Speed Triple 1200 announced

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Tritigex, Jan 12, 2021.

1. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where's this one built? :amazon
    LuvPop and LuciferMutt like this.
  2. mjfields_228

mjfields_228 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No base models (S or R) are coming. The 44T video blokes interviewed the marketing dude from Triumph and he confirmed that.

As a former owner of 2011 base, 2017R and and currently a 2019 RS model this bike truly interests me. However, I’ve also formally own a S1000R and Super Duke 1290R and as I turn 55 and my body is still quite hostile with me since a bad get off in 2015 I am not “as attracted” to higher power machines and I’ll need to ride a new 2021 1200RS to see if the ergos are better than my 2019. If not really ....I’ll wait a year or two until all bugs are sorted and incentive prices are offered.

If the put this new motor in an upcoming Tiger Sport I am in!!!
  3. fxrjon

fxrjon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got to see one up close and personal today!

The fit and finish is impeccable as you would expect from Triumph. Tons of really nice details like the license plate holder being aluminum, I know most would replace it with a tail tidy but it was nice to see it with higher end materials. The riding position is a bit on the aggressive side for me, knees tucked back a bit more than I would have liked, but it was still pretty comfortable. The cable clutch seemed out of place, but thats a niggle.

PXL_20210126_210624338.jpg
  4. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    hmmmmmmmmmmmrmrmrmrmrrrrrrrrrmmm....I just can't get on board with the styling. I feel like it doesn't have enough presence. At least in the pics. I know it's in the name of saving weight and centering mass, but I feel like a fucking 1200cc 175hp motorcycle should be a little more burly looking and, well, larger. Like look at this pic of a 2001 speed triple 955, which, IMO, is the pinacle of the triple naked design from Triumph:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It looks like it's gonna beat your ass and steal your lunch money, and blast away laughing. The new 1200 looks exactly like the 675/765/whatever triples, and they are kinda svelte, sport, insect looking machines, but just don't do it for me. They might slip a knife in your kidney and take your money, but they have to be sneaky about it...

The 955 speed triple like those in the photos above, is, coincidentally, THE bike that made me want to ride motorcycles. I still remember the day I walked out of the building I was working in, and there was a brand new black one with a bunch of Ohlin's upgrades on it parked out front. I had NEVER seen anything like it and I was completely gobsmacked staring at it for about 15 minutes. I didn't know motorcycles could expose all the "bits" and look so fucking amazing. It started a fever sickness for me that has never stopped :lol3. Funnily enough, I've still never owned a Triumph triple, but the Trident is looking mighty attractive.
    Don03st, JHG67, AZbiker and 2 others like this.
  5. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's gorgeous in the flesh. I see a Trident back there to. Where were you?

6. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I like it. I want it......but until the idiots in the Triump paint department run out of flat grey and get back to offering White, Red, BRG, Blue, or any other interesting color....

I absolutely love the gloss green on the tank of the Scrambler 1200XC. Wish they would offer that...
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  7. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I watched about a half dozen reviews ... each one brings some different details. The Triumph rep mentioned that the valve springs are oval, and that there are 'finger followers' for the cams. Did I get that right? I'd like to see a diagram. Oval springs ... is this common and I'm just living under a rock?

I'd think dropping the second silencer did a lot to drop weight, no?

The lambchoprides guy mention that the reason for the two pipes going into the silencer was to provide two db levels, one for below ~6Krpm, and one for above (a valve switching between them). I was wondering about that.

A lot is being made of the shorter engine, but in my mind 17mm is not a lot. Any engineers here who can provide insight?
  8. Omarius

Omarius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, I recently bought a shitty Harley, and miss my MT10. I have to find a way to get this in the garage.
  9. fxrjon

fxrjon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles of Dulles in VA. The Triumph team had stopped in. They will have the bikes there today too before they move on.

The Trident was nice. While Im not exactly the target market for that bike I thought it was cool for what it was. Super narrow and comfortable
    oldoval likes this.
  10. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you saying that Triumph is taking bikes around to dealers for previews? If so, is there a schedule you know of? (my web search didn't reveal anything)
  11. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    They probably mean if you were to cut through the wire the spring is made out of it, it would be oval-shaped instead of round.

Not thrilled about an active valve in the exhaust. BMW has that shit in the the boxer bikes, and because it's an extremely hot, corroded, moisture prone area, the valves often fail/seize. A common mod is to rip them out.
  12. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ That makes sense ... I couldn't picture it.
    Okay, so finger followers (maybe I have the name wrong) ... this isn't a return to the 80s, right? I believe I recently heard of a contemporary bike that uses followers of some sort (reducing the height of the valve train if I'm not mistaken).
  13. FranknStein7

FranknStein7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a sweet dealership. Absolutely massive. If only I could afford to live in Loudoun county XD
  14. fxrjon

fxrjon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All I know is that it was a small roadshow with two stops. MoD and one other dealership (don't know which). I'm afraid I dont have any more than that. It was just kind cool that it was my local, and that I got to go check it out.

They are good folks. I've bought a number of bikes from them over the last couple of years. They are truly passionate about motorcycles and have always gone the extra mile to take care of me.
    FranknStein7 likes this.
  15. Volfy

Volfy Fava beans & a nice Chianti

Oddometer:
    I'm liking the new look a proper "naked" bike. Not that I think previous iterations didn't look good. I owend a '14 S3R and liked it a lot, but the tacked on plastics trims were obscuring the engine too much for what I consider a "naked" bike should be. Blame bikes like the TuonoV4 for the over-coverage swimsuit look. IMO, a naked streetfighter should have nothing more than a dental floss thong and string top bikini.

The MSRP... not so pretty.
  16. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Yes, they do that. My local dealers had the Trident and Tiger 850 a while back. They announced it on their mailing list.

Gustavo
  17. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    My KTM has finger followers. I feel no shame. [​IMG]
  18. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    @rick danger Thanks for the photo! Can you explain the rationale? Are they preferable to buckets? (Looks like they have a pivot point that buckets don't have.) Are there shims under them?
    I thought maybe the design allowed the camshafts to be offset from the valves in order to reduce height. I was wrong.
  19. rick danger

Oddometer:
    Yeah, there are shims that you change to make changes in the clearances. I just dug into mine for the first time this winter. Certainly more work to adjust the valve clearances with that design. The cams have to come out to change the shims. Luckily I just had the front cylinder to adjust. Rear was in spec.....Someone else will have to explain the pros and cons of it from a design and performance aspect.
    Chickenstrip likes this.
  20. rick danger

Oddometer:
    A couple more pics. the cam lobes push on the follower ,that has a pivot point. [​IMG][​IMG]
    Chickenstrip likes this.