Spectre adventure? Decisions...

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by +venture, May 22, 2020.

1. +venture

+venture Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    K. I’m a cheap bastard. Bought this 1983 750 Spectre for 1100. 6500 miles, one owner, runs like new. PO had recently had it serviced. New tires, carbs cleaned and synched. Yes!
    Never had a cruiser before. Ergos are not good. I changed the handlebars already. Wondering if a seat from a regular KZ will fit. Anyone know?
    Do I keep it stock or try to ‘adventure-ize’ it? If so, gotta be done frugally.
    What do you all think?

Attached Files:

bodine003 likes this.
  2. Geschift

Geschift Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it was such a good deal, but not exactly your cup of tea, why not sell it with a nice profit?
    Prmurat and +venture like this.
  3. +venture

Oddometer:
    Because it runs so well and checks off a lot of boxes I guess.
    Plus, not really a good time to sell, and so rare to have an original title from 1984.
  4. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    Keep the parts and don't make mods that can't be un-done.
    It's a unique and attractive version of a cruiser style, IMO.
    Shaft drive and a bullet-proof engine.
    A GPz750 kept me pretty happy seventeen years (or maybe it was the kids).
    WooPig, Johann and +venture like this.
  5. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, keep it as is - too nice an old bike to mess up and it will maybe even gain in value over the years.
    Prmurat and +venture like this.
  6. +venture

Oddometer:
    Keeping it stock is what I think I’m going to do. It drives so nice except for the ergos.
    Anyone know if the GPZ seat would fit?
  7. Johann

Johann Commuterous Tankslapperous

Oddometer:
    The model it is based on (Engine and shaft) is the GT750...

[​IMG]

I don´t know if the seats from GPZ/Z/GT will fit as the subframe may be slightly different.

I think the Spectre had the same cams as the GPz750R1 which makes it a respectably quick bike even by todays standards.

The seat doesn´t look that bad, changing the bars to something much lower wouldn´t be expensive or difficult. I bet that would sort out a lot of the problems with the ergos. It would be the first thing I´d try.

It isn´t really a cruiser, it´s a UJM with silly handlebars, a vaguely customish tank, a stepped(ish) seat and a 16" rear wheel. From when Japan Inc were making a half assed attempt to cash in on cruiser sales in the US market. There is a very practical usable bike in there under the styling. Longer term I wonder if the 18" rear wheel from the GT would be a direct swap? I think it would look better as a standard road bike, it would be a total pig on anything off tarmac, not a very good choice for anything unsealed. The exhaust is exposed and the filter cover is on the bottom of the engine.

Here´s an 1100 with lower bars, that´s what I´d do if it was mine (minus topbox!)

[​IMG]
  8. +venture

Oddometer:
    I put lower bars on it but they were just wrong. I felt hung out over the gas tank and the cables, hoses, etc. were all kinked up. So...
    I put the original bars in my vice, got a long pipe and bent them to where I thought they needed to be, cut and inch off each end, and voila, they feel great now.

I have an inch of dense foam and gonna buy the Stearns atv seat cover and put it over the foam until I can find/figure out a replacement.

That idea about the GT750 wheel has me intrigued. How am I gonna find out what swaps onto to what?

Oh, and the engine runs amazing. Not going to change a thing on that, especially not the exhaust, has the original Kawasaki plaque and everything... Good torque down low, plenty of top end - of course I'm coming off a '74 Bonneville and a DR350SE, so...
  9. Johann

Oddometer:
    I don´t know if the GT was ever sold in the US, look for fiches on sites like cmsnl.

ETA: The GT550 shaftie might be another option, never compared parts don´t know.

ETA: The swingarms look identical to me, Kawasaki reused lots of parts across different models, it´s at least a probable.

Here´s a fiche for a GT550...
    https://cluarankawasaki.weebly.com/gt550-parts-microfiche.html

And one for the 750 Spectre
    https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motorcycle/1983/spectre-kz750-n2/drive-shaft-final-gears

And one for a GT750
    https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/kawasaki-parts/1992-gt750-motorcycles/drive-shaft-final-gear

The swingarm, shaft, rear case and bevel box for the 550/750 look identical, but the GT550 rear wheel is drum as opposed to disc on the GT750 and Spectre. I´m sure there would be other things along the way. You would probably need to source any parts from breakers, a lot of OEM stuff for early 80s Kawasakis is getting harder to find. Or just live with the 16" rear wheel unless it is actually a problem, that would be the easiest option, leaving it standard might make it easier to sell on.

More info here...

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/kawasaki/Kawasaki_Z750N Spectre.htm
    +venture likes this.
  10. pictish ratter

pictish ratter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]Uk got this version so probably the seat /bars would fit
    +venture likes this.
  11. +venture

Oddometer:
    Great. Thanks for all the great info. If it was a straight switch I might go for it.
    Otoh, it’s pretty good just as is. :brow
  12. Johann

Oddometer:
    Every part number is an exact match for the swingarm, shaft and rear wheel/hub, I can´t see any difference, but tend to agree if it isn´t broken why fix it. The advantages I could see are slightly reduced rake and trail plus revs dropped by a few hundred at motorway speed plus maybe a better tyre choice but don´t think the tyre choice for 18" rears in that size is that stellar anyway.
    +venture likes this.
  13. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Reluctant Nihilist.

Oddometer:
    Probably easier to find a wheel from a KZ1000ST on this side of the Atlantic.
    +venture likes this.
  14. +venture

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  15. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pro-Pad
    +venture likes this.
  16. snake89

snake89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a 550 that with a little work i used a KZ550 tank and a Omars flat track seat from one of my old racers. KZ1000 frontend (that bolted on) 750 Zephyr rear shocks, GPZ550 pipe and jet kit. I played on several miles of gravel roads with it. 550 Tracker (2017_05_17 02_35_22 UTC).jpg
    +venture likes this.
  17. +venture

Oddometer:
    Pro Pads look good, but they’d cost a tenth of the bike, and I’m a cheap bastard :lol3
  18. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the KZ1000P driver's seat and rear parcel shelf would fit (and suit)? The USA got plenty of them. If so it would be a much more comfortable ride.
    +venture likes this.
  19. +venture

Oddometer:
    That's an awesome idea. Thanks