Speed Triple 1200 announced

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Tritigex, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Tritigex

Tritigex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. CharlesLathe

CharlesLathe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Street bike engines are getting bigger and adventure bike engines are getting smaller. That's not a hard rule, of course, but it is a trend I've noticed.
  3. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    I got the promotional email from Triumph today too. Been pondering owning a Speedy for a while. Currently own a 765 Street Triple.

Rumours around for a while now they were going to join the HP race with the other super nakeds. That 1200 is going to be a monster, with torque everywhere I reckon.

Cant wait.
    Gone Troppo likes this.
  4. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lotza bling, as well...
  5. vsteel

vsteel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Even if they do join the horsepower wars, I can't imagine that the triple is not going to make a ton of mid range torque. I had 2006 Speed Triple and I loved it, it made great power you could actually put to the ground and use while riding. I really want to give one a test ride as soon as it hits my dealer.
  6. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Yay, another $22K, 170mph naked bike that is impossible for a regular person to ride without electronic aids turned on.
    CRFan1, chazbird, Wolf_ADV and 10 others like this.
  7. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what people think they want. We Guzzi riders know better....................

And don't flame too hard, I owned one for a few years. Fun bike, but too much for the road......for me.
    tennmoto and rc51owner like this.
  8. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was underwhelmed by the current Speedy. I think they pushed their own bike out of the market. The 765 is just so good. I don't care if they try and compete with the SDR, but it needed something more. Glad they are re-doing it!

Please put a real fuel tank on it, rather than saddling it with a sub 4 gallon tank though!! To me, 4.5 gallon on a 1200 naked is the sweet spot. 160 miles plus a half gallon reserve...
  9. mjfields_228

mjfields_228 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    5400 miles on a 2011 Triumph Speed Triple base
    9000 miles on a 2017 Speed Triple R model
    12000 miles on a 2019 Speed Triple RS Model

I have owed a KTM SDR, BMW S1000R, and a Suzuki GSX-S1000 plus a fuck ton of other bikes since 2010

For me, the 2019 Speed RS is the best bike that I have ever owned. I lowered the gearing (Plus 2T rear sprocket) and it has very ample power when I want to be silly boy. Most noteworthy, however, it is when I ride the RS like a well behaved person is where the bike truly shines--it is beyond smooth from 1RPM to 10500RPM.

This all being said, it is clear that I am an ardent fan of the 1050 Triple (I owned a 2015 Street Triple R too and LOVED it) and I am very looking forward to what this new 1200 RS has to offer. My ultimate dream is that Triumph makes a 1200 Tiger Sport model with better ergo's and a little wind protection. This would be a perfect replacement for my current long distance machine (BMW S1000XR). The new Tiger Sport 850 did not attract me enough to consider it based on the specs and many of the reviews by bloggers that I trust and respect.

Fingers crossed!!!!!
    FalconXR, fldfcnscsnss and CBejbl like this.
  10. vsteel

vsteel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Triumph is really good with their motors where they will have the electronic aids but they are not required if you don't want them. They make a lot of mid range so they are very controllable and still haul and have power where you can use it in daily driving. Not like some of the previous bikes I have been on where when you break the speed limit in 1st gear they are really starting to wake up and run.

I think they miss named the sport. It is really a replacement for the base spec Tiger 900. It is more of an entry or novice bike than what the old Tiger Sport with the 1050 was.
  11. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Triumph's larger triples are traditionally torque beasts.

Don't be scurred.

Even the wilder super nakes are pretty easy to ride in analogue mode....just need throttle control.

Its a bike it'll do what you tell it, don't tell it dumb things.
  12. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:

Yeah. They completely missed the mark with that name.
    And the Tiger Sport 1050 very much IS, not WAS, thankyouverymuch.
    CDBAE36A-F273-44FC-9EBA-43308F128CAE.jpeg
  13. fxrjon

fxrjon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd kill to have a Tiger Sport with one of the modern mills. I had a gen 3 Tiger 1200, that motor was fantastic. It was great on the highway, tearing up corners and event commuting, probably the best all around bike I've ever owned. Shame it was so heavy.
  14. vsteel

vsteel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the US we have not been able to get the sport for several years. I forgot other markets could still have it. :(
    Hamamelis, T-34 and gobux like this.
  15. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    LOL!...well, depending on how the torque and horsepower curve ends up, it's not really all about 175mph. Big displacement bikes often provide awesome powerbands in the low and mid-range that makes riding them a pleasure. Pulling away from a stoplight and getting to the 45mph speed limit can be very satisfying on a nice, fat powerband...as well as rolling on to pass traffic at highway speeds. Unless this new engine is all tuned out to only run well at high rpm...and knowing Triumph I doubt that...this big displacement engine might put a smile on one's face.

Surely they won't make this an engine you have to wring its neck to get nice, fat, low end power...like the fire breathing 600-650cc crotch rocket models out there.
    JohnnyWaffles and rick danger like this.
  16. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 175HP Speed Triple (if the rumor is true) is just putting the S3 back in play with the top dog nakeds: Ducati Streetfighter, Aprilia Tuono, BMW S1000R and maybe KTM-sumthing. Personally, I'm happy to see this. If we take a look at a lot of the new bikes in the sporty/naked world (Duc SS, Duc Monsters, Duc Hyper, Triumph 1200 parallel twins, etc.) they all seem to be in this 100-120HP range. Which, as any experienced rider knows, is plenty of power for getting in trouble on the street. But, where's the excitement in that? Remember when a 2006 GSXR-1000 had like 175+ HP or something and no traction control or power modes? (maybe my year is wrong....it was somewhere circa '06)

I guess what I'm saying is, we need these bikes available. The Tuono, Streetfighter, Speed Triple, S1000R need to be ball-busting, heavy hitters....whether they make you run aware scared, squeal like a little girl or cry in your pants when your wring the throttle. We need them. I like it. I want one. Actually, right now, I want a Tuono V4...but the S3 has always been on my lust list.
    RC. likes this.
  17. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend had a 2007 Speed Triple, and that was by far the best fueled bike I've ever ridden.
  18. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    New Trumpy vs 1290 Super Duke R vs Strreetfighter V4 test...can't wait to read it...

There is no such thing as too much HP.
    TuonoBiker and rick danger like this.
  19. Volfy

Volfy Fava beans & a nice Chianti

Oddometer:
    I'm a big fan of the 1050 triple, having owned 3 Triumphs with that engine. Punched out 1200 would be great, but only in a package that is a bit more versatile than a naked streetfighter. I would love a Sprint 1200 instead, but I realize the chances of that happening is pretty darn slim.

Had a '14 Speed Triple R and like my '18 Street Triple R a lot better. To me, nakeds are short range bikes, for that, the smaller/lighter package just works better.
    upwgdrb and Gone Troppo like this.
  20. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Exactly why I dont understand why all the highest HP/torque bikes have you leaning over like you were going to do 170mph. Whats wrong with a bolt upright bike with 220 hp and mountains of torque, that goes from zero to ? with the front wheel an inch off the ground. People think high hp is only about top speed.