Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RedRockRider, Sep 16, 2011.

1. STRich

STRich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @RedRockRider Thanks for all the rides here. We spent the week in St Geo with both big and little bikes. What a great area to explore.
    Thanks!!!!
    Rich
  2. MCJockey

MCJockey n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope it was a Green Mill deep dish or Punch pizza to make it worth a 3000 mile trip! I live in White Bear lake MN and have a home in Ivins near the Red Mountain. I've been doing mostly solo expeditions so the misses bought me a Garmin Explorer to keep tabs on me. Would like to ride with others but the timing hasn't worked out yet. I'll be back down for spring break the week of March 8th.
    DCrider, STRich and Snake Oiler like this.
  3. michaeldualsport

michaeldualsport n00b

Oddometer:
    St. George local here, recently got back into riding. Anyone interested in setting up a group ride/camp from St. George to Whitmore Trailhead, north rim in the next couple weeks?
    Looks to be about 85~miles 1 way, and my wife suggested I look for some folks to ride out with rather than venture this one solo.
    DCrider and Chillis like this.
  4. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Heading to St. G Apr 10 for a week, if I can break away from family activities for a day I'd be up for a ride later in the week assuming I get needed maintenance done on my bike.
  5. michaeldualsport

michaeldualsport n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome, I'm taking vacation that week as well (11th-17th) for some friends coming down from SLC at the end of that week.
    I'd be happy to lend a hand on any maintenance from my limited brain, but probably more importantly have tools as well if you're in a pinch.
    Either way it'd be great to get some miles in, just know if you need someone to roost with, I'm probably not your guy. Got a big ol heavy KLR that I'm still getting used to having wheels back under me. Sure does feel different than my old XR from my younger riding days. :D
    DCrider likes this.
  6. Mala Suerte

Mala Suerte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KLR will definitely feel much different from the XR. KLR is big, heavy, mediocre suspension, and under powered. XRs generally have better suspension and more power. I’d take the KLR for longer on road slogs with some dirt thrown in. If your just hitting the pavement to connect off-road trails, then the XR is phenomenal.

Welcome back to riding. I rode dirt bikes in high school, then took 25 years off before I started riding again - I also bought a KLR to get back into riding.
    michaeldualsport likes this.
  7. DCrider

Oddometer:
    My back to dirt bike 11 yrs ago was also the trusty KLR, was also my gateway drug to ADV :DMoved on to a DRZ400S and a Husky TE510 the later which I keep in St. George at my bros house.
    michaeldualsport and Snake Oiler like this.
  8. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Now in St. George, actually Washington at my bros, any locals up for showing a visitor some local riding, maybe Wed or Thurs? Shoot me a PM.
    Erik
  9. DCrider

Oddometer:
    So wondering if UT is trying to send me a message, two trips to UT and two flats, plus todays was on a brand new Shinko fatty and hd tube! Back home I think I got like 3 flats in 5 years and like 10,000 miles of dirt. Still great ride today in Warner Valley with my bro and my daughter in his razor.

Attached Files:

michaeldualsport and Chillis like this.
  10. mostly harmless

mostly harmless Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Flat's are bummer, i've yet to tangle with a flat on the road, guess i haven't been riding nearly enough!
    chardog1971 and DCrider like this.
  11. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    They are calling them Mousse
    AZ TOM likes this.
  12. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I run tubliss now, but giving mousse a try soon. I have them here with new shoes so maybe next week after this weekend ride
    Chillis likes this.
  13. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Can anyone recommend a bike shop in St. George/Hurricane area to do some work on my Husky TE510? As a non-local I have no clue who might be good, but if it's anything like here in the DC area that's hard to find.
  14. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Rocky Mt ATV/Motorcycle is a decent shop, and a KTM/Husky dealer as well as other brands. I was pleased with their service quality and overall prices when I lived in St George. I never tried the shops in Hurricane, so can't offer any input there.
    Utrider1, BillUA, DCrider and 2 others like this.
  15. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, when visiting my brother in St. George RMATV/MC is where I've been buying parts, I'll probably give them a try.
    Chillis likes this.
  16. ElMachino

ElMachino n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi fellas, longtime lurker and avid dirt/DS/ADV rider interested for direction toward some good spots to ride in the St. George area. I’m here for a few days and looking for a day or half day ride while I sneak away from the fam. I’m traveling cross country with the family and brought a 500EXC built up as a rally/light ADV bike. Before getting to UT I did the AZ BDR and some remote stuff in NV. UT now for a few days, then on to CO. I’d be grateful for any direction toward good dirt, two track, single track, etc. in the area. Looking for minimal pavement to not blow up the 500! Thanks.
  17. JamesHTrotter

JamesHTrotter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm over in that area.... PM me your number, ill set you up with a nice, scenic, half day loop!
  18. JamesHTrotter

JamesHTrotter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone in the Saint George area able to help me sync carbs on an sl175? Its one thing I've never done before. Could use some help. The bike is actually up in Springdale. Will happily buy you dinner in exchange for a hands on lesson on the process.