Spares and Tools, what have you USED?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Mar 13, 2008.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Based on This Thread I was wondering what you have used, versus what you cary on trips?

For example, I cary a lot of tools, and many bits and pieces like nuts, bolts, tie straps, wire, wire connectors, fuel hose, clamps and all kinds of items.

I have maybe used a couple zip ties, and some duct tape, but nothing else on all my trips, for myself, though much more for others.

Those of you who travel a lot, how much of your "spares", and tools, have you actually used during your travels?

Seems we spend a lot of prep time, and buy a lot of spares and cary a lot of tools, but what do we actually use?

Jim :brow

PS Yes, I know, if you have it you wont need it, so you have it!:deal :D
  2. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    JVB, I've seen your tool roll you bring with you every ride. There is definitely a bit of weight there!

Frankly, In 4 years of Baja trips on some truly awful roads, all we have needed, is zip ties, duct tape, flat tire repair tools, tubes, and a large rock to use as a hammer, or hold a wheel off the ground.
  3. TopJeff

TopJeff Patriot Guard Rider!

Oddometer:
    We treat this with the Boy Scout mentality "Always be prepared"

I've carried allot of extra weight in tubes/bags/containers of all sorts!

The most commonly used have been tire irons/core extractor/duct tape/safety wire/duct tape/screwdrivers/allen wrenches and JB weld!
  4. 2much2do

2much2do Motorpsychlist

Oddometer:
    -I have used zip ties to hold my skid plate on after shearing 3 of the 4 mounting bolts. Wire would have been better. I carry that and skid plate mounts now.
    -I used some duct tape on another guy's hand guard. He broke the little sacrificial piece. I carry spares of those, too (but he opted for the duct tape instead :dunno).
    -I have used the torx wrenches that fit the bar end screw, front turn signal screw, and rear wheel.
    -I also had cause to use the 17mm wrench that fits the mirror mount nuts, and the wrenches that fit the Vario side bag mushroom bolts (needed adjusting after a couple thousand miles).
    -The only other thing I remember using was some electrical wire, on a previous bike. The side stand switch went bad, and I used the wire to bypass it at the connector. I would think a multimeter, some wire and a little knowledge would go far in getting out of a tight spot as our bikes get more electronically controlled (possessed).

-Wes</snip>
  5. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
  6. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    I use to only carry the stock tool kit and flat repair kit.
    Then started going on more trips with greater mileage, so I packed a lot more tools! I don't know how to use them all and how to fix the bike for certain issues, but my logic is, if I have them and break down and someone is willing to help me they might know more then me and having the right tools will only help!

Althought my wallet and credit card are my main tools. NO Fuel! HOLD ON, RELAX. I got this one! :lol3
  7. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Reposted from the other thread:

8. 2much2do

2much2do Motorpsychlist

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... Maybe I remembered the size wrong. I just remember taking that (whatever size the mirror nuts are) wrench out of my kit because I didn't think I needed it for anything. And then I "found out" that it was needed for the mirror. Guess I should have just said whatever is needed for the mirror nuts.

-Wes
  9. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    No, No Wes...I am the one with the foggy memory...perhaps I am wrong..incidently I am shopping for folding mirrors with 10 mm stems to replace my stock ones...
  10. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Spare PIAA bulb- tucked inside the roll of duct tape
    spare head light bulb- in a tupperware container with the rest of the bulbs
    spare tail light bulb- replaced in Austin, Texas, then again in Laredo, Texas, then again in Tampico, Mexico, then again in Brownsville, Texas, with the correct size because the one I had along were a little too big so they were burning themselves out.
    spare blinker bulbs
    spare speedo bulb
    spare fuses

I forgot to mention that I used the grease to seal the air filter. I've destroyed air filters. I'm using an oilable air filter now. I have to carry extra air-filter oil.

I carry an extra quart of oil. Good stuff. I always carried it on the outside of everything. Every once in a while I'd need to add a little- sometimes not for thousands of miles, sometimes every tank of gas. I got lazy and started to carry it in a pannier. It exploded in Nicaragua. I don't mean combustion, just, somehow, oil everywhere. From now on the oil stays outside of everything. If anyone wants to steal it... it's just a quart of oil.
  11. GSWayne

GSWayne Old Guy nOOb Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have used jumper cables a couple of times, and some JB weld and a zip tie to mix and apply it to fix a broken earring:D

My on the road problems include an engine that briefly siezed up and scored a cylinder, but restarted after a few minutes of cooling, the traditional transmission oil leaks, and a clutch lever touching the handguard that convinced me my clutch was bad for a few hours, but none of these required tools or spares. I rode home about 1500 miles with the leaking transmission without it causing any problems. I rode with the damaged engine for several hundred miles so it didn't strand me either.

I still carry all this junk though just in case:
    [​IMG]
  12. jigdog

jigdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I carried the bikes tool kit and a couple of large visegrips, a roll of duct tape, and some coathangers cut up in two foot lenths. Plug kit, a can of fix a flat (to inflate tires and stop plugs from leaking) and a 12v air compressor. A VOM. A 90 degree air chuck to fit gas station air pumps. Now I found a 90 degree valve stem adapter does the same thing. Maybe an oil filter if the trip was over 6000 miles. I made sure all the big nuts and bolts (axle nuts, shock bolts) were good and loose so they came off easily if need be. (nothing will ruin your day faster than a bolt you cant unscrew when you have to) You can buy whatever else you need. I would send tires to friends/relatives houses on the way.
    In a hundred thousand miles of trips the only thing that went wrong (aside from flats) was a side stand switch and a bad tank of gas. This was on an R90/6 and an ST1100.
  13. jpalamar

jpalamar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Likely we who are answering this question are telling a lot about ourselves, perhaps more than we should.:D

Even for a day trip, get this, I throw in at least one of my MSR 33-oz fuel cells (with Stabil, changed every 3-months of course).

I should be visiting a shrink (as perhaps more of us should :D ) with regards to the preparation and junk I take. How many people take a bulb siphon? Hey, why do I need that MSR fuel cell??? Any crazies own an Iridium satellite phone?

And remember the creed of the truly prepared: "If it's important enough to own one, then you should own two!":clap
  14. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Just for reference, this is the tool kit that is always in my bike. No change for long trips.

[​IMG]

Sad really.

15. Steady

Steady Flogster

Oddometer:
    Jim, if I lived close to you I would just invite you on every ride, if you don't have it, you ain't gonna need it.:D
  16. jpalamar

jpalamar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of a Mormon guy I knew in Omaha who chastised me for not having a year's worth of stuff in my basement (I may have the one year incorrect) as he showed me his basement filled with 'stuff'. I told him I had a S & W Mod 66 (handgun) and he asked me how that was going to help. I told him "I know where a Mormon lives!".
  17. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I know, my friends never cary tools, just a cell phone with my number on speed dial!:uhoh :lol3

18. jigdog

jigdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to carry stuff like that in my car (well, it was always a $500 car) until I realized I never used it. If the vehicle is in good repair it isnt going to cause any trouble. (usually) And if it does someone will help.
  19. Steptoe

Steptoe steptoe

Oddometer:
    On long trips as well as the usual things for my 1150, i also carry a final drive output bearing and seal, a clutch slave cylinder, hall sensor unit and a TPS .

Only needed an alternator belt, not for my bike, but another bike on the trip.
  20. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    I have used everything I carry.

I put my tool kit together by working on the bike. Every tool that I need to do any form of service is in my kit. My kit comes in at under 10lbs. The only spares I carry are things that have failed on me in the past. That list is very,very short. I dont buy into the paranoid hype :D that some around here have of FD's failing, antenna rings failing, fuel pump control modules failing. I know from experience that these failures are very rare. The only way I would ever consider carrying any of those items is if I was riding somewhere that does not have next day air service or if I had experienced one of those failures in the past myself.:D