1. eNewsletter Sign Up

2. Dismiss Notice

Speculation about the next generation Boxer GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by leafman60, Jul 11, 2019.

1. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wait.
    Do you know the (real value) on the Sbux card?
  2. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    No but am guessing it's ~$25K give-or-take-a-few and you get free bike w it... :lol3
    SidewinderX likes this.
  3. turnerm

turnerm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No matter how they change it, lighter, carbon frame etc, half of the people will complain and wish it went back to the previous.
    I like the bike a lot as is.
    JimVonBaden and NorthIdaho800gsa like this.
  4. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would have liked the liquid cooled motor in the Hexhead chassis.
  5. turnerm

turnerm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish they would go back to air cooling, single rear shock, drum brakes, throttle cables, carbs, etc.

I think what some people have to accept is that the R12GS is not the choice for real dirt riding. It’s more on the road side of adventure bikes.
    If I was more interested in the dirt ability, I’d get the 850GS, or the Africa Twin or the KTM.
    Any drastic changes to make the 12GS more dirt worthy will take away from what we like about it.
    Making it much lighter will take away from something. Either the strength of the frame, luggage capability, hp or something.
  6. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of good points from all. My guess is that we will see a continued lock-step march ahead with the competition to increase engine horsepower. That single number seems to always feature prominently in all motorcycle reviews and coffee table discussions of any bike.

Cutting weight would be a HUGE accomplishment that may displace the obsession with horsepower but I don't see any way to gain big weight savings. These things are already all plastic and aluminum but maybe the engineers see further than I can.

A side note of personal affinity- I am not overly fond of BMW body design in recent years. They have really gone far out in utilizing the built-up, layered elements to design. Virtually no smooth surfaces or smooth lines remain on any part of the BMW bodywork for any of their bikes. One contorted-shaped panel after another is placed upon each other to complete a built-up body segment.

7. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    I don't get the obsession with small, light, underpowered bikes. You want a small bike, go buy one. Alot of companies make them. The Honda ruckus is popular in the area just south of me with the college kids. Cheap too I hear. Ticks all your boxes.

Let it go. Bmw isn't going to castrate themselves. They know the product they sell, so why would they change that? Go elsewhere for small and light and go kick another deaf horse. Shits getting old.
  8. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    All of the calls for a lighter GS are very worthy and logical sentiments. I'm glad people are making them. It shows some consensus of what riders want. I certainly don't think it means they want "small, light, underpowered bikes." That's a rather stupid reaction. LOL

I have an older airhead GSPD and I cannot help but compare it with my 1200GSLC. There's a great difference between the two. Pros and cons both ways. I do like the smaller/compact feel of the older bike.

AdamChandler likes this.
  9. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are insanely lucky to live at a time where there's truly a bike for everyone. We have highway-capable scooters, Groms, Monkeys, Goldwings with 2 and 3 wheels, luggage or not, huge 1800CC cruisers with 1200 watt sound systems, high torque 500 and 690cc dirt bikes, fuel injected 2-strokes that pass Euro 4, Touring bikes, commuters, retro bikes and scramblers. There are Cafe racer hobbyist and production versions in the form of throw-backs. You can buy a bike that weighs 200 pounds or 1000 with ABS or not, we have auto cruise control coming to KTMs and BMWs, Apple CarPlay on the new GoldWing, a huge ADV market and life saving gear in the form of neck braces, airbag vests, D30 gear and rainproof gear. You can cruise the world in a heated suit with navigation, cruise control, auto leveling suspension OR throw a Safari tank on your DR650 or KTM690 and forge your own roads.

Not to mention the millions of used bikes out there with low miles and farkles for the taking because right now it's a buyers market.

BMW may not always make every bike we desire but the industry as a whole has something for everyone. You can spend 20 grand and have a garage full of used bikes that fit every style of riding you could dream of.

Put me in the camp of wanting a lighter GS but with the onslaught of rider aids coming to these premium bikes (lane detection, auto cruise control, heads up displays and more stringent emissions), I think the touring bikes will only get heavier. I think what most of us would like is an Enduro-Stylized R NineT with proper suspension and spoked wheels. For a lot of dirt-loving GS owners, they just buy a 500EXC or 690 Enduro R and leave their GS on the Tarmac. That's just a more realistic goal than wishing BMW made a lighter and more off-road capable GS. The Urban GS fully missed the mark. A fun bike but it is in no way akin to the HP2 Enduro. A trail ready boxer probably won't happen but thankfully KTM has you covered from 125CC all of the way up to 790.
  10. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    I agree Adam. Buy the bike that suits your need. Just tired of people kicking a dead horse over something that will prolly never happen. You want a small, light weight bike....swell...go buy one. Just stop asking bmw to make one. that is like me getting on a Ferrari forum everyday and saying how much I love my 360....and I wish they would get their head out of their ass and build a diesel pickup. Because Americans want pickups. It's fucking retarded and it gets old.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW needs a reality check. The 1250 Adventure has grown to a complete overweight pig. It’s a cartoon character of the GS genre. Now I’m sure BMW is working on the next gen GS, and if it’s going to be a 1300 with another added 20lbs, forget it.:loco
    LowOnFuel and AdamChandler like this.
  12. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    Obviously the majority disagree. Because the overweight, pig of a 1250 is selling like hot cakes.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  13. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the camp for design going lighter and simpler. As in older threads on this topic i repeat my idea of a lighter tubular frame or lighter frame casting sections, using double sided swing arm making for a simpler lighter more robust final drive assembly. I love my 1150 and the two 1200's i have but with a lighter chassis design the boxer engine could be slimmed down or capped at 1,000 cc, with less body paneling tacked all over the place like the current offering has and a form follows function tank we then have an elegant machine where weight and usable power are in harmony therefore giving us an easier to ride better handling faster bike. Scrolling over the previous pages in this thread i notice many references to TFT, touch screens etc, i abhor this stuff on a bike. The 1200 adv i bought came with a gps, i removed it the next day, i found it a distraction. As long as i have a waterproof place to put my maps(s) i'm happy.:*sip*
    OzRider64 likes this.
  14. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 850 boxer was tried, it was a horrible failure in the USA. Of course they did it wrong. I have faith a new 900 boxer would also fail, of course people would say they did it wrong too.
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  15. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    I'm not so sure that conclusion can be made positively :dunno

The fact remains that, as a platform altogether, GS/As are one of the bestest compromises without having separate bikes for various riding tasks... So much so, that even few RT riders I know from regional Be-Yum-DoubleU club, have given up on upgrading to newer RTs and have gone GS/A way... :deal
  16. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    The R850 weighed virtually the same as the 1100 variant, other than bore/stroke nothing else was pared down, of course it was doomed. I'm talking about lighter construction from scratch.:*sip*
    LowOnFuel likes this.
  17. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You mean like the R1200R or R9T?
  19. turnerm

turnerm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed. People buy these bikes like crazy. Why would they go in an opposite direction?
    Then again, BMW owners seem to be the biggest whiners and complainers. No offense.
    I’ve seen this in forums for the K12RS and the R1100S too. So much whining about how they weren’t sporty enough or light enough. Then they would whine that the R1200S doesn’t have big cases or isn’t touting enough. etc, etc.
    Everyone has the right to say what they want, but sometimes I think people are buying the wrong bike, or need several bikes.
  20. turnerm

turnerm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good points, but so many are obsessed with power. It doesn’t matter how much power the latest boxer puts out, people buy all kinds of gadgets to try to make it more powerful. I don’t see a smaller engine with less power fitting into that equation.