Southwest WI cafes, road food (Waypoints no track)

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by sideshow, Jun 7, 2011.

1. sideshow

sideshow debaser

Oddometer:
    I've ridden many enjoyable street miles in the corner of Wisconsin known for its rolling hills. Over the years I've compiled a lot of places to eat that have a much greater atmosphere than your typical fast food joint. So I've collected most of the thoughts and figured they might be useful for others riding the area.

Primarily I wanted to make a purely mom-n-pop downtown cafe collection but the selection is limited. I added a few other interesting places -- some taverns, breweries, and great ice cream stops.

While I'd happily eat at any of these establishments, personally, I'll add the disclaimer. Some of these stops are really modern, kept up, clean, and refined but I should note that I'm a huge fan of greasy spoons and old drive-ins. While the listed General Store and Cafe in Spring Green has an exquisite menu for vegetarians, you would be hard pressed to find something remotely as healthy among the deep fried menu at Burton Tavern.

Have fun!

Attached Files:

2. sideshow

sideshow debaser

Oddometer:
    For some help in choosing a destination, I'll post up some pics as I get around to them over the summer and add new places as I go.

Unique Cafe
    1100 Wisconsin Avenue
    Boscobel, WI 53805-1635
    (608) 375-4465

The Unique is a long-running cafe that never lost it's downtown cafe style. The building was originally a bank started in the 1860s and the Unique, which started in a building down the street, moved into the place in 1983. The walls are decorated with a pretty massive collection of railroad, gasoline, and agricultural memorabilia among other things. Usually packed on weekend mornings, I've never had to wait for a spot. The large booths under the front main windows are always fun to get when you're riding with more than a few friends.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Shed
    123 North Lexington Street
    Spring Green, WI 53588-8009
    (608) 588-9049
    http://www.shedspringgreen.com/

The Shed is a classic dining room attached to a bar, which is nice for variety of atmosphere. Don't think they do breakfast, but the lunch and dinner have more than a few nice Wisconsin bar food options (see the website). And they serve homemade pie. :evil

[​IMG]

Garden Street Cafe
    103 North Garden Street
    Ontario, WI 54651-6533
    (608) 337-4211

Just outside of Wildcat State Park, a cafe just as good as the roads around it. They have some creative breakfast choices such as "The Birds Nest" -- two eggs covered in cheese all rested in a haystack of hashbrowns. Yes, please! Laptop-toting riders might want note the window sign -- wifi in this part of the state is unexpected.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also relatively close to Wildcat:

Blue Goose Pizza and Ice Cream Parlor
    24 Valley Road
    La Farge, WI 54639
    (608) 625-4335
    www.bluegoosepizza.com

Neat converted barn on a very scenic backroad in some of the best street riding in the state. Stop for ice cream or some homemade specialty pizzas. Hang in the barn or on the front patio. Very neat and different kind of place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vintage Parlor right inside
    [​IMG]

River's Edge
    10 South Front Street
    Lansing, IA 52151-7726
    (563) 538-4497

The interesting part of River's Edge is eating in the dining room, which is over the water. A nice view of the bridge in Lansing, (which is also fun to take a motorcycle over!).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grandma's Kitchen
    503 Main Street
    Highland, WI 53543-9779
    (608) 929-7482

Classic Cafe complete with pie. Down home smalltown WI food as it should be.
    [​IMG]

Sunday rider's warning!!
    [​IMG]
  3. Savoir-Faire

Savoir-Faire Powered by Hate

Oddometer:
    The Shed is fantastic. They do do breakfast on the weekends and are WAY better than the crunchy place down the street, the General Store.

Saturday nights at the Shed: 2 orders of Queen Prime Rib (huge; if you get the king, you're a monster) including soup, salad, potato, a couple local microbrews, two slices of pie -- the best coconut cream pie I have ever had -- and I'm fairly sure our bill was under $40.00.

I'll have to add to this thread. I love the Driftless area and am seriously considering moving to Madison, New Glarus or Mt. Horeb.
  4. dajuice

dajuice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh the pounds that could be gained by incorporating these into a road rally!:dg