1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Speculation about the next generation Boxer GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by leafman60, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Cruiser market isn't all that booming for usual suspects anyway - even the legendary potahto-potahto-potahto V-twins aren't selling they way they used to... :deal

If R18C rides and handles well, isn't a dog like predecessor R12C used to be, has enough aftermarket support with loud pipes and other "necessary" cruiser accessories, it should do well... We'll see...
    jaystonewee likes this.
  2. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    can you say "Carbon Fiber"?
  3. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    An 800-900cc boxer is what they should be doing, but oh no, the next boxer will be so large it will require training wheels and a harbor pilot to get it out of a parking lot.
  4. sonnystile

sonnystile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Isn’t the boxer you all want still in production as the R9T?

Why not just HP2 the hell outta an Urban GS?
  5. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take that common sense crap to another forum!

This is the internet and I have the right to speculate, complain, and spew random BS at will. I deserve it!
  6. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Touratech did that with a R9T and they even published a list of parts and the cost of doing it was pretty high. The parts were almost half the cost of the bike so it wasn't worth it for normal guys. Also the HP2 was hand built so comparing even a beefed up R9T and the HP2 isn't quite the same thing.
    jaystonewee likes this.
  7. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    All the people complaining about the new boxer being too powerful or heavily or whatever, clearly haven’t ridden the damn thing. All the electronics complaints are easily resolved with a mode button and if your a half competent rider, the bike kicks ass in the dirt. People that complain about the price haven’t dug into the bike to see what they are getting. Bottom line, the current production 1250 is a kick ass adventure bike with lots of power and ability off road. No, it’s not a 250cc trail bike and no, it’s not a 1Kcc sport bike. But in the right hands, the bike will embarrass a lot or sport bikes and even a couple trail bikes. BMW built a kick ass bike. All that really needs to be done is peel the OEM rubber off and put some real adventure tires on it.:ricky
  8. upsscott

upsscott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve just read this whole thread and I couldn’t agree with you more. Appreciate what the bike is and try not to get caught up on what it isn’t. The perfect do it all bike does not exist.
  9. Pabst

Pabst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about the Urban GS with a bigger tank, low suspension, a real seat, cruise control and I'll take care of the rest.
  10. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was there anything at the recent EICMA show that gave insight into the next gen boxer???

11. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    ^^Larger, more expensive and comes with a Starbucks Gift Card.
    BigMac75 and upsscott like this.
  12. upsscott

upsscott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don’t forget heavier.
    x32792 likes this.
  13. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL
  14. picard

picard engage!

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Additionally, I find the boxer more balanced when maneuvering difficult terrain (center of gravity, stability due to longitudinal crank). I also find the boxer much easier to pick up than the 800/850 since it typically does not fall over all the way flat on its side.

So, while a 800 boxer would be fantastic, but I doubt that BMW will create competition with their already existing product line.
    darmahman likes this.
  15. picard

picard engage!

Oddometer:
    What? That is hard to believe but very sad if true. My cheap 2015 VW came with carplay and there is no subscription or anything. I have never heard about that. I also would not think that it can be turned off once implemented into the entertainment system.
  16. Mike M

Mike M Long-timer... Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW really should come out with a real mid-sized boxer ADV bike. KTM's 790 is supposed to be the cats ass for someone who really wants that kind of machine.
    Norsman likes this.
  17. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  18. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I much prefer the RNineT MaxBMW Put together:
    [​IMG]
  19. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    It looks like too early for that - by this time likely in 2022 we should be discussing '23 R13GS/As... :D

As for recent show, there are few youtube "reports" for your viewing pleasure - new F900R, F900 XR, S1K XR, R18 cruiser concept are more or less "it"...

It seems that BMW is focusing more on adventure looking bikes, as that's what's selling, rather than a real adventurers like HP2E or smaller R boxer w shaft etc etc...
  20. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    I guess that's why '19 Shifty sold out way before MY ended and there's waiting list for '20 Shifty - twas Sbux Gift Card incentive... :lol3

Kidding aside, BMW obviously knows what they're doin' and aren't losing any sleep over the fact that you, me and few others are keeping our old LCs and aren't upgrading (thus giving up on Sbux card)... :D
    SidewinderX and JimVonBaden like this.