Speed GOAT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by DirtyDog, May 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
  2. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    I think that was us. Two KLR S.
  3. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was you, Jerry? I thought it was a blue KLR and a silver? F650, but maybe not. Either way, that’s what I was referring to when I called myself an “inconsiderate asshole.” I had swapped sides after I passed the grader because my side (the ungraded side) narrowed down and there were limbs hanging into the road. I neglected to immediately swap back to my side and met two bikes in the corner.

No matter if it was you or someone else, I was planning to describe it here and apologize. I have it on video.
    sawin44 and eaglescan like this.
  4. sawin44

sawin44 Always looking for new roads!

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on the feat! I figured it could be done but haven't had the chance to try it for myself and was waiting for more daylight. You will have to try the updated route next time. I would join you also!

I have updated advrider with the new GPX track file. there were several changes since the last version. Use the Google Drive link to get the full gpx file with a couple of optional sections in the GPX file.

GPS Downloads- https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QRiKfBSGnnOSskNnPalNHpIYCVDD2ncT?usp=sharing
    FB Group Page- https://www.facebook.com/groups/2919260181421930/
    flamingm0e likes this.
  5. Newner

Newner Buffering

Oddometer:
    Congrats Jason.

Interesting responses, I grew up on the back roads like the goat and my family still live on these type of roads. We are far from an issues for those property owners. They are much more concerned with the 16 year old boy in his new bro dozer rocking Luke Bryan and blowing by their properties at 80 mph.

Cheers
    sawin44, Crash217, Krabill and 4 others like this.
  6. FlyingWWW

FlyingWWW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The "facebook" people are the same people here on this site. Nothing bad was said just a few valid concerns. I'm all over that area on street and dirt every weekend. I'm sure I piss off a fair share of people.
    flamingm0e and sawin44 like this.
  7. dewey405

dewey405 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True, but DD doesn’t do the Facebook thing I don’t think....and it did kinda blow up lol. But I’ve also ridden with some of the people saying to slow down and was doing 60 on a back road while they easily pulled away from me so it seems silly to call others out. Although it was a good point to be respectful of the area you’re riding through.
    Crash217 likes this.
  8. Dan D.

Dan D. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    Crash217 likes this.
  9. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Well, the dust has settled, so to speak. The ride was a success and I have 29 helmet cam videos (a bunch of short highlights) and an equal number of photos. That's a fair number considering this wasn't a scenic photo tour. But for people unfamiliar to the GOAT or what riding in Oklahoma is like, I thought I should show some of the terrain.

I also plan to describe the ride, my strategy, repairs made, animals encountered, various observations and things along the way, etc. Plus, I will address some of the facebook drama described above.
    ----------------------------
    But before that, here are the stats.

Door to door, it was 583 miles according to the bike's odometer. I left at 5:50am and returned home at 10:30pm. More than 16h total for the day.:knary
    Based on where I live in relation to the GOAT, I felt it was best to start where it crosses the hwy ~60 miles due east of my house. I decided to ride counter-clockwise (no reason, really). I attempted to plan for fuel stops based on my range, which divided the ~430 mile route into 4 sections. I carried a 1-gal can on the tail rack for emergencies and left home with a full tank to accommodate my approach and Section 1. I navigated and logged each section via GaiaGPS on my iPhone. The stats below come from the app data with the exception that I hand-calculated the overall average based on the total time (which included maintenance stops when I wasn't logging).

GOAT Stats.jpg
    *Please note that each section includes pavement and sometimes long stretches of state highways. Don't interpret these speeds to mean they were all on dirt next to people's homes.:nah

The 3h between total time and riding time comprises fuel stops, piss breaks, snack breaks, repairs, etc.

The sections are color-coded counter-clockwise from my start heading south from the blue line.
    IMG_6241.jpg

sawin44, rufus, Krabill and 5 others like this.
  10. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Fun read. Thanks.
  11. mayoisnasty

mayoisnasty trials wannabe

Oddometer:
    Heckuva ride. I've rode that route. You are a madman.:lol3
  12. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Left the house about 30 min later than I'd planned. Couldn't sleep the night before. Maybe anxiety? I woke at about 3am after a vivid dream. I won't bore you with the details, but I'll just say it dealt with (non-motorcycle) travel, inclement weather, and unwittingly causing a dramatic accident. I feared it might be an omen and this haunted me for quite a while that morning while riding, but I shook it off.

The sky was just starting to brighten. Yes, the bike was already dirty, but not the spray on kind. Real mud from a tire break-in ride a few days prior.
    IMG_6243.jpg

Section 1 was only 26 miles, but it was on the heels of my approach ride of >60 miles, so based on the location of a fuel stop, it made sense. Largely, it was uneventful. I started it at just before 7am, so at this time of day, I generally have higher concerns about people pulling vehicles out of driveways plus limited visibility due to sunrise glare and dark shadows. Of course, this section was so short that these risks extended into Section 2.

Video highlights aren't too exciting. Just painting a picture of the route. Generally gravel roads surrounded by private land. Possibly a Wildlife Management Area or two. I know the route traverses several.

Here's an example of how the glare can be a factor. This is nothing new to a motorcyclist.

Here's a basic example of a passing motorist and the friendly waves I dealt and received for the entire day. I ALWAYS slowed for someone walking and never performed a dirty pass to overtake a vehicle. On slab, I near-always wait for the passing zones. On dirt, I always wait for them to pull over, wave me by, or slow down. If they don't do any of these things after waiting a while, I will pass wherever I feel it is safe and at a reasonable speed.
    sawin44, Krabill, Crash217 and 4 others like this.
  13. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    At the end of Section 1, I found the fuel station I was seeking and parked the bike to stretch my legs for the first time. What I saw when I dismounted was confusing to my eyes. I'd strapped a 1 gal fuel can to my tail rack and I felt the Rok straps I used were quite secure. When off the bike, I noticed 1) the fuel can was upside down and 2) it looked like it had a giant splat of bird shit on it. Wtf? :scratch
    IMG_6245.jpg
    IMG_6246.jpg

What I quickly realized was that it was not bird shit and I had luckily survived a near death experience (NDE). I recall once during the section that I reached back and felt the fuel can was secure behind me. The route wasn't severely rugged, that I recall, but apparently, the hybrid bungee/nylon Rok straps were insufficient to keep the fuel can in position and it slid out of its bindings and dangled at the end of my left exhaust. The bird shit lookalike was the partially melted and perforated plastic in the ring shape of my exhaust tip. And the black cap of the fuel can was melted too. Holy crap. That would have been a disaster!!
    :kboom

Somehow the thing bounced back onto the rack with the melted/perforated side facing up and there was nearly a gallon of gas still in it. So I dumped it in the tank and threw the can in the garbage. As I poured it, fuel was trickling out through the burned area.

Serious lesson learned- don't use Rok straps to secure an explosive device. And I'm glad my carbs are tuned right and the stock exhaust (with catalytic converter) isn't shooting fire.

Topped up the bike with 87 octane (bike takes 91) and struck out on Section 2...
    sawin44, TMoore, dewey405 and 2 others like this.
  14. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    I thought strapping things all over your bike was just a KLR thing.
    Dirt2007 and TMoore like this.
  15. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Maybe so. I carry a tank bag and that's it. I didn't want to wear a backpack due to the added fatigue. You'll see how I store some repair items in later installments.

I only took extra fuel because I get 33mpg, so stretching beyond 150miles is questionable. In reality I did not need it and had I done more route prep, I would have had that confidence.
    sawin44 likes this.
  16. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
  17. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Yes that was me Jason on my blue KLR. And my friend Karl on his green and black KLR. I saw what happened so it did not piss me off. I will admit it did startLe with me though. I know that you would not have been over there if it had not been for the road grader. I would love to see that video.

we started out with four but one of my buddies had an encounter with a dog close to Siloam Springs. you may have heard about that. One of my other buddies drove to Siloam and picked him and the bike up in the emergency room. One of our riders went back with him and the truck. Karl and I decided to continue on since he was going back home safely.

if I remember correctly you do not do Facebook. there is a lot of chitchat on there about you going fast on the route. I told them you do like we all do we all go fast in the back roads when there are no residences. But we slow down when there are houses. I have a ridden with you before and I know you are a responsible rider
  18. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments here and on FB, Jerry. I’ll post the next round of videos here soon, including the grader.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  19. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing that video.
    DirtyDog likes this.
  20. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Section 2 was really getting into the meat of the trail. I started the section fretting a bit about my fuel disaster and thinking about Section 3, which was the longest. I just decided I'd be mindful of fuel and stop early when possible... especially if high-test ethanol-free was available. Honestly, the GOAT doesn't pass many fuel opportunities in the entire southeast quarter.

One thing I noticed rather immediately was that it seemed Wednesday was road grading day. After passing several road graders, I thought it couldn't be a coincidence. Maybe that particular county was doing a road maintenance push after recent rainfall. I know the creeks were pretty swollen in eastern and southeastern OK less than a week ago. I found some eroded roads, but that was a pleasant change from smooth gravel or pavement. Keeps me aware and stimulated.

When I passed an oncoming road grader on his first pass (perhaps the 2nd or 3rd I had seen), I thought it was a topic worth discussing here. For those unaware, as my SO was when I described this, a road grader makes a first pass scraping rocks, dirt, and gravel from one side of the road and leaves a mound in the center of the road (almost like a median). Depending on the road and the situation, this can be some big rocks and the pile can be tall. This was one of those times.

I was riding on the un-graded section (at a decent clip) and the road began to narrow. As the road grader width is constant, that meant the non-graded side was shrinking in width. It got down to about 3 or 4' wide and there were some branches hanging in the road, so rather than get battered by face-slappers, I just swapped over to the graded side for a bit. I turned on the helmet cam and recorded a few seconds of the conditions. The mistake I made was not swapping back to my side immediately when the branches were no longer an issue. In a matter of moments, I see a bike peek out from behind the trees as the road was bearing left a bit. I think I reacted quickly and swapped back to my side to recognize bike #1 was a KLR and my memory of bike #2 was fuzzy. Shit, that was a close one. Of course, I felt guilty about it. I wondered how close it really was to contact. But I knew there was none and the other rider held their line. I didn't stop and pressed onward. I had captured it on video, so I figured I'd review it later. That didn't keep me from feeling guilty though and I kept replaying it for a while. I was in the wrong and wondered if that were a new rider or if I'd caused them to crash in a panic out of my view around the corner. I think I was pretty mindful about holding my line on my side of the road for the remainder of the day. Knowing now that it was @fotobo, an accomplished rider that I've known for years, I feel better. Thanks for being a forgiving sport, Jerry.

Anyhow, here's the video. It is not edited and I started recording within a few seconds of swapping lanes.

As I said, I felt like an inconsiderate ass and this was ironically reinforced by what I saw soon after.

Soon after that, I paused at a creek crossing for a snack and checked in on this thread.
    IMG_6247.jpg IMG_6248.jpg IMG_6249.jpg IMG_6250.jpg IMG_6251.jpg IMG_6252.jpg
    TMoore, eaglescan, Krabill and 2 others like this.