Special batch of Rade Garage Underseat Tank for the Super Enduro

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by -DeMoN-, Apr 9, 2016.

?

would you purchase a Rade Garage underseat fuel tank for the 950 Super Enduro $400us?

1. Yes

78.8%
  2. No

21.2%
  1. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    The powercell plus rade would be perfect for me. That would give me right under 200 miles at race pace or quite a bit over that at touring pace.

Plus the safari sucks.
    Helibee and frickenmotarded like this.
  2. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Rade - first of all, thank you for driving this initiative forward - as with your other solutions, this looks fantastic and I'm excited to see more as it progresses. In terms of your questions:

1- the hole that you're pointing at is a threaded hole designed to be a mounting point for the stock under seat tray - if that tray is removed to make way for the under seat tank then I see no reason why you couldn't use it. That particular section of the main subframe hoop is internally reinforced (with internal ribbing) aluminum. With that said, some people have had their subframes reinforced to repair or avoid the dreaded SE subframe failures so that work and additional gusseting may create a conflict for the proposed tank. Something to think about...
    2- moving the electrics (primarily the fusebox, relays and other bits and pieces) somewhere toward the front can work from the perspective of wiring lengths with the exception of any wiring that goes to the back; tail light, license plate light, turn indicators but those are two simple harnesses that can be extended with a plug and play harness. I think the real issue is that not everyone runs open air filters or relocated regulator rectifiers which makes any space directly in front of the battery difficult to utilize. I can't speak for everyone but keeping the electrics entirely under the seat offers many benefits; easier to relocate the fuse box, relay array and starter relay if they stay in the same general area, weather resistance by keeping stuff under the seat, general ease of installation and servicing.

As for a tail tidy / tail light mounting solution, I would suggest asking people interested in your tank if they want to retain the stock tail light or of theyd consider something else. In looking at your tank design and the subframe mounts that remain accessible in the back, I think the DRC DRZ400 tidy tail solution would work very nicely and it provides a simple aluminum bracket that holds a license plate bracket (US plate size but adapters can be easily made), a license plate light, LED tail light and turn signal mounts.

My vote is for reducing capacity by one litre to accommodate the electrics to remain under the seat.

Keep up the great work - this is fantastic!
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  3. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    This is the DRC light that I'm referring to - some of us SE riders already installed them and they come with two small L-shaped brackets for turn indicators. The overall shape works really well with the trailing edge of the SE rear plastic - the shape of the light lens matches the angle of the rear fender perfectly.

http://www.drcproducts.com/elect/d45-29-34/index_alumnum.html

image.jpeg
    RibRoy likes this.
  4. frickenmotarded

frickenmotarded Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be running mine with a Powercell tank as well, I'm sure the electrics underseat and sacrifice a litre would be worth it and the effort to really minimize the space they occupy.
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  5. frickenmotarded

Oddometer:
    Which part number works the best for the SE?
  6. rade

rade Adventure enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I need pix. of the reinforced frames!!! We will modify the tank to fit also to reinforced frames.
    I do wait for the pix. Untill the end of this week! Than we continue with finalization of the mould.

you can send me the pix. also to rade@radegarage.com

Thanks Rade
  7. frickenmotarded

Oddometer:
    Or post them up mine needs modification and I'd love to get a visual consensus of what everyone does.
  8. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are a bunch of pictures of reinforced frames in these threads.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/se-subframe-failure-it-dont-take-much.1011408/

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/950-se-subframe-problems-yes-or-no.554395/
    frickenmotarded likes this.
  9. 950sektm

950sektm n00b

Oddometer:
    +1 For sacrificing tankvolym to fit electrics.
  10. Duane1969

Duane1969 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Alongat..............like he said.........which one for our SE????? (The DRC tail light kit)

Thanks!
  11. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Oops, I didn't see that question.

Here's a link to the DRC products page that shows the various models of the DRC Edge 2 tail light and bracket. The one I'm using is part number D45-18-706 - it's the Red lens version for the DRZ400 which has the triangle shaped upper bracket. I was SE t the version with the smoked lens by mistake and I didn't like it and got the red lens sent to me separately but its up to you which lens to use.

Link to DRC DRZ400 light: http://www.drcproducts.com/elect/d45-29-34/index_alumnum.html

A few things to note with this kit:
    1- it does come with L-shaped bolt-on brackets that you can use for your turn indicators and the brackets bolt onto the bracket itself though I drilled two new holes for these brackets to tuck my turn indicators further forward and inward to keep them more protected from falls
    2- the triangle shaped upper portion of the bracket required two small notches cut into it to tuck the entire light assembly forward and under the tail section enough so that the lens lined up perfectly with the edge of the SE's rear plastics
    3- it is not plug and play with the KTM harness plug - you can choose how you want to connect it, either cannibalize the plug from your stock tail light or use something like wire taps to connect it to your stock light harness. I chose to cannibalize the stock plug from my stock SE tail light so that the new light could be plugged in and out as required
    4- the license plate bracket is designed for US sized license plates (tags) so for others, a small bracket or drilling holes may be required
    5- the triangle portion of the bracket required four holes drilled into it: two for its mounting bolts and two larger holes for the SE's rear handle rear bolts to pass through when you bolt the handles or rear rack back on
    6- I wanted as much mightily as possible out back to be easily seen by cars, etc so I actually built a small plastic bracket that I attached to my DRC tail light bracket that runs down behind the license plate and results in a mounting bracket for this little DRC light so now I have the DRC tail light PLUS this light just below my license plate and it acts as an extra brake light: http://www.drcproducts.com/elect/d45-29-33/index.html

I don't want to divert the focus of this thread so if it helps, I can start another thread on this tail light and add some pictures of my install. Keep in mind that with my install, I am running a 2in1 exhaust and I've cut my plastic under seat tray at the back section to taper it upward more like a dirt bike but neither of those are required to use the tail light or Rade's proposed fuel tank. Let me know and I can snap pictures of my assembly and post them as my back end is currently apart for development of other solutions.
    frickenmotarded likes this.
  12. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I will be in my garage today - will snap some pictures of what this tail light looks like on my 950SE.
    Jeremy K, RibRoy, LocuL and 1 other person like this.
  13. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    Awesome!! So glad you guys are going forward with the tank!! My vote is one less liter and keep the electronics in the normal location!! I'm ready to buy when they are available!
  14. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    Post# 128 of this thread.
  15. Paddy O'Doolin

Paddy O'Doolin KTM 950 Super Enduro

Oddometer:
    Rade, I'm ready to throw down the Benjies... What is the ETA on this tank?
    Off Road Ryder likes this.
  16. Duane1969

Duane1969 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks! :thumbup
  17. sebelefant

sebelefant 950ser 525exc cagivas 900ie and 750ac

Oddometer:
    Really interested;(me plus a friend not here);
    hope you 'll do it
    does 950 adv tank could mount with some mod on se?
  18. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Completely different shape subframe on the two bikes - I'll let Rade chime in but I'd say it's not likely at all.
  19. beekay

beekay n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,
    I'm new to the forum and just found this thread. Awesome idea from Rade, put me down for one !!! Never liked the look of the safari tank, spoils the lines of the bike for me, this underseat tank will be just the ticket for touring round west Scotland where petrol stations are few and far between.
    Cheers,
    beekay.
  20. outbacktm

outbacktm Bullrun Bison Supporter

Oddometer:
    beekay,
    Welcome to the best se thread, you will find most all se question can be answered by inmates that post here
    Very supportive group, sounds like you are fortunate to own one of if not the best bikes ever build, certainly one of the most fun. Have you checked out the powercell gas tank? Adds volume and carries the weight lower, most really like the look on the bike. I sport the ugly ( to some ) Safari tank that came with the bike when I bought it
    Check out the super enduro photos thread lots of examples on there
    Again welcome to the club
    beekay likes this.