
    tuesday.jpg

- Hurricane to Smith Mesa (Zion Natl Park)
    wednesday.jpg

- Hurricane to Colorado City to GC North Rim/Toroweap
    thursday.jpg

- Hurricane to St. George to Shivwits/Shem/Gunlock/Veyo/West Mtn Peak/Jashua Tree
    friday.jpg

I'll definitely look in to the other areas you mentioned and I'm open to other areas suggested by any locals. It looks to be semi hot that week (low 90s) but no rain in the forecast so far.

Thanks again!
    Dan
    bikerjim2000 and simbaboy like this.
  7. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    Be sure to carry plenty of water.........
    karter18, simbaboy and dhardison like this.
  8. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Sorry to cut to the chase. But are there a location for someone to load a few of the gpx tracks? I started full-time in my toy hauler this year and will be pulling out tomorrow from Pennsylvania to Deming New Mexico. I'm going to meet up with a couple inmates in For a adventure to the North Rim on the 27th. But I'll have plenty of time after that to ride. Really looking forward to exploring the west on a dual sport/dirt bike.

Peace and great job on the thread. Very well put together and I greatly appreciate reading your travels.
  9. dhardison

dhardison n00b

Oddometer:
    Here's a quick synopsis of my recent trip with my oldest son from central Ohio to Hurricane/St. George. Special thanks to @sealsam for his info and mailing me the "Indian Country Guide Map"!

We loaded up everything Friday afternoon hit the road early Saturday morning (9/14/19). The drive was 28 hours and we traveled 13-15 hours each day, making it to Hurricane Sunday afternoon.

Here's a quick pic at one of the rest stops along the way:
    IMG_20190914_131659.jpg

We rented a great house from AirBnB which had a great carport/patio with plenty of room for the bikes/gear. Monday morning we loaded up the bikes and took in the "touristy" Petroglyphs/Dino tracks/Glitter mountain:
    IMG_20190916_085655.jpg

IMG_20190916_102645.jpg

Tuesday morning we drove to Kanab to take part in a UTV adventure to Peek A Boo canyon. Although we were only passengers, the UTVs were tons of fun. Luckily our driver was willing to have more fun in the sand than the others.
    IMG_20190917_095115.jpg
    IMG_20190917_105253.jpg
    Wednesday we mounted the bikes and headed out to do the Zion loop. The views were awesome and we saw lots of wildlife along the way.
    IMG_20190918_102125.jpg

IMG_20190918_104649.jpg
    On the way back from Zion we took a side two lane track that ended up being an awesome multi-mile trail. It was pretty hot that afternoon, so we found some shade under this 'tiny' rock and took a break, had lunch, etc.
    IMG_20190918_133928.jpg
    Thursday was our BIG trip from Colorado City to Toroweap. The previous Tuesday we made a trip to the St. George BLM office. The guy there told us that the road from Colorado City to Toroweap was either very silty/dusty or muddy, depending on the weather. Instead, he recommended that take Mt. Trumbull Rd to Toroweap, which we did, and it turned out to be a great recommendation.

We made our way to Toroweap, then doubled-back and took an excursion to the Mt. Trumbull school house. In total we covered 180 miles that day. Surprisingly we never had to use the fuel from the Rotopak, although we were both on reserve for the last 10-15 miles.
    IMG_20190919_120849.jpg
    Friday we rode to St. George and did the Shivwits/Shem/Gunlock/Veyo/West Mtn Peak/Jashua Tree loop. No pics from that day, but a great time was had by all.

We left early Saturday morning 9/21/19 and made the two-day trip back to Ohio (uneventful thankfully).

All-in-all it was a GREAT week with excellent weather. The riding was great, but the best part was getting to spend quality time with my oldest son.

Attached Files:

10. ct-ktm

ct-ktm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I been going through this thread for a bit, thinking about a mid March early April ride out that way.. Would I be able to hit some good dirt then.?. I know nobody can predict the weather, certainly not the weathermen Hahahaha.
    Utrider1 and Cyclepath like this.
  11. keithmckenney

keithmckenney Adventure riding for fun and adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rockville Maryland and Hollywood Maryland
    IF you have time I would spend the entire week in Moab and do day rides from there.
    I spent two one week adventures in April and May this year and had some of the best riding I've had in seven years of riding including Patagonia, BDRs and Baja. Rent a house just south of town on VRBO and invite friends.
    In April there is great riding below 8000 feet. Moab is at 4300 and a whole lot of riding is between 4300 and 8000 including fins and things, slick rock, chicken corners, Kane creek, gemini bridges, Arches NP, White Rim, and more.
    gpsKevin has 13 tracks/rides from Moab that will provide two weeks of rides there.
    Here are some pictures from the April trip.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/zkVqBBB7TLzeGcAf9
  12. ringokelly

ringokelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report and glad to had a great time....living here I love being able to open the garage and ride thousands of miles to ride.....incredible.....These are all, literally, 5 minutes out of my driveway DSC_0033.JPG
    DSC_0036.JPG
    DSC_0039.JPG
    DSC_0045.JPG
    MaNDan, typeamark, simbaboy and 10 others like this.
  13. keithmckenney

keithmckenney Adventure riding for fun and adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rockville Maryland and Hollywood Maryland
    Oh man, can I park some bikes in your garage and come stay with you for a week at a time, especially when it is cold here on the east coast?
    bikerjim2000 likes this.