spare parts prices for a Caterpillar backhoe

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Hoss Cartright, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Hoss Cartright

Hoss Cartright Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My friend on the island of Kauai asked me to score this little hydraulic system plug kit for him as they are much cheaper on the mainland.. ($340.00 in the Islands) This blocks the service access hole for a spring and ball pressure valve. It is a common failure as when moisture accumulates in the hydraulic oil, this plug rusts out.
    I sent it to him in priority mail. The dealer in Lebanon Indiana has more than 100 of them in stock.

NOTE: He scoured the web looking for a deal on this and he insisted that this Indiana dealer was the best price.. I'm not posting this to start a debate on where he could have gotten it cheaper. He asked me to score this for him, this is what we did. He has his backhoe fixed, end of story.
    From my perspective, this is the most ridiculous thing I have seen outside of the typical aerospace, military and medical spare parts horror stories. For that kind of money it should be made of titanium. AND then it would not be rusting out!

plug3.jpg

plug2.jpg

plug5.jpg

plug4.jpg
  2. Bounder

Bounder ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer:
    Surely stainless would be a better and cheaper bet?
    I bet a machine shop could knock one up for less than that out of 316.
  3. Hoss Cartright

Oddometer:
    I asked him the exact question. He asked me to buy this part, I bought it and sent it to him. My wife drove down there and picked it up. The parts guy told her that he was ashamed by the price. Said they sell them all over the country for this discounted price of $260.00. Hence their high level of stock.
  4. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    That's why I own John Deere and Kubota. lol
  5. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    My dad just paid $32 for a fan belt for his JD backhoe at the dealer for a $7 belt. :bluduh

Think I'll go to NAPA for a belt for my IH Case backhoe. :nod
    jonnyc21 and Boom Boom like this.
  6. Boom Boom

Boom Boom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Odds are the part is not CAT but a Hyd supplier that CAT used. Does not surprise me at all. Our rock drills have a common piece of spring steel in the control lever that wears out often. Last one purchased was $85 for $.10 of material. Assumed it was Atlas Copco just normal stupid high prices so went direct to Parker that made the assembly...$10 less than Copco.... Very common in large equipment.
  7. Nodabs

Nodabs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Uhh, I kind of, might of, maybe, work for Cat. The only thing I can say in defence is that the independent dealers set the prices.
    But in saying that, I'm also hanging my head low.
    This is all part of the Seed, Grow, Harvest business plan. Where the out of warranty parts business is looked on as a profit stream equal or even more profitable than the original sale.
  8. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    He should get a quote for what a " certified service tech" ie Cat mechanic would charge to come out and install that for him. :pep

That has to be available at a local hydraulic shop or even someone like Northern Hydraulics. Hell, have a hose shop make a 6" hose with a cap. :dunno, just thinking too much this morning..................
  9. Hoss Cartright

Oddometer:
    I think there is a spring that goes into that open end to load the check ball? That is why it is made that way.
    I had the same arguments, he listened, then he said; "Are you going to help me get this part or not?"
    I bought it and sent it to him.

From 1999, the $15.00 flat washer that secures the blade under my John Deere mower deck.
    JohnDeereWasher.JPG
    Brewtus and Gordy like this.
  10. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I just bought an air filter element for my Polaris Ranger today. It was $45, I thought that was kind of steep.
  11. Bounder

Bounder ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer:
    His money his choice I guess.
    I wouldn't pay that for a bung but lots of guys will seemingly.
  12. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    My 2005 Case 580M is now needing cylinder seals replaced. Also, the Iveco injector pump or maybe injectors are in need? When I load beyond a certain amount and rpm the engine cuts out. It's also been running weaker.

The cylinder seals I get and can do. The other stuff is eliciting dread. I find too little good info on heavy equipment comes back on web searches.

Ridiculous prices create opportunities for The Borg takeovers of markets.
    jonnyc21, Norman Foley and Brewtus like this.
  14. Greebe

Greebe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess I should start making aftermarket parts for heavy equipment. That plug would only take a few minutes on my CNC lathe. Granted there is writing the program and machine setup, but at that price it might be worth it for something that has all of about 10 cents worth of material in it.
    Brewtus, jonnyc21 and 2whlrcr like this.
  15. Cascao

Cascao Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ....and then they blame people for choosing chinese....
    motobene likes this.
  16. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Well, I did install a $7 belt on my IH Case backhoe on Sunday that said "Made in USA" on the wrapper.

Probably the wrapper was made in the USA, I'll admit I didn't look on the belt itself....:rolleyes
    Yinzer Moto, 2whlrcr and jonnyc21 like this.
  17. MT 007

MT 007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a friend in high school who's dad worked in construction and needed Teflon washers the going price was like $2 so he made punch and got sheets of Teflon and made them for about $.25 a piece and could punch them out as fast as he could swing a hammer - he made a fortune selling them to his dad - He also went on to be a very successful businessman - funny how overpriced stuff can be a great opportunity if you have the time to dedicate to figuring out a solution.
    motobene, Cascao, jonnyc21 and 3 others like this.