Special batch of Rade Garage Underseat Tank for the Super Enduro

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by -DeMoN-, Apr 9, 2016.

?

would you purchase a Rade Garage underseat fuel tank for the 950 Super Enduro $400us?

1. Yes

79.4%
  2. No

20.6%
  1. genuflector

genuflector I want to cross that

Oddometer:
    Hi Rade, any update for the SE tank? I'm up for one.
    Cheers
    Paddy O'Doolin and Chuckracer like this.
  2. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    2 1/2 months and no Rade, Is the project dead?
  3. DistortedAxis

DistortedAxis GO

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind the the original 950 ADV under seat option took quite a bit of time to become available for order.

Having one installed on my Adventure, I still on the optimistic side and hopeful that Rade will come through on this for the SE.
    :thumb
  4. genuflector

genuflector I want to cross that

Oddometer:
    I'd like to be as optimistic as you but this bike hasn't been produced since a while now. I'd love to see this project happen but I can't blame Rade if he has other more commercial priorities. HOPE
  5. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Almost ran out of gas again yesterday on my SMR...120 miles, which was coaxing it. Got thinking about how much I would like one of these... :-)
    DistortedAxis likes this.
  6. Chuckracer

Oddometer:
    Straightened out my jetting. She runs like a beast now but 93 miles to the reserve light is kind of a pain.
    max5899 likes this.
  7. DistortedAxis

DistortedAxis GO

Oddometer:
    Any extra fuel is better than no fuel!
  8. FriedDuck

FriedDuck Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer:
    Still interested here, but I understand that these things take time. It'd be awesome to be able to just get lost now and again and not worry about getting out of the woods!
  9. Chuckracer

Oddometer:
    Mr Rade, Sir...how's it coming along?
  10. -DeMoN-

-DeMoN- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ALL !!! RADE IS BUSY BUSY BUSY

BUT THERE IS STILL PROGRESS WITH THE SUPER ENDURO GAS TANK.

HERE IS THE LATEST UPDATE FROM RADE.

Hi Demon,

sorry, because of the Hellas Rally we put the project aside :-( The current status is following:
    - we have prototype from styroform that fits there including the battery and the rest of electric stuff that are below the seat
    - the front holder is solved
    - the tail taidy is aslo solved and works with OEM rear light
    - there is also space if someone has reinforced the "U-shape" end of the frame
    - such tank still has volume something between 5 to 5,5 liter of gas
    - but is missing the rear tank holder - it needs to be designed and tested - there are not many options

The biggest trouble now is: The tank has in some places has only 15mm gap from the OEM exhaust, that used to be VERY HOT!!! For me there is NO GO for the tank with OEM EXHAUSTS because of SECURITY!!!

And now the biggest question is, if it make sense to finish the project, if we know that the tank cannot be used with OEM exhausts??? Yes, people in forum will say: "everyone changed the exhausts anyway", but this "everyone..." might represent 30-50% of owners and than I might have trouble with the return of the investment.

SO WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK?
    Input, concerns, ideas?
    MultiDoc likes this.
  11. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think everybody how is willing to pay money to get this extra 5L of fuel should also invest in a different exhaust or take out the catalytic converters.
    -DeMoN- and MultiDoc like this.
  12. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can anybody confirm CC removal brings the exhaust temps below the threshold of 'dangerous'?
  13. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I doubt anyone can actually claim that but most would agree that the exhausts run cooler without CCs...

Don't forget as well that it's not just the actual mufflers that are of concern; it's also the mid-pipe and how close that will come to his proposed tank...
  14. FriedDuck

Oddometer:
    The 690 exhaust, with a cat, is awfully close to the plastic tank on that bike, and gets by just fine. I actually scorched my original tank when the @(#$*@% dealer didn't torque the bolt holding the can on well enough, and it rotated too close to the tank. It was nearly touching (maybe actually touching--can't remember) and still didn't burn through, and was serviceable for years.

I say let's re-do the poll at the beginning to figure out what the audience is, first, and second couldn't we just apply some adhesive foil just like on the tail of the SE stock from the factory? Gotta be some data on whether or not that'll fully address the issues.
  15. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know if a factory tank is thicker than this project or made from more resistant material, but typically aftermarket solutions are thinner. Maybe someone has a Rade on their Adv and a 690 to compare. 1/2" isn't much clearance and some SEs don't blast down the road where there's lots of air movement, they do 1st and 2nd gear work in Desert environments. Heat will be an issue if clearances are too close, if anything, boiling of fuel.... under your butt. Something I'd consider. Still hopeful this project goes to fruition and any heat issues mitigated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. FriedDuck

Oddometer:
    @-DeMoN- Is there any chance you could change the opening poll on this thread to ask if ppl have aftermarket cans or not? Just thinking out loud to get an answer for Rade.
  17. SE Steve

SE Steve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks interesting!
  18. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @rade @-DeMoN-

15mm is not a small distance. Make no mistake, the temperature from the exhaust drops dramatically in the presence of air.
    PA6 is the material of the 701 rear tank and the exhaust with the catalytic converter sits closer to that. I dunno the details in Rade's materials, but if the tank is thicker in that area and if a triple layer thermal shield is used, then he can measure the temperatures in the prototype. The tanks are very difficult to 'melt' , we have lots of data from the 701RR project regarding this matter. What I can say is the following. Our header is 20mm from the tank. The tank is made out of XLPE and the temperature at that point never exceeds 45-50degrees, standing still, on a very hot day for 30 minutes with the rad fan on. Imagine that when the rad fan gets on, the air temp that pulls out of the radiator and hits these tanks, either in the OEM rally factory bike or in any conversion that uses those tanks, is close to 100C. All measured using both digital and analog probes. Worst comes to worst you can sandwich the triple layer thermal shields and in between, you can even sandwich exhaust wrap and call it a day.
    If it was up to me, I'd judge what would happen in a crash. If the exhaust may touch the tank, then you are screwed. But if there is a barrier then you'd be ok. One of the reasons that 701/690 have rubber mounts on the end can support. Crash and nothing bends forever. You can pull it back if need be, but usually, it returns by itself.

I am not following this thread closely, so if anybody needs more info please do pm, but Rade was really kind to allow us to check the 690/701 tanks on my 701RR to be able to add more fuel to that kit. If the material/thickness is the same, we can run some tests on it and report back to @rade.

D.
    -DeMoN-, oldfuddy, MultiDoc and 2 others like this.
  19. lmiles69

lmiles69 n00b

Oddometer:
    My 2 cents, what if you make a tank that requires the 2 into 1 exhaust conversion???? That way you have left side for fuel as well as under the seat and the cats are gone! That would allow a significantly larger fuel load and lower temps!! And yes I already have that conversation on my SE.
    Off Road Ryder and Drzzr1 like this.
  20. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think the original premise was for folks that wanted to keep 2-2 and not use a rotopax or similar. There was/is 2-1 options, nothing for 2-2. That said, I like where you are going if not for this project, maybe another as that would be a boat-load of fuel. Key would be a secure left side mount (if plastic) that can withstand how some folks ride their SEs off road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk